Newbie - Steering Wheel Junkie | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Newbie - Steering Wheel Junkie

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by woodrim, Mar 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    That is a lot prettier...

I guess the "plywood" has to wear out sometime, so what would the approximate turn-around time be; and would you have a "loaner" wheel? Healeys cannot be coaxed to turn without significant force on the steering column, I'd hate for the car to be disabled in one spot in the garage until the wheel was returned.

Mike, I just don't know how those rumors get started! Definately no Cobra, but I am working on getting a starter Ferrari. I just need a few more things to go the right way (and for a long enough period of time), but my SO is already onboard with the idea, bless her heart ;)

2. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    Wow, lucky you. No rumor was started. I thought I saw you post it, but it must have been another person. I'll take the rim question offline. Please email me directly at [email protected]

3. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    #53 410SA, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    410SA: Nice wheels. Well, three of them. The first is Ferrari issue unsigned Nardi. The last one is the signature series aftermarket wheel, most likely purchased and installed by an owner. The second wheel on the 275 is the one I've been researching. It appears that they were Momo and Walsall built. But the one that threw me was the DB4; that's a more modern fat rim style Nardi like those still available today. The Aston should have had a black, three spoke wheel with laminated rim, rivets, and rivet heads serving as finger grips on the rear.

Thanks for sharing.

woodrim

5. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #55 Ed Niles, Mar 27, 2009
  6. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    #56 ColdWater, Mar 27, 2009
    Good guess - just like mine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #57 Boudewijn, Mar 27, 2009
    So I guess this is the Aston wheel that you are pointing at?

8. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #58 Ed Niles, Mar 27, 2009
  9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    In post #58, third wheel down, i have that same slotted wood wheel. thinking about putting it on my daytona. i prefer the wood wheels to the leather wheels. more in the traditional ferrari character.
    let me know your thoughts.
    ed

10. MarkL

MarkL Karting
    Owner

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    #60 MarkL, Mar 27, 2009
    Hi Mike,

Have always wondered about the origin of my steering wheel and am hoping you or someone can help me. Car is a 1951 212 Inter, originally bodied as a Vignale Coupe but rebodied by Drogo in early 1960's. Am pretty sure the steering wheel is not original but have not been able to determine from where it came. Cerytainly not an early wheel maybe from a 250 GTL/GTB? The car was rolled in a hill climb prior to the rebody so I assume the original wheel was damaged and discarded. Any thoughts on what this is or where it might have been sourced from? The car is not currently in my garage but should be home next week if additional pictures are required.

Best,
    Mark

11. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Interesting! can you post a photo of the car? thanks

12. MarkL

MarkL Karting
    Owner

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    #62 MarkL, Mar 28, 2009
  13. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    Yes, Boudewijn. That be it ! :)

14. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    Yes, Ed, it does appear to be from an E-Type. The earliest ones were beech, but most were like yours, mahogany. All were made by Coventry Timber Bending.

woodrim

15. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    Ed: I should have also noted that they had an unusually thin rim and experience a great deal of flex, often developing cracks in the wood as a result. The internal metal of the rim is only about 3/8" wide. Refrain from using the wheel as an aid to get in and out of the car.

woodrim

16. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    VERY nice SI , Coldwater. I had a SII FHC until about three years ago.

woodrim

17. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert

Ed: That third one isn't original to the car, right? Was that a Ferrari issue? If so, I would think sometime in the seventies.

woodrim

18. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    Hello Mark. The wheel does look correct for a 1951 Inter, however, I believe it to have been re-wooded. The '51 Inter wheel should look like this one: http://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/image/101413987 You'll notice that the spokes are the same, except for the guillochet, but the rim is much different. The rim on yours is segmented, but does not have the rivets and the indents on the rear are unlikely original as well. I've stopped saying always and never, but I will say they typically had dowels on the rear for grips. Also, another tip off is the area of the rim where the spokes join. Notice the raised bit of wood in that area? While many period wheels do display that flaw, most are of the wrapped style, not segmented. The build process allows for that not to happen with segmented rims. The maker was an amateur (at least at rim making). I'd be able to tell more if I could see the side view and rear in equally good photos.

woodrim

19. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The Aston raced quite a bit and the wheel is really comfortable. It fits perfectly and has a solid feel, unlike the thinner wheels which tend to flex considerably in rapid direction changes.

20. MarkL

MarkL Karting
    Owner

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest

Mike,
    Thank you for the info. Strangely fitting that the steering wheel was rebodied (rewooded?) as well. Will get some better pictures next week and see if they shed any light.
    Best,
    Mark

21. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    #71 ArtS, Mar 29, 2009
  22. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    #72 246tasman, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009

Yes, they show NORMAL driving in a Ferrari by their maker.

I do understand that some people don't like to rev them as they worry about wearing them out etc, but these engines were actually designed to be used up to the red line. It's called maximum PERMITTED, and everything below that is PERMITTED by the design. Of course this means you need to maintain your engine, and if you don't you can't do this with impunity. Otherwise - do so - it's what their creator intended.

23. woodrim

woodrim Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike Lempert
    Thanks, Art. There always seems to be an exception. The addition of those tabs at the spoke ends came more into play at a later date, so I'm surprised to see it on an earlier car. Generally, those tabs signal a less desirable/valuable wheel. There are a few exceptions though; two of which would be the Siata and EFFPI wheels. The EFFPI were used on Shelby Mustangs and Maserati - and a few others less noteworthy.

woodrim

24. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    The steering wheel with the slotted spokes in Art's photo (or similar) was also used on the short-nose 275 GTB, before changing to the MOMO engraved-spoke wheel at some point. The MOMO is typical of long-nose 275's.

25. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Not only do I prefer the 275 GTB shortnose to the longnose cars, I have always admired this particular wood steering wheel with the slotted spokes and should I be fortunate enough to buy a 275 GTB down the road, that would be a must have. Who manufactured that wheel?