New Z Car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Z Car

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Texas Forever, Aug 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I used to drool over the 300ZX TT when I was in high school ( graduated in ‘92 ) ....

MDS

anunakki and LARRYH like this.
  2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I bought a 1991 300ZXTT ... It was an awesome car at the time... it was very fast for its day .. I only sold it when i bought my 1997 VIPER GTS. which i still have always wished I had kept the 300ZX also .. this car will be worth looking at..

anunakki, Texas Forever and mikesufka like this.
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #28 TheMayor, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    Here's a video of it

Its not very attractive IMO but with 400 HP, a 6 speed manual, and a price about $40K it would be a fun car to knock around with.

Texas Forever and BJK like this.
  4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #29 TheMayor, Oct 3, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    I've done quite a bit of looking around for info on this car and to be honest, I would get one -- a base one with a manual. If I could get one without that stupid spoiler that ruined the looks of the car, that would be better. I like the blue metallic color but would like an all black interior if they make them.

But there's a couple of problems.

1) it isn't available until next Spring
    2) you know dealers will have no base models
    3) you know the dealers will ask $10-$20K more than MRSP for a good 3-6 months
    4) as soon as these things hit the streets they will be modded to look like cartoons. Giant wings, ground effects, graphics, slammed to the ground with crazy camber angles, 26 inch wheels. Embarrassing to be part of that group....

No one has driven one yet but it uses the same chassis as the 370Z, which is supposed to be pretty good -- if not a bit ancient. Same Wheelbase, same width, same suspension.

I think this car is mainly for the US market, as the original Z was. And I'm pretty sure the American dealers will screw it up.

Too bad they wimped out and called it just "Z" instead of 400Z. Would have been sexier.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #30 BMW.SauberF1Team, Oct 3, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    I don't recall the 350Z going for much over MSRP if anything and it was popular when new, but mostly everyone ordered one in advance at MSRP that got them Sept 2002 back then. The spoiler I'm not a fan of either and maybe it's just stuck on with tape like the 350Z and not screwed in. Ordering a 350Z back then when popular took about 2.5 months turnaround if you wanted very particular trim and options. I already contacted my local dealer and want a launch spec, but with only 240 being made and 1k+ dealer in US they probably won't get one. I prefer the blue color for this generation. If they can't secure a launch spec for me I'll order a blue one asap.

I'm not sure really how much the "base" model is really a base. When I ordered my base model Z back in 2003 new it was truly base. No traction control, no vehicle dynamic control (individual braking by the computer), no LSD, no cruise control, no vanity mirrors, no homelink garage opener in mirror, manual cloth seats only, etc, nothing...Great for engine swaps and drifting mods as no computer aids to get in the way of anything. The new one "base" model I'm sure will have much more standard like all driver aids and other safety things like side airbags that were optional back then.

The "Z" name imo in isolation I like much more than a number associated with it. Like Nissan GT-R with only chassis code to distinguish and in Japan it's been Fairlady Z all along. Kinda like the 911 name and Corvette names for others.

edit: apparently there is no base trim level like before (5 trim levels). Only two...sport and performance and both are very similar except things like the clutch-type LSD the performance comes with along with launch control and rev match for downshifts (can turn it off on button on center console) and things like heated mirrors.

TheMayor likes this.
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    ^It might be easier for me to get one in LV instead of LA. I might ask around. You are right that the spoiler might just be taped on. I had rev-match on my Corvette C7 and it made the car feel like a manual auto. Meh.

If they still made Mini Coopers with manuals I would get one of those. But this looks like it could fit the bill for must puttering around town.

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Base car does not have a lsd. If you want a Lsd youre stuck with leather and schmutz.
    370z I tried truly felt like a tin can even if it handles nicely.

Compared to what else is on the market the Z looks nice as opposed tot he ridiculous overwrought supra etc.
    Front engine 400hp stick. Thats close to what an aston vanatge at 120k had in 2005 except the z will be reliable.
    Like the 240z its going to hit the market as a unique proposition for a great price. Z or mustang Gt for more $. I think it will sell.
    We also know that turbo cars are easily remapped for another 50 or 100hp. Maybe it wont make agret track car, but as a road sportscar looks to have the classic formula down to a T in modern powerful reliable package. Unless youre going for a serious performance upgrade like a C8 z06 why spend more.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Mustang mach 1 looks to be 10k more.

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I am on the list for a Z06 (or I might get the MC20 convertible but that's a long shot) so the Z would be my go to the store car. Too bad Mini doesn't make any more manuals or I would be getting one of them. But this might do it. Depends on how difficult to get.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #35 boxerman, Oct 4, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2021

I think this whole car shortage thing will blow over in a year or so. Supply difficulties will ease, interest rates will go up and wall st stockcs wont be climbing so fast and inflation, there will be less excess $$ sloshing about, balance will be found.

Nissan is going to make as many zs as they can, as will ford with mustangs etc. Vettes may take 3 years to ease, but 30k vettes per year is a lot of sportsacrs and there are going to be plenty of 3k mile used ones coming up a few years from now to soak up excess demand. All markets find balance.

The MC 20 is great, just expensive and you know its not going to be hassle free, for less $ you an have a z06 and a z. Hard to go wrong either way.

BTW priced out a mach 1, theyre touching 60K, that seems expensive to me for what it is.

As a run tot he store car, compared to a mni, such different animals. The z has that long hood and probably a far wider turnign circle than the small FWD car feelling of the mini. Might also be lower to get in and out of. Depends I suppose on where you live driving conditions road size etc. Z should be ablast. Lets not forget that this car will have similar same performance to a stock c7 vette, performance is beign democratized fast. My 280Hp Gulia feels like more than enough for the road. f the ride and NVH is anything like the 370Z its going to dissapoint though. Personaly I think well be surprised at how good it is.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    #36 BMW.SauberF1Team, Oct 4, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Here are the two trim levels with nice side by side standard and optional equipment.

edit: for @TheMayor looks like the spoiler is standard on the performance trim and not even optional on the sport trim. Probably double sided tape is my guess just like last time and not screws if you go with the performance version.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

TheMayor and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #37 TheMayor, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Ah... so the rear spoiler is only on the performance as standard....

I'm guessing you can get a basic black interior on the standard also.

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I should update my prior comment on the older Zs and spoilers. 370Z used screws on theirs so if they continue with 370Z parts bin on that I bet that spoiler uses clips/screws and the same mounting hardware.

I would prefer cloth seats over leather for Nissan. Cloth seats for me in FL and AZ stay cooler and last much longer than Nissan leather. The 350Z leather did not stand up well and are expensive to get a shop to recover for the crazy shape seats like the 350z roadster came with mesh and leather mixed. If I can't get a Proto spec (based on Performance) I think I'll option out a bare bones Sport model with cloth seats. I don't like lip spoilers either. Lots of better LSD options already for the car if it really is a 370Z in the rear end.

boxerman and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yep. I would like a simple black cloth interior, and no spoilers. The only thing I would like is Homelink but I can do without it. I don't care about active rev match or bigger brakes. I'm going to drop by a Vegas Nissan dealer later this month. See what they say.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Also standard comes with Apple Car play so you don't need nav.

How much does Ferrari charge for Apple Car play? $4000? Is Ferrari Apple car play make the car go faster? :)

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  16. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Allocations come out next month and orders first of the year?

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It is rwd right?

18. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Yes. I talked to a large Nissan dealer in KC and they don't have much interest in the car yet. I'm 5th in line.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I just texted my local dealer I've been speaking with since August and they just told me the "full information" will be available by December. Still shooting for a Proto spec, but I don't expect they'll be getting one. Hopefully no issues in ordering a blue Sport/base model otherwise.

20. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I'm not a big Z or even Nissan guy but I really found the specs impressive. Only complaint is they left the ancient 370Z chassis and didn't shave any weight off. This car with 3k-3,250 lbs would have been amazing. I'm not sure why such a small car has to weigh 3,500+ lbs but I guess it does. I'm waiting for the reviews to come out and see how it handles but I'm expecting good things. Hopefully they also improved their interiors because the GT-R and 370Z are really cheap feeling to me.

21. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Talked to our dealer today and he stated that late November - early December is when they expect to learn which cars they will receive in early 2022. The regional Nissan contact told them that ordering by customers may not be allowed and that dealers will be told what options their available cars will have and they will either agree to receive the car or pass it to the next dealer in line. This all due to the supply chain issue. He expects to accept every car he is offered.

22. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Did the subject of price come up? This market is nuts. I was thinking of trading my WRX in and getting a leftover 21 and my dealer has them all priced 4K over sticker. The last two I bought were about 2k under sticker. Wondering what markup something new like the Z is going to bring.

23. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    The dealer said sticker (whatever that is) but I have nothing in writing. I get the chance to put a deposit down next month once it becomes more clear what and how many will be coming. This dealer is a very good friend of a friend so I feel pretty confident I can get a reasonable deal.

24. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I got to see it "in the metal" this weekend at the Miami Auto Show. Couldn't touch it or sit in it. It is so much better looking in person than the the pics. The people at the show had zero info on the car, when it would be available etc.

25. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I emailed about 20 local dealers asking specifically about the new Z and half gave me the ******** generic responses (when can you come in, etc.) and one even replied "We have the vehicle in stock. When can you come test drive it?" The other half told me due to the chip shortage they're delayed until spring of next year but they'll get back to me when they have more info.