Next California? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Next California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by churchy, Oct 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Interestingly I just read an article in the December, Car and driver about the 2015 Mustang,
    The article states the car will offer an engine code named VooDoo which will be a Flat plane Twin Turbocharged V8 which will be rated at between 550 and 600Hp... Sounds very much like what we are talking about (no I am not suggesting they are using the same engine) just very intriguing that an american manufacturer for the first time will be using a similar engine arrangement as Ferrari...
    THat mustang will a be pretty interesting car...

2. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Hi Larry, a noob here, is the flat plane indiginous to Ferrari ? and what is the difference between a flat and not flat?

3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Ferrari uses a 180 degree or flat crank shaft on its V8s (and V12s) so each bank is basically acting like an in depend 4 cylinder engine .. this creates a fast revving ear piercing high pitch engine..
    Most other V8s are a cross plane design where the lugs on the crank shaft are at 90 degree intervals which makes the engine act like 4 V2 engines and gives us the lumpy idle and sounds .kind of like a Vtwin motorcycle.. The cross plane has more low end torque where the flat plane creates more power at high rpm..
    Almost all v8s except Ferrari are cross plane.. even the Maserati V8s that ferrari builds are cross plane ..
    SO this is a radical departure for Ford to build a flat plane twin Turbo V8 for the up coming Mustang ....
    Every ferrari V8 built since the early 70s have been flat plane..
    Hope this explains it a little.

4. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Great Explanation, Thank you very much !

5. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I too am anxious to see what comes of that. I had heard rumors of flat plane, but did not hear that it will be TT. They are supposed to be doing some serious chassis work as well.

6. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    anybody know it will be private presentation of cali successor in Maranello?

7. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I have also heard V8, TT , 560 HP, from a independent source not from these boards. Sombebody should have a pic by now :) with more detail

8. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I think the image posted is pretty accurate from what I have heard as per my earlier posts. The TTV8 is now a given and I think it will be a great engine despite all our concerns,

9. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    it will be the same engine as in Maserati?

10. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Tim, i have not seen any images posted ? I have seen some leaked sketches from October but no real images of the car ?

11. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #186 Traveller, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With thanks to Qwertsnebir for the pic

I assume it will be based on the Maser.

Attached pic picks up the elements I understood to be included such as 458 style lights, F12 partial aero bridge, no side vents etc as per my earlier post
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Do you really think this is it? It looks like an artists rendering not as a real car.

13. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    It is an artist rendering. We have no actual pictures yet. However, it is a very nice rendering and if it is accurate, this car will be a huge hit!

14. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean it will be based on the Maser?

15. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The current new TTV8 in the Maserati

16. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    I heard the same,that would be a V8 TT engine with 550 HP

17. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim

18. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    Of course ... there will be one.

19. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP4WHfVeeXQ]2014 Maserati Quattroporte GTS Start Up, Exhaust, and In Depth Review - YouTube[/ame]

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I really like Maseratis and would own one or two if I had the garage space. The new QP looks beautiful with the exception of the interior which I feel could look more sumptuous but maybe that's an issue of customizing. The engineers seems to have localized the turbo noises to the engine compartment, letting the exhaust note define the sound of a running QP. This approach with proper sound insulation of the engine compartment, will likely guarantee any new turbocharged Fcar will retain the classic Fcar sounds. ;)

I do note the new QP has a regular central horn button in addition to the 10-2 o'clock thumb-activated ones like in the Ferrari's, which was what I felt is also needed in Fcars. The 10-2 o'clock buttons may look sexy but are just plainly impractical to use!

21. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    that rendition, if accurate, would be quite a nice evolution for the California IMO.

22. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    So does that mean cross plane or will it continue to be flat plane? I don't know why I worry about this. We will know in a few short months, but...

23. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That is more than I know!

24. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I do note the new QP has a regular central horn button in addition to the 10-2 o'clock thumb-activated ones like in the Ferrari's, which was what I felt is also needed in Fcars. The 10-2 o'clock buttons may look sexy but are just plainly impractical to use![/QUOTE]

My 2012 GTC Cab has the horn in the middle of my CF wheel. So that would not be new for Maserati, not sure for new calli

25. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGSUpUPwgeU]2014 TURBOCHARGED Ferrari California Prototype Sound! - YouTube[/ame]

Old video I know, probably already been posted. (this is the second video of the TT car testing, from this year. Not the first one from over a year back). I don' think the sound in the video is representative of the final car, they will no doubt have worked on exhaust tuning over the last and coming months.