news on 599 gto?? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

news on 599 gto??

Discussion in '612/599' started by davide b, Oct 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009

I agree - not sure where that came from...Its probably the wildest use of materials ever installed on a Ferrari

2. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #77 Ferrarista3, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    My comment concerned the looks. Aesthetically the close links are undeniable.

I don't see why the "599 GTO" needs a completely redesigned body to be worthy of the GTO name.

3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    it can be! totally! i just hope its not a scud version of the 599. I think a scud 599 would be awesome! just don't call it a GTO...

You are correct... the 288 was a modified 308... but it was modified by more than just stripping out weight and putting in the boyracer stuff... the wheelbase was modified (I would be happy if the shortened the 599 to make a GTO...) they twin turbocharged the engine (adding say a fxx evo package to the 599 motor would be killer) they changed the orientation of the engine!!! it was no longer transversely mounted. The construction of the car was different. A significant amount of engineering went into the car so they could compete in group B and win. It was a homologation special... just like the original GTO was a 250 SWB... it ended up with a more aerodynamic body... a 5 speed transmission instead of a 4 speed. The transmission was a transaxle. the engine was uprated slightly, all GTOs were aluminum (comp 250swb's were aluminum the rest were steel IIRC) and I believe the GTO ended up with a change in wheelbase as well... the GTO again... homologation special.. and thats what GTO stands for anyways...

I think a new or different version of the 599 would be awesome. The 599 is one of my fav. cars. However, I would be disappointed if they built a "scud" version with only minor changes and used the GTO name. It would pretty much confirm that Ferrari is a brand whore... not that it needed to be (flame suit on) Again, I am a MASSIVE fan of Ferrari, we celebrate his birthday around here! Its just one mans opinion on the internet. The GTOs have always been very special, and while the 599 is a fantastic car, I just hope they make it into a special car that stands the test of time like the previous GTOs before it if they use the GTO name.

4. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #79 AJ, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The people here that don't believe that there is a 599 GTO coming are in for a BIG surprise. They think that because their dealers can't confirm it means it doesn't exist? Naive much?

The 599 GTO (or whatever it's going to be called) is defenitely coming next year. I think it's going to be much more than a stripped down, lighter 599.
    The person that confirmed that the 599 GTO will be produced had previously posted information regarding the California and 458 months before anyone else. He's gained a reputation as a very reliable source and I have no reason to doubt him.

What about this "technical error" Ferrari made a while back?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    This car is coming. Some dealers just dont know about it yet. Why ? I dont know.

6. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Simply because they haven't made any enquiry about it and they don't want to look silly (customer seems to know more about this than we do?). Some dealers are "quicker" than others at getting info from the factory. All I can say is that some dealers (including mine) confirmed that this car is coming. It is going to be a limited edition, will have more power and less weight but for more specifics ... we will have to wait and see.

Look at the pace this thread is going ... all I can say is that if it will be a GTO worthy of that name based on a 599 it will be a killer machine. I don't think Ferrari will use the term GTO unless they think the car deserves this label. If they do use it for a stripped "Scud" style version many of us will be disappointed.

Isn't this exciting?

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    my confirmation came from a few friends who were at the factory very recently as the US dealers dont seem to know.

It is very exciting and i agree if it is named GTO, the car will have to be more than just a remapped and stripped 599..But i think this is what we'll get.

8. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Now, you are changing the subject. The original poster had 1, count 'em, 1 post when he wrote that he had ordered a 599 GTO. If you recall in this thread, Pap said "nice first post."

A week ago, the same poster offered to scan his contract and post it. tick tock . . .

Then Davide b said he put a deposit on a car but "ferrari don't want to spend the gto name for a 599. this is sure." (His quote.)

Like I said, I hope they make the car, but if this cat with 4 posts can stir up this much crap, then we all need to get new jobs.

9. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    #84 George330, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bad idea my friend... Never do this with people you don't know... Makes you look silly... Here you go... I hope you can read German. If not please call Klaus or Marcus, they both speak English...The number is on the order
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    #85 George330, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    I would also appreciate a public apology. I think it is fair, given the language and I am certain you are a gentleman. There ARE people who've had more Ferraris than posts on Ferrarichat believe it or not!

11. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Specifications: 660 cv ; - 180 kg ,near of the 599 appearance with few design modifications. Scud spirit not vintage GTO.

12. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    The subject is the latest news on the 599 GTO, not Davide or George having to prove that they paid deposits.

13. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Don't throw rocks in a glass house...

14. solowmodel

solowmodel Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2009
    Seoul, London, VA
    Full Name:
    WK

This is fair.

15. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Maybe to you

16. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Interesting information.

17. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009
    My wife speaks German and called... sounded like there will be a 599 and the dealer will promise some version of a race version of a 599. I think if Ferrari produces a steroid version its going to be a who is who of Ferrari past customers. Similar to Sessenta

18. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Very well said and George ... Glückwünsche zum Ankauf Ihres 599 GTO. I share your excitement because this may very well be a hell of a car you've got coming.

19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    also, perhaps this is out of line... but I wouldn't completely rule out the fact that a dealer has no problem accepting money... especially in these times. I know dealerships (for a fact) will take deposits on cars that customers are excited about. 30k is a hell of a commitment. If a customer is willing to part with there cash take it, because someone else will. Whats the worst case... ferrari doesn't build the car and the customer gets there money back. But having the deposit means the store can press ferrari for allocation (if the car becomes available) and they have gained a customer.

Just a thought. I know this happens at lower ends... like say mercedes BMW, Porsche stores... ferrari stores... maybe not so much because they sell every car they get. However, many MINI stores (another brand where the dealer sells every car they get) will take a deposit on any of the concept cars regardless of news of official production.

Just sharing a different point of view and some personal experience (albeit not with a ferrari store)

20. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    At the end of the day both 250GTO and 288GTO were heavily based on production cars (250SWB and 308GTB) from which they borrowed most of their mechanicals. Both had modified engines and while the 250 had 100% bespoke bodywork the 288 was a far less modified 308-style body (even though very few panels were shared). Neither of them was technically innovative (the 250 had a live axle and the 288's turbos were not exactly new in 1984) and only one (250) was a success in racing. It took the world 20 years to decide if the 288 is worth the GTO title, but recent price performance shows that it has credibility. Not 15 million dollars worth of credibility, but it easily outperforms the F40 (which is a better car in my view) and I am certain it will go over $1 million in the next 5 years.
    So the basic ingredients are probably there: more power, less weight, some carbon panels (which may be slightly different in design), limited production (600). I don't think it will look totally different. They cannot do this with 300k EUR + taxes...In any case the crucial element is homologation. If the car has it, then I don't see why it cannot be called a GTO.

21. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    We pay more than 30k cash deposits in HK and at times I have had up to 5 deposits with the dealer. I feel like an interest free provider of working capital but that is the price of being at the front

22. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

If you read my posts, you will see that I would love for Ferrari to make this car. My protests have been that people have gotten all riled up over a guy whose first post was that he had ordered a 599 GTO. I have not called anyone any names, and have simply asked for evidence or confirmation.

I took your advice, and called Mr Kordt on your bill. I just got off the phone with him He told me that "at the moment, it was not sure that Ferrari would even make this car."

"They may display a special car at Geneva next year, but there is no assurance it will be made."

Mr. Kordt said he could take a deposit from me, if I provided a germany address. I asked him how he could take a deposit on a car that is not confirmed. He said, "I can still do the paperwork."

I do apologize if you were offended by my questions, because I am seeking answers, not offering a/ss chewing sessions. But my conclusion remains . . . until someone in authority can confirm that this car will be made and sold (not like the 360 Barchetta, whcih was one-off), it is just hype.

23. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    In George his defence:

a) Post #58: you state that he is free to post a scan of the contract.
    b) Post #70: you ask him to name the dealer.

He was kind enough to comply with both requests yet you remain sceptical until "someone in authority can confirm that this car will be made". Maybe we need to get Luca involved to get all questions answered. Would he qualify?

Look it is obvious that dealers don't have full specs on the car but they do have some and these have been confirmed by "authorities" placed above dealers.

Me, I'm just hoping that this car will blow our socks off. The specifics will be released in due time I'm sure. I guess this is part of the suspension build up. Adds to the excitement.

Just my 2 cents.

24. 1445111

1445111 Karting

Jan 10, 2008
    Switzerland /Poland
    Full Name:
    Hape
    #99 1445111, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
    After reading this thread I called my dealer today and he confirmed that a Limited Edition 599 is coming. The following information was given to me via email after our telephone conversation. (it appears to be an extract from a F info. letter to the dealers)

Dear XXX,

As you know and as you have heard, we will be presented the 599 »GTO » (name not confirmed) during the year 2010.

This new car which adapt a more sporty and aggressive feeling is before all targeting the customer of the track. If we would have to make a comparison (which engages only myself), the 599 GTO is at the 599GTB, what the scuderia is at the 430

Lighter -100kg
    More powerful +40-50 HP (680 HP was given verbally to me today)
    More “naked”, more aggressive
    Limited
    And of course a bit more expensive! More likely 20-25% than a 599

The objective that we would like to fix is that this car should be sold before the official presentation (maybe in Geneva), which means to have a consistent portfolio in line with your allocations which will be distributed hopefully by the beginning of November
    To achieve this target I surely hope to have in my hand some more information and data before the end of the year.

Beginning of 2010, we should be able to do one to one presentation in Maranello

I remain at your disposal

NB: the distribution will start beginning of the second semester 2010; it means order in take march 2010

I insist that your clients need to be selected with paying attention to their characteristic but also their link to the brand and to the 12cyl.

** END **

//Hape

25. 1445111

1445111 Karting

Jan 10, 2008
    Switzerland /Poland
    Full Name:
    Hape
    My dealer says that he will get three cars and I am on the list for one of them :) :)

//Hape