430 - Newly Converted 6 Speed Manual Potential Issues/Question | FerrariChat

430 Newly Converted 6 Speed Manual Potential Issues/Question

Discussion in '360/430' started by beasters, Dec 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beasters

beasters Rookie

Dec 6, 2022
    Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2005 f430 from a dealership who converted the car from an F1 automatic to 6 speed gated manual, recently before I purchased it.

So far all is good but the dealership told me when they convert these f430's they add a dedicated reservoir for the clutch fluid. Unfortunately after I got home, I took a look and it seems like the clutch master cylinder is being fed brake fluid from the brake fluid reservoir right above it. The dealership themself told me this was not an ideal situation due to the brake fluid reservoir building up pressure.. really confused.

My clutch pedal is very stiff, which I think seems normal according to some others.. but it also catches closer towards the top of the clutch travel. I also hear a whining like noise that I thought might be differential whine but if I rev the engine in neutral, completely stopped with the parking brake on, I still hear it just as much as if I were in gear accelerating. The sound gets louder the higher in the rpms I rev.

I have no point of reference, this is my first ferrari and only f430 I have ever been in before.. However, I have driven many different manual vehicles in my life. This clutch is by far the stiffest and highest catching.

I'm wondering if this whining could have anything to do with this newly converted manual setup or maybe something else? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you all!

2. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Technically you shouldn't need to get inside the gearbox for the swap. The clutch catching high is normal. The whine is fairly common, most likely from the ring and pinion.

beasters likes this.
  3. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    Assuming I understand what you are describing correctly, that is how they did it from the factory for the 360. Here is the parts diagram.

4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Some Guy in the sky likes this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Please provide a you tube video for the sound ..maybe normal, maybe belts on alternator/ Ac or throw out bearing

Does the noise change when you push clutch in or out ..put ac on and off ?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Marcoboxer likes this.
  6. beasters

beasters Rookie

Dec 6, 2022
    Hi Flash, I don't believe the noise is any different with the clutch in or out. Weather here has been cold as hell and rainy since I got the car. When I drive it next I will post a video of the sound. Thanks for the help! Waiting to Ravenol VSG gear oil you recommended to get here as well!

jerbear27 and flash32 like this.
  7. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

If the dealership told you that the clutch master cyl sharing brake fluid resvoir is not an ideal situation then I would find another dealership cause they don't know what they're talking about. All factory 360 and 430 manual shift cars clutch master cylinder share the brake reservoir. A converted car can be done either way but that's another thread.

one4torque, cavlino and RedTaxi like this.
  8. beasters

beasters Rookie

Dec 6, 2022
    I do realize that these cars came from the factory with just the brake fluid reservoir suppling fluid to the clutch. The dealership just told me that the brakes build pressure in the system and it causes poor clutch feel. Is this not the case?

9. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I converted my first f430 in 2017 exactly the same way it would have come from the factory. I never had an issue with the brakes or clutch or poor clutch pedal feel. The pedal catches towards the top as mentioned and there should be 1 inch play at the top. I Drove the car for 3 years.

RANDY6005 and cavlino like this.
  10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    NO. Whomever you spoke with at the dealership is an idiot and should be beaten with whatever tool is nearby. Both the brake master cylinder and the clutch master cylinder take unpressurized brake fluid from the brake reservoir and then suck it in and pressurize it down the brake line or clutch line. Completely different hydraulic lines. One goes one way.. the other a completely different direction. No effect on one another.

You might need to bleed the system with a brake bleeder. You loosen the nipple at the bleed block and pump the brake. I've even used a gentle vacuum to suck out the air in the system. The bleed nipple may fit loosely aluminum to aluminum, I've used a wind of plumbers tape to perfect the seal. To each their own.

11. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    My oem gated 430 clutch is definitely not stiff. Seeing how mechanical the gate looks, I assumed the clutch would be heavy, but surprisingly it really isn’t much different than my 993 or cayman.

What is different from other clutches is that pedal travel is very short, and there is not much play at top of travel. From what I understand the clutch is automatically adjusting to keep this amount of play fixed. Fwiw my gated 575 clutch behaves the same way. Hopefully the experts can shed more light if I am wrong

12. beasters

beasters Rookie

Dec 6, 2022
    Thanks for all the information guys! I will post a video of the whining sound I get when reving the engine when weather permits.

13. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Btw, has anyone heard of a dealer doing a f1-stick conversion? Seems this is done by independent shops.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    If a shortcut was taken and the thrust (aka throwout) bearing wasn't replaced, then the thrust bearing is designed to use F1 fluid instead of brake fluid. If brake fluid is fed to this thrust bearing, then the seals may prematurely fail. If the proper thrust bearing has been installed, then the brake fluid reservoir should feed the clutch too.

If the car has a new clutch, and releasing at the top may indicate that, then it's also very likely the correct thrust bearing was installed.

15. beasters

beasters Rookie

Dec 6, 2022
    Unfortunately I don’t think the clutch would have been replaced. I was told the clutch had 90 percent life left when the car was converted. If the clutch wasn’t replaced is it less likely the throw out bearing was replaced too?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

one4torque likes this.
  16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    do the gearbox gear changes feel clean and crisp?

17. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    There are 2 ways of doing it:

One is the OEM way, which is to replace the T/O bearing with one designed for brake fluid and to run the clutch line from the clutch master cylinder, which is connected to the brake master cylinder.

The second is to use a clutch master cylinder NOT connected to the brake system and to keep F1 fluid (ATF) to actuate the clutch. You can buy clutch master cylinders that accept ATF/F1 fluid for pretty cheap. This prevents you from needing to change the T/O bearing, which makes the conversion process much simpler mechanically as you only need to add a clutch pedal/clutch master cyl, shift turret/cables, and change the outside gearbox controls.

beasters likes this.
  18. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Then there's the third way where the original thrust bearing is left in place and routed to the brake reservoir. This is the incorrect way. Still a way though. I suspect that many cars that are being converted are taking the shortcut. It would be impossible to tell from an inspection and if purchased from a dealer, they'll just shrug their shoulders when asked such a question. There's a lot of room for shenanigans in the conversion process.

beasters and WillskiGT like this.
  19. beasters

beasters Rookie

Dec 6, 2022
    Here is a video I just took and uploaded to youtube. I have removed the rear diffuser and you can see that I set my phone right next to the gearbox. You can easily hear the difference in sound when I push the clutch in and out. It makes this noise whenever I push the clutch in. You can hear me slightly rev the engine with both the clutch in and out for comparison. Please let me know any thoughts you guy have… would like to prevent any serious issues if at all possible.. seriously thank you guys for all your help!

20. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sounds like throwout bearing to me

EastMemphis and Marcoboxer like this.
  21. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    +1 throw out bearing .. normally they make the noise with clutch released not pushed

Marcoboxer likes this.
  22. beasters

beasters Rookie

Dec 6, 2022
    Literally purchased car a week ago… I knew the whining noise seemed weird when I would rev the engine but I wasn’t sure what it was and like I said.. this is the first Ferrari let alone f430 I’ve ever driven.. and the car was recently converted…. Never imagined there could be an issue like this with a newly converted car…. should I even drive the car like this?

23. CaptainSix

CaptainSix Rookie

Jan 27, 2022
    @beasters Who converted the car? Where was it purchased? Did the previous owner opt for a throw out bearing replacement or a seal rebuild?

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  24. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Something's telling me the car wasn't converted correctly. And no don't drive the car

25. CaptainSix

CaptainSix Rookie

Jan 27, 2022
    That sound is the Pilot Bearing.