new zr1 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

new zr1

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by 95spiderman, Jan 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    seems pretty wild.
    too bad viper acr is out of production. they would have intense battles together.
    whats the $?

2. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Would love to know pricing as well.

Going rear-mid engine and OHC seems pointless to me. They are already destroying their competitors with front-mid engine and OHV so not sure what is to gain other than acceptance from the higher end market who thinks rear mid and OHC is "better technology".

If that is the goal, then it makes sense.

I hope this new ZR1 means that they will always continue to offer a front-mid engine OHV car also so us nerds get the fastest and most advanced car possible.

LSJ

3. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Vette forum speculating anywhere from 110k base up to 175k top of line. I see it at maybe 150k with track option/wing. Wont be cheap to track though with brakes and tires. Just hope the overheat issue is solved

4. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Well, I guess I was pretty spot on....this car will be around 115 all in. VERY cheap for what your getting.
    The mid engines will be around 150 and 1,000 hp. Plus the bling they go up from there.
    Ummm that leaves others cars that are 5 times the price already WAY out dated,
    The 720 McLaren is the standard for all, but at these prices, who they hell wants an old junk box anymore.
    Guess that's why the auction houses are dying.
    Had my 66 for ever, you get tired of no brakes, fumes and overheating in traffic with no A/C.
    These truly are the greatest days for the sports car for gasoline!
    Enjoy it , it wont be for long!
    GTJOEY1314

jm2 likes this.
  5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Meh... Sure, the car is powerful, but it does not look very good. It looks like some aftermarket company made a body kit for SEMA.

The best looking C7 Vettes are the Grand Sports, followed by the plain ol' Z51s. I really want to love the C7 Z06 and ZR1, but their supercharged engines and body kit looks leave me with a long face.

6. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
  7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Around $120k is amazing! Significantly less $ than last zr1. Maybe this means c8 mid engine comes in under $100k.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Two factors with old junk boxes. True there are some great powerful new cars to buy instead, also the speculative money has moved elsewhere, and too many non car people got burned.

9. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Looks pretty badass! Can't wait to start seeing them on the streets. If I'm not mistaken, I think this is the most powerful production car ever to offer a manual transmission?

95spiderman likes this.
  10. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    thats cool if true and will probably hold that record forever as manuals disappear

11. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    It indeed comes standard with a manual. The A8 is an option that tacks on something like $2.9k

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The ONLY way you will get one with a manual is special order it. Dealers do not order cars with manuals anymore.

13. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
  14. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Just reading on rennlist.com that camaro (and vette to lesser extent) have suspension bolts come loose when you adjust them for negative camber. Need to check and re tighten after every session. Scary.

15. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Interesting. I have never encountered this.

16. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    seems to depend on whether or not you change settings from factory. happens to sway bars and control arm bolts

17. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
  18. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
  19. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Mayor's point IS correct. While the M7 is the standard transmission, very few dealers ORDER cars with manuals. Current Corvette take rate is 77% A8, 23% M7.
    If you want a manual, you will have to order it that way, more than likely.

20. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    will dealers even order these on spec to keep at dealership? maybe one to show off. i would guess majority only when customer puts down deposit 1st.

21. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^
    Beyond the big Corvette dealers (Kerbeck/MacMulkin/etc), I would imagine the small guys that are getting any, have them all sold and will order the car as the buyer specs it.
    A friend of mine who runs a small Chevrolet dealership right outside of Charlotte is getting ONE (he just found out). It is spoken for and now they just have to wait for the allocation to be available. I guess this is like Ferrari in that my friend does have ONE allocated car, but he does NOT know WHEN he can actually order the car.

22. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Sorry but your wrong too! If I wanted to get a M7 in a Corvette I can find one on many lots. I agree more autos are ordered by dealers but they have manuals too. Special order does not apply to getting a car in its STANDARD CONFIGURATION. That is like saying if they don't have a black car on the lot but that's what I want then it is a SPECIAL ORDER. That is bunk. Special order is for something like the old L88. Its not well known and actually kind of hidden from the masses.

23. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    The Mayor's mistake was calling an order a "Special" order, it's just an "order".
    He is also correct that in a normal year, you would have trouble finding a manual Corvette in stock at a "normal" Chevrolet dealer (not one of the mega Corvette dealers). That said, there are a LOT of manuals in dealer inventory right now, I would assume this is because of the plant shutdown (no Corvettes were built for 13 weeks, starting 7/28/17) and dealers ordered extra cars in early summer ahead of the shut down and from the looks of it, over ordered manuals. Here in Charlotte, City Chevrolet has 42 new Corvettes in stock, over half are manuals. This is NOT normal. Clearly, automatics got sucked up first.