Newbie....."Barn Find" 308 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Newbie....."Barn Find" 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by AdamBoca, Mar 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    So cool to see another 'orphan' get rescued - she'll reward you with millions of smiles, guaranteed!

2. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Adam, are you going to have a shop get it running for you? If DIY be sure to drain whatever liquid is in that fuel tank and flush it, along with all lines.. and of course engine/trans should be serviced (as has been mentioned several times).. Good luck, need more pictures of her revival!

3. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    There are nice QVs for around $65-70 so work backwards from there depending on what needs to be done. If the bodywork and paint are passable and the engine/gearbox don't have to come out, you should be in the black if you got it for under $50k. If you need body/paint and engine/gearbox work and paid more than $30k it could get you into the red unless you do lots yourself.

mcimino and Shamile like this.
  4. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Thanks for the clarification.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Adam, you finally get sick of all them Corvettes?

6. AdamBoca

AdamBoca Karting

Mar 14, 2018
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Adam Boca
    Never! Lol!

7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Whoa, so this is THAT Adam Boca? Nice....

8. AdamBoca

AdamBoca Karting

Mar 14, 2018
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Adam Boca
    Yes sir, it is I! What do you have?

9. AdamBoca

AdamBoca Karting

Mar 14, 2018
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Adam Boca
  10. AdamBoca

AdamBoca Karting

Mar 14, 2018
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Adam Boca
    Jeka and mcimino like this.
  11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Have previously owned 4 Corvettes:

Kind of became dis-enchanted with the ownership experience towards the mid-2000s, as ownership became less special....owning a Corvette in the mid-80s felt like being a king.

12. AdamBoca

AdamBoca Karting

Mar 14, 2018
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Adam Boca
    Shark01, very cool! I work for the National Corvette Museum, and it is deep in my blood. I’m a car guy, however..

steved033 likes this.
  13. AdamBoca

AdamBoca Karting

Mar 14, 2018
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Adam Boca
    Project Ferrari cleanup was alive and well this weekend.

Interior complete! Thanks to Adams Polishes for the killer product to bring it back to life!

Spent some time polishing out the outside of the car. The haze and oxidation was really bad, and Paint Correction polish and Swirl and Haze Remover was key. Still have the front end to get and put together and then detail out the wheels and engine.

Attached Files:

Julia, Hannibal308, gcumbey and 2 others like this.
  14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    It will be interesting hear what you think once you get it up and running.

I never thought I would be a Ferrari guy (frankly, I never even dreamed that someday I would own one). BMW E30s were "deep in my blood", but I have been surprised at my reaction to Ferrari.

I still have an antique BMW but my Ferrari is a different jewel. There is just something about these little red cars ...

AdamBoca likes this.
  15. OVERULD

OVERULD Rookie

Aug 10, 2009
    Adam,
    Imagine my surprise when I made my regular check of the Fchat 3X8 Forum to catch up on the latest posts and was immediately attracted to the Barn Find thread, only to realize after a few posts that there was something familiar about this newbie. I hadn't paid any attention to the original poster's username, but caught the reference to selling collector car insurance and the reference to Kentucky in the initial thread, but it wasn't until I finally noticed the username that it all came into focus. Say...I know this guy and buy my Corvette insurance from him! What a small world! Congrats on the find. I've had an affinity for theFerrari 308 since the beginning of the Magnum P.I. series. I had the posters, models and even stopped by FAF Motorcars in Tucker, GA and convinced them that I was worthy of a test drive! Loved the sound of those Webers behind my head and the gated shifter.

I came very close to buying one from a member on the forum back in 2010, but got cold feet over the maintenance expense. Wish I had gone through with the purchase. I'm still planning to buy one some day. I am thoroughly enjoying my 2015 Z51 Convertible that I took delivery of at the NCM three years ago on March 13, 2015 and tinkering with my 74 Firebird Formula 455 Ram Air. I'll be at the NCM Bash again this year and if time and schedules permit, I'd love to see your car! I get in on Wednesday evening, and will be there through Saturday. I'm hosting the Corvette Forum Dinner at The Montana Grille on Friday night and also attending the Corvette Racing Banquet on Thursday night. Hope to see you around.

Policy #053789586

AdamBoca likes this.
  16. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Subscribed so I can keep track of the progress!

Good luck from a Corvette guy and NCM member!

AdamBoca likes this.
  17. AdamBoca

AdamBoca Karting

Mar 14, 2018
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Adam Boca
    Hey hey friend! That's great! Its been interesting the cross-over here with people that I know. Hope you are great! I look forward to seeing you in a month!

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes I know, hence my initial reaction. We actually spoke once yearsago about getting me a PPI for a Lamborghini Diablo Roadster that was on sale at a place in Bowling Green

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Oh, you like Corvettes too....

Believe me, the red cult is just as strong as for Ferraris.

20. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Ha! ... not 'zakly what I meant...

Although I have never owned one, I have no issue with Corvettes. Nice cars!

21. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I have 2 F355s.

I sold my 308 a few years ago.

Also have my 90 ZR1 and my 68 big block vettes too.

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Why didn't you take one home then?

23. OVERULD

OVERULD Rookie

Aug 10, 2009
    A question I've asked my self many times! It was in 1982 and I was transitioning back to civilian life, working in the family business after a stint in the Air Force, and my financial resources at the time were limited. I had my eye on a young lady who would become my wife and the mother of my children and we were making plans for a wedding in March of 83, so any disposable income that might have been put towards a Ferrari, went into the diamond she still wears today! I think I made the right choice!

24. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    7 years on jack stands for mine.

This year .... I hope.

25. AdamBoca

AdamBoca Karting

Mar 14, 2018
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Adam Boca
    Long day yesterday! Left Bowling Green, KY at 4am and drove to columbus to buy the front end parts needed from daves80gts. Great great guy! Looking forward to showing you all pics...

308 milano likes this.