news on 599 gto?? | Page 40 | FerrariChat

news on 599 gto??

Discussion in '612/599' started by davide b, Oct 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCCieBon

SoCCieBon F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2008
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #976 SoCCieBon, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    +1 back to you :)

Lots of those comments derive from the lack of knowledge of Ferraris older than the F360, which many fans believe is the beginning of the line for Ferraris, having little idea that Ferrari has existed since the late 1940s, developing cars that were massively copied by other makes throughout the decades. Many members here are under 19 years of age, or thereabouts, if not mentally speaking. And to those 19 years of age, or thereabouts, who *do* understand Ferrari's rich history ---my hat goes off to you ;)

3. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #978 575Mike, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
    Some information below may have been reported, but below is what a Ferrari Engineer told my sales representative, Tyler Dean at Lake Forest Sports, at a meeting today that I was unable to attend....

SYNOPSIS OF MEETING

Showed lots of graph overlays showing the difference in performance versus the normal 599.

The car has enormous amount of 599xx technology.

This is the first time Ferrari has used or tuned the software with performance top priority over safety.

Key to to GTO is the advanced computerization.

Car is full second faster at Fiorano than a 458, 430 Scud and Enzo, the latter three which run about the same lap times.

Car has much bigger front tires than what Ferraris traditionally have.

Car is 110Kg lighter than 599 HGTE.

670 Horsepower.

Trans is 60 Mil sec faster than HGTE.

New CCM brakes.

Double the downforce of a normal 599.

GTO has trick dash read outs like the XX which show how much perf % of the car you are using etc.

The engineer said the difference between a 599 and a 599 GTO is significantly more radical than a 430 and a 430 Scud.

4. SoCCieBon

SoCCieBon F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2008
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Never mind...:D:D

5. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I attended the one on one meeting this afternoon at Continental. There is not a lot to add to what Mike has already mentioned. But sometimes the flavor of the meeting gets lost when you are hearing facts second hand. The factory and the FNA reps. made it very clear that Ferrari considers the new GTO worthy of the badge. Believe me when I say that they understand what that means. This car was built for the loyal ferrari customer who tracks their cars. This is not a mod 599. Even the body panels are new using weight saving materials. The engine is much more 599 XX than 599 GTB or HGTE. The factory rep stated that the HGTE was basically a 10% improvement over the GTB. The GTO is aprox. 25% better than the HGTE. The video showing the GTO being tracked was amazing. The sound inside the car at speed was loud enough. Outside, the car sounded exactly like what it is...... a racecar for the street.
    One of the displays is called the VPI. Vehicle Performance Index. It allows the driver at a glance to determine how much of the cars potential he is actually using. 50%,70%? This info is downloadable so the driver can read it safely after the fact if he prefers. If you pull the left paddle and keep it pulled. The GTO will multishift two or three gears straight down in under 120 milliseconds! The ferrari test drivers love it. Imagine being able to do that going into a turn. This car is set up to get the most out of the driver as well as the car. The factory has set this car up to have a much more powerfull lower band than the HGTE. Much quicker response and much more torque. Top speed will not be much greater than todays HGTE. But that was not the intent. Ferrari built this car to handle like a mid engine ferrari and improve its handeling and low and midrange capabilities. Ferrari has not put this kind of presentation together since the Enzo was introduced. Thats how much they believe in the new GTO. This is a very special car and only 599 will be produced. 120 slated for the USA. Every dealer will get one before year end. It will take four quarters to build them all so most of us with orders will not receive them until 2011. Those of us with orders wil spec the cars in late May or June. Official presentation next week. The following few weeks will be FNA deciding dealer allocations and which customers at what dealers are going to get them. A written presentation will be required by the dealer representing their buyer. With the potential buyer providing in writing why they should get one. FNA will rely heavily on the dealers recommendations but that doesn't necessarily mean that its a done deal. Once the buyers have been picked they will be allowed to spec their cars. The factory rep. said that the company is proud of the 458 and the Cali. But the GTO with two years in development represents the cutting edge of tech and surpasses the 458 in every catagory. The GTO was built specifically for the driver who enjoys testing himself as well as his car.

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    despite all of the above, 599 is just too heavy to make sense as a track special. will be nice to see all these advances on the track version 458 though

7. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    [size=+1]Wow![/size]

8. big.bryant

big.bryant Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
    +10

9. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    This sounds really interesting. Thanks for the information guys.

10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Wonder why they omitted the center locking hubs on this car?

11. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    [size=+3]WOW![/size] I can't wait

12. giago

giago Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Giago
    I want to know the same as well, now even the porsche gt3 has it, and i think it would be really nice in this car.

13. dgfhdfgh

dgfhdfgh Guest

Jan 30, 2009
    I think that the reason may rest between homologation requirements for some countries and the hub design of the second generation ceramic brakes for the GTO. I believe that manufacturers view these matters differently within their design/marketing processes and the evident is sometimes less so.

Good report Speed Racer; it confirms my feelings as well on the direction the GTO has and future two-seater V12s will take, ie ultra capable track cars with extreme on road composure AND vice versa.

14. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
  15. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Amen to that!

Gr. Martin

16. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Very interesting posts... When I think back to the origins of this stream, I remember that we all questioned whether the car was worthy of the name. Even those of us who've placed orders (myself included)
    As more and more information becomes available, it appears that the car is quite special and most -if not all- of the customers who've already been to the Maranello presentations have come away impressed.

Ferrari may be right after all and interest in the car may peak well after the 599 units have been shifted. That would be a nice surprise to those of us who stuck by our deposits and will be taking delivery next summer/fall...

I will reserve judgement until I have attended the world premiere on the 14th and specced my car the following day at the Atelier. Naturally I will keep you posted!

17. FerrariMC

FerrariMC Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2006
    Allentown, PA Area
    Full Name:
    Mark C
    I haven't been very vocal in this forum, due to the fact I'm not an owner, though I know even as an enthusiast I can voice my opinion, I've instead been watching and paying attention to this forum daily. I just wanted to thank EVERYONE of the owners and/or individuals who have been to the presentation regarding this amazing 599 GTO and chose to share their experiences with all of us mere mortals with the "dream" of owning one of these still in our future. It's been awesome to hear first hand from you all what the factory is saying regarding this GTO, your thoughts, and ultimately how much of an impact this car is going to make on Ferrari's current range in this current market. I, for one, can't believe they placed more R&D into this model than the 458 Italia, according to what some of you stated the factory reps have claimed!!! That's surprising for an existing model, but hey, who am I to judge! I just can't WAIT to see this in the flesh and especially on the track! Thanks to all and keep the updates coming, you've made us all feel like we're on the waiting list with you!!! Grazie mille! Ciao!

PS. How are they going to top the GTO with the 599's replacement? Thoughts? Keeping in mind that the GTO is for the track. Though maybe I'm comparing two Ferraris that probably shouldn't be compared....

Mark

18. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    GTO is not a "track special",it's an ultimate street Ferrari that also could be used on track days.

19. FerrariMC

FerrariMC Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2006
    Allentown, PA Area
    Full Name:
    Mark C
    No, I know that, I'm just making the point that the 599 replacement won't (in my opinion) be as "track oriented" or developed with such track specific technologies, as the GTO, so the 599 replacement would be developed with different intentions, obviously. So needless to say, the 599's replacement won't need to exceed the GTO's technologies as far as track use is concerned, that's all. Although it would be unbelieveable if it did!! Forza Ferrari!

20. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Also recall that, in addition to thin tin, that the window glass will be thinner, also. And so essentially the entire shell will be GTO exclusive.

Steering is unique to the GTO, as well - more sensitive, with fewer turns lock-to-lock.

And the electronics are consistently present for improved pace, as opposed to only coming into play once you've over-cooked it. Proactive v. Reactive.

Seems quite the well-engineered, focused piece.

Interesting the youtube "spy" clips of the car at the 'ring. Be curious to see how much "VPI" it may take to unseat the ACR ...

21. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Was told 100 (or less) for U.S. - nothing about notes/letters, maps to the stars' homes. FNA gettin' their LFA on?!

22. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "With the potential buyer providing in writing why they should get one."

Is there an emoticon for "guffaw?" Will anyone actually do this?

If so, I would love to see those little essays published.

23. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Indeed ;) but I'll enjoy mine nonetheless as I've been excited about this car since day one. Coming back after the presentation in Maranello only increased the feeling of excitement. I just can't wait to drive it for the first time with a smile on my face from ear to ear :D

24. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    ... kicking on the adrenaline rush ...

25. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    ... and sweat in the palm of my hands ... (And I've got reply #1000 in this thread :D)