Newbie - Steering Wheel Junkie | FerrariChat

Newbie - Steering Wheel Junkie

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by woodrim, Mar 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. Too many choices as to which forum to choose, so I went with the old cars. I don't have a Ferrari, and at this point with current financial trends, doesn't look as if I ever will. Are the members of these forums mostly Ferrari owners, or are dreamers present here too?

Anyway, for now my primary interest is in the wonderful old wood rimmed steering wheels. I do have fairly good knowledge of the wheels and some history, but I'm hoping I might learn more from members of this group. From my research, it appears that Nardi was the builder of the vast majority of Ferrari steering wheels from immediately after WW2 up until the year of his death in 1966. Does anyone know of any other suppliers during those years?

Thanks much.

Woodrim

2. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Welcome! There are owners and dreamers, but basically just Ferrari lovers here. Hope you will share your knowledge, and you should be impressed with the expertise available here.

3. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    Thanks, Ferranki. I will certainly be happy to share all I know about the old steering wheels. I was hoping there might be some old-timers here that could add to my knowledge, but will be happy to talk about the wheels with anyone that doesn't fall asleep.

woodrim

4. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    MOMO supplied wheels

5. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    Ha!!! Someone took the bait ;-) I had heard Momo mentioned several times, but they were not involved until the late sixties; they didn't make any of the early wood rimmed wheels. Momo became a player for the race cars and leather rimmed era. This was after Nardi was dismissed by Ferrari. Walsall Wheels of England made the wood rimmed wheels starting sometime in 1966. Leather rims took over in 1968.

Woodrim

6. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    #6 Jon Hansen, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Welcome to Fchat woodrim.
    I have an old Walsall wheel that is a mystery. I got it in trade from a BMW guy many years ago. He had adapted the old wheel to fit a 530 turbo project and the new owner wanted the OEM wheel. He did a quicky varnish job, which is obvious on the back side. This wheel is 17" diameter and has one tone wood. (no stripe) It does have finger grips on the back.
    Let's see how good you are.............. ( ha ha)
    thanks,
    Jon

What's it worth?

Are you saying that Walsall was an OEM supplier to Ferrari from 1966 to 1968?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    G,day all,sticking my neck out and my oar in..may I suggest the change may have happened when FIAT took over much of the car production.When looking for a pre Fiat Ferrari I looked at a 69 365GT2+2(Nardi)and a 71 365GTC(Momo).I think you.ll find that the Daytona,s and 206,246 Dino and the Fiat Dino also had Momo.My 73,365GT42+2 has a Momo,the 330 of course has a Nardi ..perhaps it was political??

8. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #8 shaughnessy, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
    Known by very few alleged Ferrari experts. 100% correct. Have seen several - mostly 66 into 67. Momo are first seen on 68 365gt2+2's and 69 365GTC's.

Thank you for your accurate information.

9. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    Hello Jon, thanks for the welcome. Yes, Walsall supplied wheels to Ferrari starting in 1966 when the old man had a spat of some sort with Enrico Nardi. That was also the year Nardi died. At first glance, the Walsall wheels look similar to the Nardi steering wheels (both were solid spoke), but the Walsalls didn't have the black stripe. Additionally, the Walsall spokes had an "engraved" pattern that was likely pressed into the spoke. The days of true guillochet (type of pattern engraving) were over. 1967 looked to be exclusively Walsall, but from what I've observed, in 1968 leather rimmed wheels started to take over. That's when I stopped paying attention. It was also around that time that Momo came into existence.

The Walsall wheel you have is unusual in that it's 17". I don't recall seeing one that size before. I would be very interested in seeing the reverse side with the indents - that will tell me something. It looks like it has a slight dish too. The BMW center did not come with the wheel. The Walsalls of that type were aftermarket and the center opening and bolt pattern were standard. Walsall was also the maker of the Les Leston line of steering wheels, identified by the LL stamping on a spoke. Most of the wheels of the style of yours were marketed by Leston and they were popular on British cars and even Porsche 356. As for the value, hmmmm, what would you take? :)

woodrim

10. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    When speaking of these wheels and their makers, especially when mentioning Momo, it's helpful to mention whether wood or leather.

woodrim

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #11 Napolis, Mar 6, 2009
  12. Jon Hansen

Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    #12 Jon Hansen, Mar 6, 2009
  13. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #13 Bryanp, Mar 7, 2009
  14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    many 275's and 330's(ie 330 gts) have momo wood wheels. the momo is stamped on the back of the 6 o'clock spoke.
    ed

15. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    Jon: Thanks again for the pictures. My guess is that your wheel is a relatively early Walsall. I say that without knowing exactly when Walsall started making wheels, but I think probably the early sixties. Getting back to youe earlier question about value, it would depend on how well the wheel was matched to an application. Those wheels will always have much greater value when paired with an original boss. Beyond that, value will be greatly influenced by marque of car. Alone, the wheel should get $400-$600. The high mark - with an original boss for the right marque, $1200?

woodrim

16. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    Edward: Again, it would be helpful if you specified wood or leather rimmed. Another thing to keep in mind is that people may have changed wheels at some point during their ownership. Although I don't know the exact date, I believe Momo came into existence after the 275 and 330 models did, but there could have been some overlap. To my knowledge, the earlier of those models got Nardi wood wheels and the others got Walsall. Momo started by providing fatter rimmed steering wheels to the race cars. At that time, the drivers who liked them were switching out original wheels. If you can provide a picture of an early Momo on any 275 or 330 it would be helpful. If you're talking about leather rimmed wheels, I won't be able to add much as I don't pay any attention to them.

woodrim

17. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    Bryanp: Thanks for those great pictures. The "lovingly inconsistent" raised dowel grips on the reverse - or at least on that wheel may be more the result of a restoration. The rim does look to have been restored. Although a lot of what I say is conjecture, it's also based on a good deal of knowledge and experience. When the wheel was made, the pegs were likely evened out reasonably well after initial installation, just before the ends were rounded. The dowels, or pegs, started falling out of the wheels after a few decades; the hyde glue used back then wasn't up to today's glue standards. Some of the other pegs might have loosened during the restoration. If the restorer removed the pegs and didn't document which holes they came from, he may have run into trouble when putting them back in. Of course I don't mean to say this sort of thing would have happened to me ;-) The holes for the pegs may or may not have all been drilled the same depth, and the pegs weren't necessarily inserted all the way in. This all resulted in the actual pegs being of different lengths - not at all an issue while in their original positions. But, if reinserted during a restoration without strict attention, they might result in noticeably uneven elevations.

woodrim

18. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    Sorry, Edward, I just saw that you did indicate wood. I seriously doubt it, but if you can provide a picture or two it might help.

woodrim

19. Jon Hansen

Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    #19 Jon Hansen, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
    woodrim,
    Thanks for your comments and estimate. My particular wheel was part of a $500 deal for an old BMW and parts, so I guess I did all right.
    Sadly, the mystery of origin still remains for the time being. I would think the rarity (oddity?) of being a 17" dia. wheel might narrow the field a bit.
    If you do figure out what this wheel came off of, please give me a shout.
    Looking forward to seeing more interesting wheels in this thread,
    Jon

What diameters are most common on the older Ferrari cars?

20. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    Jon: Remember, Walsall made the wheels for no specific car. The made adapter bosses for many cars. From there you might just think of which cars were most likely suitable for a slightly dished 17" wheel. Some that come to mind are XK 120-150, saloons, MAYBE 356 B&C, ...

The older the car/steering wheel, the larger the diameter. I focus mostly on 1950-late sixties, the Nardi years. Unlike the Brits, they used a strange measurement system called metric. Those wheels were mostly 420mm and some 400mm; an occasional small one at 390mm later on.

woodrim

21. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    we've owned the car since 1960; the only restoration was a light sand and application of tongue oil. No pegs have fallen out on our watch (49 years)

22. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
  23. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    #23 woodrim, Mar 7, 2009
    Bryanp:

1968 365GT2+2
    1955 s.II 500 Mondial
    1960 MGA 1600
    Mini Cooper S

Odd bed fellows, huh? Do you have this wheel on your MGA ?

24. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    no, but I covet it every time I open the Moss catalog. Do you think the repros sold by Moss are up to snuff?

25. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    No, Bryanp, the Moto-Lita version sold by Moss is highly inaccurate. The original wheels were made by Bluemel's only for factory issue. They started out with segmented mahogany rims like the one in the picture, then changed to barrel wound beech. The mahogany represent the majority of those produced. Moto-Lita makes a beech version, but the rim is too fat and shaped incorrectly, spokes are off a bit, boss is shaped wrong, and so on. The one in the picture is a replica of much better quality. I'll email you off line with details.

woodrim