Newbie 88 Mondial owner | FerrariChat

Newbie 88 Mondial owner

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 88Mondialguy, Oct 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 88Mondialguy

88Mondialguy Rookie

Oct 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chris Toperczer
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Hi all,

I just purchased an 88 Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet this week and I am quite thrilled with it so far. It runs great for 29 years and of course there are a few little “issues” that I will have to tend to at some point.

The vent fans work but feels like they only blow warm to hot air out of them haha - not a huge issue with the top down but outside temp air blowing would be more pleasant. I am assuming my A/C is not working at all.

Second thing which is relatively small is the hand brake sometimes takes several up and releases motions to actually turn off the “brake” light on the dash.

The third is turning the car over. It always starts after leaving it for a day or so, and maybe starts the second time in the same day. The dealer said there could be a conflict with the internal alarm system and you must lock the car and wait a few minutes and walk away. There is a brand new battery in it.

Apart from these small things, I really love it and it’s a head turner for sure - as with any Ferrari. Here are some pics:

paulchua likes this.
  2. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    When I got mine it was not perfect. It still is not perfect. If I need to go on a dirt lane I go. If it might rain I don't care. I bought it to wear it out. I hope you do the same. Beautiful car!

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Looks like a really nice example.

There is nothing proprietary with the ac, it uses a pretty common Sanden compressor. The ac compressor is accessed through the right rear wheel well. Needs a check for leaks, flush thoroughly, get a new dryer and charge with 134a. New orings compatible with the 134 charge are required. Should be good to go without too much trouble, nothing really Ferrari unique to contend with in getting it sorted.

If you look at the back of the hand brake there is a button switch. You remove the cover with the two screws to get visual access. Make sure the nut attaching it is tight, spray some electrical cleaner in the switch button make sure the wire cinnected to it is not corroded, and it may work again. If not you can get the replacement switch.

Not sure about the starting issue, need more info to comment. The conflict with the alarm is not typical. Does the car not always turn over, or does it turnover but not start?

paulchua likes this.
  4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The starter motor tend to suffer from a lack of voltage, such that at times it does not engage. There is fixing kit you can fit which consists of an extra relay and an additional 12 volt supply. Someone on here will know where to find one.
    Generally the ac runs on freon 12, but if you go to 134 then you would need to change some of the hoses other wise you will lose the gas. Appartently it leaks through the hose walls.
    Locate the ac compressor eletro clutch and switch the ac on and off- see if the clutch engages, if not then it may need gas.
    How old are the cam belts ?

paulchua and 88Mondialguy like this.
  5. 88Mondialguy

88Mondialguy Rookie

Oct 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chris Toperczer
    Thank you for the feedback everyone. I am definitely not the most knowledgeable or handy guy out there so some of this insight is very helpful.

Natkingcolebasket69 and paulchua like this.
  6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Connect up a volt meter to the starter motor plus terminal, turn the key and see if you get 12 volts. If not then consider fitting the extra relay.

paulchua likes this.
  7. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Good looking example! Care to share mileage and what you paid?

paulchua likes this.
  8. 88Mondialguy

88Mondialguy Rookie

Oct 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chris Toperczer
    Mileage is 77,000 miles or 123,000 Km’s
    Keep in mind I purchased at a Toronto high end used car dealer that sells Ferrari, Lamborghini etc (so the price is probably inflated) $49,000 CDN - I traded in my 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera so didn’t hurt too much ;)
    New front chassis, new clutch, all hoses replaced recently....

paulchua likes this.
  9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Its the cam belts you need to ask about, keep on top of them

10. 88Mondialguy

88Mondialguy Rookie

Oct 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chris Toperczer
    I will ask about the cam belts - I’ve been reading up on good Ferrari mechanics in the forums and there is a guy close to me in Oakville - Tom Bakowsky at Cross Ave —it’s a little late in the year, but I will swing by in the spring to have him look it over

paulchua likes this.
  11. Cadillacbart

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John

So about $38K US Dollars. Seems about right to me, given the recent work. Congrats!

paulchua likes this.
  12. 88Mondialguy

88Mondialguy Rookie

Oct 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chris Toperczer
    Thanks very much. The first time I ever sat in a Ferrari is this one! It really gets a lot of attention when it’s screaming around the neighbourhood. My boys love it and think I’m a hero haha. Looking forward to driving it sparingly over the next several years.

paulchua likes this.
  13. Cadillacbart

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    It’s a copy of mine, except we have different wheels. FWIW, my '88 has been very reliable. I've even had weeks where the weather was nice and it did daily driver duty- no issues.

Il Steeg, paulchua and 88Mondialguy like this.
  14. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If you need the relay kit, here are a couple of options:

https://www.busdepot.com/wr1

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-starter-relay-wr1?ads_cmpid=352578319&ads_adid=22976872639&ads_matchtype=&ads_network=g&ads_creative=85227587119&utm_term=&ads_targetid=pla-22190487637&utm_campaign=&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&ttv=2&gclid=Cj0KCQjwprbPBRCHARIsAF_7gDbRUaYAEzMsH8isq-Gn5w1mf5CHioLsERzUZgG7DMh0ThNpppnNCu4aAhnSEALw_wcB

I had mine run into my trunk on mounted on the board that holds the electrical equipment, so if fuse blew, I didn't need to go digging around the rear wheel where the original setup was going to be. Mine is a t, not a 3.2, but I don't think that makes a difference.

Regards,
    Jerry

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Congrats on the new purchase Chris. I'm sure you will love it. I went for a drive in Toronto with my Mondial a few years back and it was great. Enjoy!

16. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I am in Toronto, Tom Bakowsky did my purchase inspection almost 15 years ago, I understand he remains a very highly regarded Ferrari expert. Very good to have had the hoses done, that can be a bit of fussy labour but hugely important on a car of this age. The relatively high mileage is a good sign in that the car was maintained and reliable. My identical car has not had your start issue, so maybe the relay idea would solve. But my guess is you have a weak connection at the big white vertical plastic connector on the fuse board. The fuse box is in the front trunk on the left, remove the cover, remove the connector and see if there is any browning or discolouring of the connector from heat. Cleaning the connection will often solve for what you described. If the heat damaged the fuse box, that too would not be unheard of, there are plenty of fuse box threads to peruse on this, including one which shows the visual of the connector I am referring to. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/charred-w-connector-in-fuse-box-fix.500217/

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Just to clarify the starter relay kit, it supplies a 12 volt supply to the starter solenoid, which then makes to power the starter motor. As the previous post says you can lose voltage in the system due to ageing problems.

paulchua likes this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Congratulations, beautiful car!

88Mondialguy likes this.
  19. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi ,

Congrats on your purchase . Regarding the Handbrake , I had the same problem . My solution is when I release the handbrake , I push the button continously down until the handbrake indicator light turns off, then I release the button .I had this problem since 2006 and this was my solution , & it works everytime .

Hope this helps ,

Luigi

88Mondialguy likes this.
  20. 88Mondialguy

88Mondialguy Rookie

Oct 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chris Toperczer
    I’ll try that Luigi - thanks!

I

paulchua likes this.
  21. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Most important thing is not to let the car sit unused for long periods of time. Letting the car sit will generate all sorts of problems. Try to run the car at least once a week. If you don't drive it, at least start the motor and bring it up to temp.

Also, I would stay away from dealer service, and parts. A lot of the parts on the car are made by Bosch. You can find parts online for substantially less than what the dealer will charge you for the same part.

Also, the paint looks like it's getting scratches. The car should be washed by hand, very gently. And apply a coat of Brazilian Carnauba wax (without cleaner), every time you wash.

88Mondialguy likes this.
  22. 88Mondialguy

88Mondialguy Rookie

Oct 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chris Toperczer
    Thanks for the tip - ya swirl marks are gonna happen over a 30 year period, but I will follow your tip! I was thinking of starting the car once or twice per month over the winter, but I will try to once per week now.

23. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    My Mondial used to be prone to cutting out for no reason coming up to halt signs, loss of brake servo etc. It would start up fine and eventually found out it was the injectors playing up- a dose of redex or your local similar injector cleaner in the petrol tank once a year does wonders. It was still running original injectors in 2014 when i parted with it. So 27 years.

88Mondialguy likes this.
  24. 88Mondialguy

88Mondialguy Rookie

Oct 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chris Toperczer
    what I thought were sewn in lamb wool re-covers turned out to be high quality seat covers - finally was able to muscle them off to find my leather buckets in pristine shape - one of the previous owners added the carbon fibre accents, I like them enough Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Cadillacbart

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Love the black carpets. Interesting that your door pulls are black too ( or are they entirely carbon covered?
    Any idea what the “pod” is above the radio? Not seen that before.

88Mondialguy likes this.