News

Newbie here - shopping advice?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by Dave Bertrand, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Hi! After a few years of Porsche ownership I've decided I need a new toy. After a lot of research and staring at pictures of different models, I've narrowed it down to a 308 or 328, with a lean toward the 308 because I have a slight preference for the styling. The car will be a weekend adrenaline pump only. Maybe 1,500 miles/yr.

Aside from private parties, where are the best places to shop for this type of car locally? I know of Ferrari of Denver and RM Eurosport - any other place I should know about?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Paragon Motorcars is a good place to go, Ive heard a lot about their good service.

Heres the link, hope you find something you like: http://www.paragonmotorcarsdenver.com/

Also, what color 308 are you looking for? What miles, options etc.? I would be pleased to help you find one that maybe isnt in Denver.

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

May 28, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    It's hard to beat FoD for a 308 or 328. Talk to Derek.

5. -AC

-AC Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 4, 2004
    Colorado
    Dont limit yourself to just a local dealership. If you look at the U.S. as a whole you will have a greater chance of finding the right car.

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'll echo Ac. You need to look everywhere and be willling to travel. I bought 2 328's, one in Atlanta, one in the bay area. First, I would learn all I can about these cars. The Fchat archives have tons of info. Second, after having had 3 308's and 2 328's (I still have an 89 GTB), I can say with a little authority that the 328 is a substantially better designed and built car that will be cheaper in the long run to own, but this should not be construed as poo poon 308's which I also have a soft spot for. There is much to consider before plunking down your hard earned bucks. The other thing I want to point out is that neither car has much performance compared to newer cars, but they are fun to drive anyway. It's all a matter of what your expectations are.

Dave

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Thanks for the good advice. I have no problem travelling to find just the right car (and I will look everywhere). I just wanted to know where to look in the Denver area.

I know the 328 is a better car. I may end up going that direction. I'm in no hurry to make up my mind. I just want an immaculate car that's been perfectly maintained and documented. Options and color don't matter that much - except the interior must be some sort of tan, beige, or cream.

I too have heard good things about Paragon, but I thought they were just a service facility. Good to know they have an inventory of cars too.

9. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    After driving both cars I chose the 328 when I bought....remember it's big $$$$ to repair much more then Porsche.

10. 308SYSTEMS

308SYSTEMS Karting

Dec 16, 2003
    Hi Dave, I went through the same purchase thought process you are going through - 308 or 328. I opted for the 308(I bought an '85 to let the bugs get worked out) because I liked the classic sports car interior(levers and not dials), and more aggressive beautiful lines of the 308. With only 30 more HP, the increased 328 power didn't make a big deal. I now own a Volvo SUV, Honda minivan and 69 Pontiac firebird with more power than either of these Ferraris :) In reality, the 308/328s are NOT fast cars, they are EXCITING TO DRIVE cars, and I have loved my 308. Maintenance has been no big deal.

In 1995 I bought my '85 308 by purchasing a mailing list of all 1985 Ferrari owners, then sending them a postcard telling them what I was looking for and asking if they would sell. I recieved approximately 30 responses from the 550 cards I sent, and purchased a really nice car with 11k miles on it.

I have since put about 17k miles on the car, pathetic I know, but with a wife and son it is hard to get the 308 out....

Mark
    85 308QV

11. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

May 28, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    That is a brilliant idea. It would be especially good if you wanted something like a GTB of which there are very few. How did you get the names and addresses?

12. To remove this ad click here.