Newbie with a 328 project | FerrariChat

Newbie with a 328 project

Discussion in '308/328' started by puckf16, Jun 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. puckf16

puckf16 Rookie

May 23, 2009
    Severna Park, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hi everyone. I have been lurking around on the site for the last few months and thought I would introduce myself. I have a basket case non running '86 328 gts that I bought about 9 months ago. I plan on making my own restomod ferrari. Should be a fun project. I have learned a lot from the site already....lots of smart and talented people. Looking forward to having a running car in the next couple of years.

Eric

2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Welcome aboard Eric. Please do take some time to post "before" photos, history, S/N, plans for
    your resto, etc.... threads like this can be fun and very long lived here at F-Chat.

Good luck to you.

Jedi

3. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Yes welcome to the site. please keep us updated with your progress and post lots of before & after pics. Most if not everything you will be doing has already been done by someone on this site so there is plenty of help available. Good luck with your project.

4. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    PICS!
    And your plans/ideas.

Ignore those that preach blasphemy.

What did you pay for the car, from whom? Why was it like that? We need the whole story here!

5. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #5 viper_driver, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. puckf16

puckf16 Rookie

May 23, 2009
    Severna Park, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Nice pic CAS......I guess I better post some pics.

7. puckf16

puckf16 Rookie

May 23, 2009
    Severna Park, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #7 puckf16, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you don't mind what is the VIN?

How did it come to be in that condition?

9. puckf16

puckf16 Rookie

May 23, 2009
    Severna Park, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The VIN is ZFFXA20A6G0060425. When I got a carfax report it did not have a lot of history. I bought the car from a guy in CA that was going to clean it up and get it running, then sell it. He lost interest and it sat for over a year outside. Before that.....I know very little about the car other than it was in New Jersey prior to the guy I bought it from who bought it in an auction. The car has a clear title but there is no doubt in my mind that the car sustained water damage at some point....mold, surface rust, dirt in strange places. Anyway, not a big deal to me since I am going to completely refurb/modify the car. I am not all that concerned about originality since it is going to be a restomod.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Other than colors and being built in October I have no info on it.

Good luck with the project.

11. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The body looks straight from the pics, when you take it apart, be very careful with the plastic pieces (ie interior air vents) some of them may be discontinued or cost you mucho money to be replaced if damaged.

Could be a fun project.

12. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Could be an expensive project.

13. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #13 tommott77, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    I remember that car (I think). It was on ebay last year listed as a non-runner, I think the bidding got up to about $17k or so. I spoke with the seller after the auction and he said that he reached an agreement with somebody in CA after the bidding ended. IIRC the seller was attributing the non-running issue at the time to a fuel injection issue. I could be wrong as the time frame seems to be a little off as I remember the auction with the sale of the car going to NJ to CA was a little over a year ago.

If this is the car have you diagnosed what is wrong with the motor? By the sound of things it sounds somewhat more than a "fuel injection issue".

14. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Erik, looks like a good project! No doubt will be lots of work. Hopefully you won't need too many expensive parts.

If you're planning on doing some modifications to the car then beware of the "wine and cheese" snooty crowd here who will sneer at just about anything other than the original ferrari parts and original configuration and cosmetics. I would encourage you to be creative and think about what you want to do with it with an open mind. Make the project your own, not some mindless drill focused on originality. The 308/328 design can definitely be improved upon in many areas! Work carefully and engineer with some finesse and you'll have a nice car on your hands!

Good luck!

15. Steve ors

Steve ors Rookie

Dec 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steve o
    Hey Eric, I know this is a long shot but do you still have the Ferrari. I was the owner of that car from New Jersey. I actually still have the title oddly enough. Please feel free to reach out to me. Would love to know how your project is going.
    Thanks,
    Steve o

miketuason likes this.