Newbie Motorcycle riders FAQ's and Answers Thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Newbie Motorcycle riders FAQ's and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by rsvmille676, May 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Probably because on a bike the rear wheel gets very light and is hardly contacting the ground under heavy braking.

I only meant in an emergency.

2. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Choptop how well of a race bike does a GSXR 600 make? I have come across one taking in from as repayment for a debt but it has no title. So I was thinking a race only bike. It has 18k miles and just a simple slip on for a mod. I dont want to throw 3 grand at this thing for a new trans and everything so whats your opinon?

Thanks,
    Nate

3. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    GSXR 600 is an AWESOME race bike. Very flickable, decent power for a 600 (depending on the year.) Tons of aftermarket race parts available. Most tracks or race weekends will have vendors that will have just about everything in stock for a GSXR.

What year is the bike? Realistically all you would need to do is saftey wire it.

4. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Its an 01 for 2.4k because of the title issue. The only problem is its on the entire other side of the country.

5. rsvmille676

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    Realistically you could have it shipped for a little $$$. There are many transportation companies that can ship it. Any local MC dealer should have some shipping crates available that can be used to send it via Freight carrier.

6. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Is a GSXR, CBR, etc 600 to much power for a kid whose riden dirtbikes since the age of 5, has rode a couple thousand miles on a snowmobile, and has had a ton of quads. Theres a GSX600 for sale locally and I would love to have a replica racer but I dont want to kill myself.

7. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Already answered this but my post got deleted in the crash. :(

Your profile says you are only 17, so insurance costs are going to be huge on a sportsbike.

How long have you had your car license for? Are you fully licensed? Half the danger of riding on public roads is having to deal with all the idiots.

The GSX600 Katana is a sports tourer, and much less aggressive with less power than the GSX-R600. It's also fairly heavy; around 205kg.

8. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Actually, if you keep it below 6K rpm it will be pretty civil and easy to ride around town.... but when you open it up to 15K or whatever they red line at, it'll be like god grabbing you by the a-s-s and throwing you down the street.

9. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    I have a wierd physical problem while riding, & I'm not a noob btw. If I take off from a stop full throttle on either my Duc or Superchicken, I get an insane headrush that almost causes a blackout. My vision gets messed up too. I will let up on the gas when this starts to happen, but it may take 5-15 seconds for me to get back to almost normal. The last time this happened, I got kind of naseous & warm too.

Anyways, has anyone else experienced this? Do I just have a low tolerance to G-forces, which affects my equilibrium? I can't imagine what would happen to me if I were to drive a Top Fuel car at speed, I think I would die.

10. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Never heard of this... on a bike. You're not holding your breath with a death grip on the bars are ya?

11. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    No, I think I'm breathing normally, & not doing anything else unusual.

12. rsvmille676

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    Sounds like an inner ear problem. I'd get checked out for a middle ear infection. If you must ride please be careful.

13. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Probably a fluid backup problem.....

I suggest you pay a visit to your wife and/or girlfriend, that should fix the problem!

Happens if you don't bleed the lines often....:D

14. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Hmm, I don't know, this condition has been with me for quite a few years now. If it were an infection, wouldn't it have gone away by now?

Fluid backup, that's funny, yeah it's backing up all the way into my brain.

I was really hoping a few other people would be saying "Oh yeah, that happens to me too" :( .

15. rsvmille676

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    You'd be suprised how long an untreated inner ear problem can go on. Basically, the hairs on the ear drum (I think) end up with fluid on them and when you lean one way or other, they are not out in normal position so the brain thinks you are falling or tipping or something. Either way I would get it checked out.

16. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Is it possible your helmet fits incorrectly?

17. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    No, it happens with different helmets.

Ok, we can move on to another subject now. I was hoping to get a few people telling me that it was a common thing. So far no one has said that. This leads me to believe that I'm just F'ed up in the head.

18. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I think anyone (including me) who rides motorcycles on public roads with other maniacs behind the wheel are all f'ed up in the head.

Sorry Brian, can't help you with your problem...

----too bad we all don't have an ECM board, with a USB input attatched to our skulls, so we can get a quick diagnostic at the Dr. office.....:)

19. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    What are the stats for MC accidents like. I.e. If I ride daytime only. Sunshine only. Only on roads that I already drove on, almost full gear and fairly relaxed driving population, vs driving pretty fast in a pretty fast car in every condition?

20. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    at least in the US...
    nearly half of all motorcycle accidents involve a rider that has been drinking alcohol.

Cut that part out of the equation by NEVER drinking and riding. Not even a beer with lunch... riding a bike is too demanding on your senses and reactions to dull them at all.

Helmet use - well duh. Riders wearing full-face helmets are MUCH more likely to survive an accident.

Also, the accident rate drops further when the rider has had some sort of formal training... a riders safety course, trackday instruction... something.

No stats availible... but I would imagine a well maintained bike would go at least a little way towards keeping you safe. No use trying to fight some non-working system while trying to stay alive.

soooooooo..... it boils down to some common sense......

Alert/Sober
    Trained
    Proper gear
    Well maintained machine

add up to staying alive.

think of it as being a fighter pilot. No one would DREAM of entering a dog fight without any of the items listed above... but yet people do it every day when they get on a bike... I've even heard people try to argue that they dont NEED any one of the items above...

"...I've been riding for years and have never had any formal training, and I dont need it...."

silly really.

21. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Dont know car vs. motorcycle stats. Dont know that anyone has ever done such a comparison, or could really... given your parameters.

22. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    there are some stats out there. i remember crunching them last year sometime. i'll try to dig up the post i made on another board.

doody.

23. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    In 50% of accidents the MC rider had the bike on the ground before the point of impact. This reflects skill level, or lack of.

This was a NIHS study from the late 80's.

24. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    I caught some stats a few months ago. For a 21 yo on a MC after 2:00AM when the bars close, the chance of getting into an accident was 45,000 (not a mis print) times higher than some other stat... IIRC the comprarison was against someone driving a car during the day.

25. rbf41000

rbf41000 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Russell
    A salesman in a shop where I have purchased a few bikes always askes a first time buyer.
    Have you got a $50 head or do you have a $500 head ?
    Its a salesmans gimick but a true one.
    Also remember just because you dont intend to ride at 100 mph you can sill hurt your head at 25 mph

Russell