Newey: "F1 needs to be aspirational" | FerrariChat

Newey: "F1 needs to be aspirational"

Discussion in 'F1' started by Rosso328, Nov 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Apologies, I'm a bit late posting this. Adrian Newey attended the Classic 24 at Daytona with the '84 March he designed. Didn't race it though, destroyed the rear right suspension when a tire blew in practice. Shame.

In any case, he took time Friday evening to participate in a Q&A session. For a few of the questions, he laughed and said "there's no one from F1 here tonight, is there?" Some of his thoughts that I recall (paraphrased from memory):

(Asked where he sees F1 in 10 years). F1 needs to be aspirational. We watch sports to see people do things we know we could never do. If you make the cars so easy to drive that people think 'yeah, I could do that' you've lost it. No one will watch. (He answered a follow up question with "Liberty Media is an American company isn't it? Send them an email. Make some phone calls.")

(When asked whether Lewis would be champion if everyone had an equal car). Absolutely not. If you put Sebastian, Lewis and our two boys in the same car, I don't know who the champion would be, but I know Lewis wouldn't be winning all the races.

(And my favorite, when asked about the hybrid power units). Come on, let's face it. No kid ever put a poster of a Prius on his bedroom wall.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The other guy up there with him is Ray Evernham, NASCAR engineer and crew chief for such guys as Jimmie Johnson. Very smart and funny guy in his own right. One story was about building and racing his own cars, but after sitting out due to injuries from a crash - he crashed a lot - he started building cars for other guys. Those guys won a lot. And he thought "Wow. If I can build cars that good, I must be a really ****ty driver." And he stayed behind the wall ever since. But he's another thread.

Finlander, 375+, E60 M5 and 8 others like this.
  2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Adrian telling us what f1 insiders really think...... candid

Bas likes this.
  3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Adrian is a verrry smart cookie,also like the interview with Brundle ,including driving his Lotus 49B at Zandvoort this year..

daytona355 likes this.
  4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    So Adrian Newey completely forgot about the Ferrari LaFerrari then?
    How about the McLaren P1?
    what about the Porsche 918?
    The BMW i8?

If Newey only thinks of the Toyota Prius when it comes to hybrid cars, then he's sadly a bit behind the times!

I guess that shows with the forth coming Aston Martin/Red Bull Hypercar too - Just as the established super/hypercar manufacturers are embracing hybrid technology, Aston Martin/Red Bull are joining the party with an old fashioned naturally aspirated V12 car.

It's quite funny really, when you read the bumph on their site about this car: https://media.astonmartin.com/aston-martin-and-red-bull-racing-unveil-radical-am-rb-001-hypercar/ , they talk about it being a "ground-breaking hypercar" - But how can it be truly "ground-breaking" when it fails to embrace the latest power-train technology? :confused:

Perhaps that's been the problem with Red Bull's F1 car this season, and the reason for them copying Ferrari's side-pod arrangement - Adrian Newey simply doesn't "get" the modern hybrid technology side of things! ;)

5. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Terrible camerawork and lightning but still a good Interview with Newey, partly about his new book.