Newbie seeks 1st 360 | FerrariChat

Newbie seeks 1st 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by drdfog, Jun 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drdfog

drdfog Rookie

Jun 21, 2014
    North Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Chuck Lanham
    I have reached a point in my life where I am now ready to take the car from the childhood poster and park it in my garage. I initially desired the 355 as my first, but the prices of the 360 (my dream car - spider F1) have made it more desirable. My concern is that I do not know what to look for in a used 360? I do not want to make the mistake of buying with my heart. I know it is good to find a vehicle that has just had the engine out service performed, but what else do I want to ask about? I prefer the F1 over the stick, but some local dealers act like it is better to have a stick. (Usually being said by someone that does not have a F1 in inventory) I do not know anybody who owns a Ferrari. My only contact with these cars has been a friend that has owned many and he has passed away. Any insight you folks can share with me would be appreciated.

2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    There's a sticky: FAQ Shopping for an 360.

3. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
  4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If you filled out your profile someone where you live might be able to offer local resources.

Try a local cars and coffee... if you go to the region on here where you live and ask for assistance, I'm sure others will help.

Before I bought mine, I sourced the best local mechanic I could find that is regarded here and solicited his opinion. Work in reverse, what will you need when you own this car? Who will work on it? What will it be like to own it. Get your resources lined up before you make the purchase.

5. fabo

fabo Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2013
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Fabo
    All I can say is take your time...half the fun of owning such a car is looking chasing one

Read as much as you can on Forums such as this great one

6. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The 360 doesn't require an engine out service.

7. NCromwell

NCromwell Karting

Apr 27, 2014
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Nate
    #7 NCromwell, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    I *hope* I am close to finishing my "my first Ferrari purchase"/360 quest.
    The buying thread and all of the threads in this section were a great start. Reading the owners manual was very informative about the car as well. But, ultimately it needs to be a heart decision mixed with the tempors of the head.

What it boiled down to for me was first:research research research. Unlike looking at other cars, the amount of varying options really do play an Impact on the car, it's well being, and the look. What suited my needs and my purpose for ownership?

I ended up prioritizing what options were ones I couldnt live without. Then, which ones I would like. I looked and found cars in that range and that gave me an idea of price. I moved on to looking into insurance, mechanic, ect. I made some phone calls to ones I was kind of interested in and thought and thought. I went and looked at one outside of LA while i was there for work.I thought it was the one. It then sold outright that weekend. Super depressed, I found another one that was close to that it had already been sold. I realized I didn't really want that color and found the one that I really wanted with the options instead of what would be easier to resell/better on the pocketbook.

After the research came the heart. Ultimately, like others told me- get the one you want. Its a big deal for me, and it sounds like its the same to you. So find the car that makes you wake up in the middle of the night and look at the sale pictures online one more time, or read the description again even though you have it memorized. The research and my head let me know what was possible for the heart to want.

When you imagine it in your garage, the parking spot outside your place and it's morning and you see it- what exactly does it look like, in real detail? Grills, rims, interior, exhaust, shift, miles, car cover, top, shields, car mats. What is your "package deal" 360. Find out, and then get that one. Wait until you find it. Be patient. Be picky. And then, when you find it.....When you see it in your garage in your head real as life, when the silly grin keeps coming over your face when your thinking about THAT one, pull the trigger. Make that dream a reality.....after getting a PPI. :mad:)

It is a very very fun journey for me so far, and I have never even sat in a Ferrari, let alone a 360. But I know exactly the one I want to be my first.