Newbie....."Barn Find" 308 | FerrariChat

Newbie....."Barn Find" 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by AdamBoca, Mar 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AdamBoca

AdamBoca Karting

Mar 14, 2018
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Adam Boca
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Every once in a while, you get an opportunity that you have to jump at. This opportunity for me happened on Monday when I received an out of the blue phone call from someone a couple miles from me. I was a referral to potentially provide guidance on a “Barn Find.” When I spoke with the person handling the removal of property from a client’s rental home she didn’t tell me much, except that she had a unique vehicle that had to be gone in 4 days. I didn’t expect to end up owning this vehicle, but fate put it in my lap. I sell Collector Vehicle Insurance (this is not a plug, or to pitch what I do on you), but to help set the tone.

I hurried out of the office and made my way downtown near Western Kentucky University. The house was a rental house for fraternity brothers. I am sure the walls of that house can tell many stories! Underneath the house was a sealed-up garage, and had been padlocked many times over to prevent tenants from getting into the garage. The house was partially dilapidated, with the typical college after life. The house was being cleaned up for sale, and all contents had to come out, including the car.

When I arrived, the garage was open. A large A/C unit was blocking the rear of the car, but the distinctive Ferrari rear end and tail lights were glaring at me. My palms got sweaty, my heart was beating and I knew that this was a cool find! The iconic Ferrari 308 GTSi from 1984.

This isn’t one of those perfect Barn Finds that needs nothing, and at first glance it didn’t look too terrible. The rear end was in pretty good shape, the passenger side looked clean. Looking inside I was amazed that the seats, dash, instrument panel, etc was all there and it was nice once you get past the years of dirt, dust and grime.

As I looked at the front my heart sank! The front bumper, lower valance, wheel vent on the front and passenger headlight was missing. Down the driver’s side showed this car was involved in a minor fender bender and just left as it was. This car once was a premier sports car and when everyone sees it they have flashbacks to Magnum PI. This is the car that many of us had posters of on our walls.

I took many pictures and let the lady know I would ask around to see if anyone wanted to buy it. I thought and thought about this car throughout the day, and knew it had to be mine. After talking with several friends who know these cars, my wife, and others I made an offer. Right at 24 hours after seeing the car I can say that I am a Ferrari owner! That is strange to say to be honest.

The car is a 2-owner car with 29,000 miles. It was purchased by the second owner in 1985 and it led a less than perfect life. Late night rides and being put away wet were part of this cars story. After just 12 years of driving, 1997, the owners decided to park it. Many college parties above it and the dust/debris took its toll. Yesterday, 21 years later, the car was given a much-needed bath. This car will take some time to repair. I am not quite sure that that will be under my care, or the next persons. Regardless, she was happy to see the sun, and I am sure she will be excited when she is fired up for the first time in a long time!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob, Merlin Auto Group, xotik and 8 others like this.
  2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Wow! Cool story. Quite the find.

It is interesting what is absent as well as present; shift knob, horn button, ignition coils, air filter box, fuse box cover, etc. Yeah, too bad about the front.

Have an expert assess objectively and decide.

3. AdamBoca

AdamBoca Karting

Mar 14, 2018
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Adam Boca
    Agree! I have ordered the horn button, shift knob, and the intake hose. The intake was in the trunk along with the fuse cover.

Talk to me about the ignition coils. Which ones are recommended?

Thank you!

Adam

sandandsalt likes this.
  4. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    AHH the ignition coils...your best bet is superformane in the UK or AW Italian. Magnetti Marelli 115013

sandandsalt likes this.
  5. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Congratulations! And welcome to the mad house :p

308 milano likes this.
  6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Your jpgs were tiny, so I just listed a few things that I could easily spot.

Have an expert (technician) look over the car with you while you jot notes about stuff you need to buy. I am sure there will be more.

Ha!

+1

Welcome!

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What are the last 5 numbers of the VIN? The first number should be a 4 or a 5

9. AdamBoca

AdamBoca Karting

Mar 14, 2018
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Adam Boca
    0051225 is the last 7 of the VIN

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Spring 1984 build date

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Look down in there and see of it has one belt for the alt and wp or if there are two belts.

Passenger side

12. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The parts diagrams are excellent (and repair manuals are nonexistent) for these cars. To figure out what is missing in the front, use the diagrams. Most major vendors for parts (such as Ricambi America or FerrParts) post them and they are also available as a download from hobby sites.

13. AdamBoca

AdamBoca Karting

Mar 14, 2018
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Adam Boca
    I have 2 belts..

14. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Nice find and good for you for making an offer. When its all done you will have a great story to tell about how you got your Ferrari. The toughest thing you are going to face is "The Wait". Being in storage and in in this condition, it is going to take some time to evaluate, get parts and then begin the restoration and repair. My 308 sat on my lift for two and on half years before I finished it. I would go into the garage and look at my "garage art" and say to myself, "Someday, its going to be drivable. That was four years ago.

The best advice I can give you is to think of the saying, "Its not the destination, but the journey". Every system that gets repaired will be a chapter of the journey and in the end a shiny, 84 GTSi that will be purring at idle and ready to go out into the world... and you will have arrived at your destination.

Good luck.

15. AdamBoca

AdamBoca Karting

Mar 14, 2018
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Adam Boca
  16. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Awesome find Adam, good for you man. It’s already looking better.

17. crazyswede1027

crazyswede1027 Karting

Mar 21, 2010
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Chris S.
    Thats amazing find. Looks like going to be a family project, awesome.

Only one part of story i find truly unbelievable, you waited 24 hours and asked the WIFE for her input. Better man than I. I would of bought it on the spot. Congratulations it will be a great project.

Back'n'Black and absostone like this.
  18. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Cool story and welcome to the madness Adam! Oh and thanks for the great service and insurance coverage on my 1989 328. You have taken care of all my cars over the years and I have nothing but great things to say about you guys.

absostone likes this.
  19. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yes very cool! Those seats are cleaning up very nice! I have a couple of the shifter knobs in my shop. Came across them last week. (One is Black/stock the other is chrome ) I am away from home for the next two weeks but if you PM me your address I will send one to you free of charge if you like. Nice find! Well done!

Chris_gon and absostone like this.
  20. AdamBoca

AdamBoca Karting

Mar 14, 2018
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Adam Boca
    Kim, thank you! I very much appreciate the generous offer! I ordered one yesterday and it has shipped. Thank you, again!

308 milano likes this.
  21. AdamBoca

AdamBoca Karting

Mar 14, 2018
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Adam Boca
    Dave, that’s awesome! Thank you for allowing us to serve you. We love what we do, and honored to cover your vehicles! Thanks for the warm welcome!

22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Great story, looking forward to following the restoration,hope you do decide to keep her,the car that is.:)

23. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Adam, first of all congrat on rare barn find and welcome to the community.
    Second, after you finish cleaning up everything interior, exterior, and engine bay,
    By all means, please DO NOT START the car until you have done the major
    specially the timing belts and tensionner bearings. I can just imagine how those
    T-belt and bearing looks like.

AdamBoca and 308 milano like this.
  24. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow cool find and it appears to be cleaning up pretty well. Those first pics almost made it look like it was a light colored interior with serious mold problems but totally not the case. If you need help with anything to do with the car this is the right place to post about it. TONS of very specific knowledge here about these cars!! Congrats and keep updating posts as you bring it back to life!! These stories are so fun to see.