news on 599 gto?? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

news on 599 gto??

Discussion in '612/599' started by davide b, Oct 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    you my friend are a very lucky and gratious man! Thats awesome!

2. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009
    Thank You ... this is refreshing news / allows me to make an informed decision

3. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dig a little deeper my friend, and you will see that I have been nothing but polite. No name calling. My post #58 is in reply to post #21 where the scan was offered. That's all. Why not just post the scan instead of all the drama?

My post #70 was not a balls-in-your-face challenge, but rather a contination of other posts (such as #61) which spoke of dealers.

And, after I saw the name of the dealer in Koln, I called him, as I was invited to do, and guess what . . . he said he was not sure it was a GTO?

So, what would you have me do? I ask polite questions. I am told I look silly, and I am told not to throw rocks in glass houses. Since when did asking a question become such an insult?

AND, LET"S NOT FORGET . . . MY CALL TO THE DEALER . . . HE SAID HE COULD NOT CONFIRM A 599 GTO.

So, what do we do . . . we take a popular vote and determine truth that way? Do we believe what is on a piece of paper with a signature? (I would generally do that.) But when the guy whose signature is on that very piece of paper tells me that he can't confirm a GTO, then what do I believe?

Here is the issue . . . we all know that Ferrari goes through evolutions of cars. The 308, becomes the 328, becomes the 348 etc. The 550 becomes the 575.

Nobody in his right mind would doubt that Ferrari will evolve the 599. But we are talking about a VERY specific issue right here. (At least, that is what I am talking about.) We are talking about nomenclature which includes the letters G, T and O. This is special. This is historical, this is about pedigree.

The last time Ferrari produced a GTO, Enzo was alive, they sold 200 of them at about $90,000 USD and the price later topped $1,000,000 (or more). I know a lawyer in Miami, initials B.E, who bought the 288 GTO for about $90K from the dealer. He let me drive it.

I have NO doubt that Ferrari will make a bigger, better and stronger 599. I DO have doubts that they will call it a GTO. The bill that George provided was convincing, until I called the dealer--even he could not stand behind what he had signed. I don't doubt George's good intentions, and I never intended to be impolite. But, I really want to know. Forgive my passion, please.

Now, this is getting a little out of hand. Time for me to move on. Feel free to blast me--my skin is not thin. But, I have said my piece and peace.

I hope they make this car, because I will stretch my budget to buy it.

4. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    My specifications are OK.
    Not 680 cv,just because it s important to conserv Enzo power place until his replacement.
    Other element,at the end of this limited serie,the 599 modificata should have the same engine evolution.

5. 1445111

1445111 Karting

Jan 10, 2008
    Switzerland /Poland
    Full Name:
    Hape
    #105 1445111, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
    Your are most likely right about the 680 cv. I was just forwarding what I received earlier today verbally and in writing.

//Hape

6. Jompen

Jompen Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    So it will likely not be named 599GTO and will be a scuderia version of the 599. Very cool, that will be a fast car, new record on Fiorano is coming up !

7. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    1445111 you ve very good informations and may be actualised.Mines have 3 month old...
    I could give you news in about 2 weeks.

8. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It was a great day for golf but when I read this post after returning to office, I felt even better...seems I made the right choice in laying down a deposit for a spot on the list...keep the news good and posts positive.

And, thanks so much guys for all your advance and investigative work over past few weeks.

It's gonna be great! :)

9. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I really do appreciate the reply and the apology. Let's consider the matter closed and focus on the car! This is all I know:

-I have a very senior management source in Maranello (I am afraid I am not permitted to reveal the name, but he is directly involved in the development of the car) who confirmed to me on the phone, 4 days after I placed the order, that the car is scheduled to be called a GTO and -in his view- it was one of the best cars they'd ever made. In his words it was a "599xx for the road"

-Subsequently I called an Official Service Agent in the UK (a personal friend). He had just come back from a week in Maranello and confirmed the existence of the project AND the GTO name, as well as some spec details, but he thought that the car spec is still not completed and that it will be closer to a Scuderia in style, i.e. not as bespoke as one would expect from a GTO. He thought the car would have a bit more horsepower, carbon bootlid and bonnet, very high spec suspension and brakes, 60ms gearbox, but NOT a stripped interior

Both sources are 100% trustworthy and I have known them for years. However their stories are not 100% the same

Does this mean the name might change if the car is just a 599CS? YES it is possible, but then I am not sure anyone would pay 300k EUR + taxes for a 599 Scuderia. Certainly not me. I also think Ferrari would have a tough time getting a deposit from clients again, before confirming the existence of any car.

Whichever way I look at it, I think it is very bad business for Ferrari to take 600 deposits (that's 18 million Euros / 26 million dollars) for a car that will either not be produced or will have a different name to the one on the order form. It can only cause disappointment and it would be a sign of great arrogance from the firm.

I will keep you posted as I find out more.

10. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Nice to see this thread back on track.

So - a hotter 599 is looking very likely. I have to say, as has been said before, that using the tag GTO for this car would be a big surprise if the car is not, in some way, a homologation car for race eligibility. That after all, that is what GTO stands for. We all know the story of the 250 GTO, and even the poor old 288 GTO was destined for the track (or gravel as it was meant to serve as the basis for a Group B rally car). A 599 GTO doesn't need to be very different to a stock 599 to justify wearing the GTO badge - it just has to have the race link...

Ferrari may be arrogant, and some would argue justifiably so, but I doubt they would be silly enough to damage a key brand asset so easily...

11. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Not to throw any fuel on this but let's be honest: This is the internet and people are often (usually) not as they present themselves. It's normal for forums to take what new users say with a healthy dose of salt simply out of past experience, as we've all seen children posting tall tales here. Credible posts equal credibility. No confrontation is necessary.

That said, thanks for the confirmation! I still wouldn't bet on it being called a "GTO" though. Ferrari have a long history of deciding upon names and surprising everyone at the very last second. To my eyes, any new GTO would have to be a racing 'homologation' model as that's been the MO behind the name itself. Could a privateer GT1 entrant be in the making?

12. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    you bring up a good point there at the end...there were rumours in the past that they may decide to race the 599 platform..could this be a way in to that?

13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I agree and I would say that this is a good post.

however, :) The 250 swb and 250 GTO weren't all that mechanically similar. Sure the engine used the same architecture but all of the bodywork was different, the wheelbase was different, the GTO had a 5 speed, it was a transaxle, it was constructed of different materials than a standard road spec 250 swb (aluminum vs steel construction). The 288 vs the 308 again, similar engine architecture but the rest was different. The GTO was turbocharged vs normal aspiration, the engine was mounted longitudinally vs transversely, wheelbase was longer, bodywork was entirely different (even the side-view mirrors were different). While the GTO has never been a clean sheet of paper design, it has always been a much different car than the car in which it was based. Engineering wise the cars were very very different

anyways... LOL

the new 599 YTBD name/scud/stradale is going to be a very cool car! I am very excited to see it. (just hoping they don't use the GTO badge)

14. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Thanks. I agree.

What got lost in all of this is that I wanted to verify this, because I wanted to make a deposit myself. Atlanta would not take it. Miami would not take it.

I look forward to buying one of these and meeting you and your car for a friendly challenge on some very worthy track. Even if I will have to buy in the secondary market.

15. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    You are right, although as far as I know both 250SWB and 250GTO used the same 2400mm (94.5 in) wheelbase. Perhaps my memory is playing games...The 288 was indeed a longer car than the 308 by 100mm
    On the 288 I believe only the doors are shared with the 308 (and the engine minus the turbos) ...In chassis terms it is further away from the 308 than the SWB is from the 250GTO, even though the styling is similar. Also the bodywork material was different

The question for the audience is: If the 599 GTO comes in at 360k EUR before options (call it 400k EUR inclusive) it will be the same cost more or less as a good 288GTO!
    Which one would you rather have????

16. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Excluding the disputes this has been a very good thread, I get the feeling there will bea faster 599 as Ferrari will need to distance the 599 from the cheaper 458 which is nearly as fast.

680 bhp sounds about right, more power than the LP670SV and think about it Ferrari has had experience with the engine in the FXX program so in standard 611 bhp the motor is probably mildly tuned.

I am genuinely excited about this car regardless of name, the standard 599 is to me one of the greatest V12 road Ferrari's ever made and less weight and more power will make for an amazing experience.

17. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    About the name,hum,i think Ferrari need to have a product with the purpose to speack about the 599,just because sales level remains actually very low (and particulary here in Europe).That s why "gto" is a possible marketing name,even if the finality will be different today.458 is the attraction center,so with such a 599,Ferrari claim"don t forget the 599"!

18. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Don't forget the Novitec 599 -- 800 HP and 0 - 100 mph in 6.0 sec. A beast. And the black tail lights are cool.

19. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Not an original factory production and most, Ferrari dislike it!

20. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Maybe 599 GTB/C would be more appropiate, less blasphemous. But it doesn´t sell so well, of course.

21. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Where does it say that? I've never seen any statements from Ferrari saying anything, positive or negative, about any of the tuners. Not just Novitech.

I think it would be a shame to use the GTO name on it, but after they used the name "California" on a 2+2 8 cylinder, it wouldn't surprise me.

22. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Its only a "shame" if you haven't put a deposit down already--for those that have and are surely very excited by this news, there is little reason for any such pessimisum.

Someone please tell me who wouldn't like a true factory built "street" version of the 599xx?

If this car comes in like a detuned version of the 599xx, and is in a form able to be "driven on the street and raced at the track", ie, which both the 250 and 288 were, why would anyone begrudge "GTO"?

There hasn't been anything in the motoring world like it for many years and its been something that many have been saying is exactly what is needed to bring Ferrari back to its true mission--

I'll agree, Cali is marketing--and no, I'm not bashing it.

But a stripped down 675hp, 12 cyl, with a reworked suspension and faster gear box that is honestly able to be tracked hard or driven around town is not marketing.

Its fantastic :)

IMO, it'll be the best thing Ferrari's done since the F40, even possibly since the 365 GTB/4 (Competizone.)

And for good of Enzo's legacy, as far as I'm concerned, it can't come too soon.

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Stripped down in the case of the 599 might not be enough..the car is a 1800kgs beast..even with 200 kgs less it will still be a porker on the track.

24. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #124 Ferrarista3, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
    A a 599 weighs 1690kg with fluids.

If they remove 200kg for the "GTO" then it would weigh 1490kg.

25. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009

+1
    Ferrari has top brand recognition to any mfg. and is playing catch up with HP.
    So you take a bunch of check writers and put them in a near 700 HP 599 - set up Ferrari and you will have wealthy Viper like drivers running into walls.

IMO the Scud is lightweight and suits the dual purpose. I hope they go more towards the F1 innovations and apply them at will. The buyer / driver should have to qualify to own it.