Next stablemate for the Pista | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Next stablemate for the Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Dec 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If you want a fun car to drive regularly then I'd say F12/812 platform. Either checks a lot of boxes but they do lack in tech if that matters to you otherwise super fun to drive around. With the Pista and 720 this may work well for you.
    I'm still enjoying my F12 but have a GTS coming this year so I'll trade it then, no need to trade on a coupe beforehand.

GT2goneF and Thecadster like this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Im done with tech. To me id rather enjoy the car. Tech belongs in a Tesla- dont really care about it in a Ferrari.

IloveGT, Solid State, Coincid and 3 others like this.
  3. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    If you find an 812 with a spec that appeals to you, then just buy it !!

I won't bore you with the details that attracted me to my car, but in terms of an ownership experience:

- Every time I start the 812 it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, with its vicious cold-start bark
    - The power is smooth, yet savage, it rewards finesse, it punishes clumsiness
    - RWS makes the car so feel nimble, alive and obedient, you can feel a rhythm to the drive, it just all clicks, if that makes sense

Best thing, I get to wash it after every drive, as its winter here. This is also great fun for me :D

....should add that SF90 Spider may be worth a look in 2022. New dimension in motoring, time to work out some of the wrinkles and open top. Thats my plan at least.

wrs, GT2goneF, SoCal to az and 3 others like this.
  4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Yeah, our phones do a lot of this for us these days. Go drive an 812 and see what you think. Lots of good preowned ones out there at nice discounts from new.

5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I haven't missed my 488 Spider a bit...................

812 will look great in a showcase garage too. I wish I had a showcase garage. We are working on improving ours, cabinets and floor to come next month but it's still a crappy two car cramped garage.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Finlander, of2worlds, LVP488 and 7 others like this.
  6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Good luck trying to achieve that even with PS.

7. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Then what is a more realistic 0-62 time run in seconds?

8. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This is a choice you really can't get wrong! I'd go SF90.....

9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Not that I’m opposed to the thought but why do you say? You are the first person that picked sf90

10. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I haven't read all replies to this so apologies if this is point already made...

Nicely optioned 812 is about 350K and every dealer in US has several in showroom - SF-90 is a wait game and be prepared to tolerate dealer BS, and to pay 200K more.

Also, we have a known entity in 812. IMO it is the greatest car ever made (I have not driven the TdF but my opinion probably wouldn't change), or at least the greatest car I've ever owned. The SF-90 is an unknown entity.

vonbeeler, wrs, italiafan and 3 others like this.
  11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Curious why not, I don’t think you can lose in the TDF... exhilarating car that stimulates all senses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gzachary likes this.
  12. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Very nice job with the garage. Gorgeous car. You don't have to sell it to me. I am in at hello!.

The garage will be my next project. Love the color combination and the stripe contrast with the car. Nicely done!

wrs likes this.
  13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    There's a bunch there. You are rotating stock and want to know between the 812 and SF90. Because of the stock rotation, you will likely not keep the net choice. The 812 realistically is the fastest depreciating Ferrari there is right now and in a major way. Conversely, the SF90 will cost hundreds of K more and will have a premium for say 1.5 years then it will drop like lead when the next hybrid is rumored. Its is also hypercar fast but its not pretty and has no sound. For those reasons, I would not recommend either but the SF90 will be the better buy if purchased new and flipped correctly.

GT2goneF likes this.
  14. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    (All of the below is totally subjective and IMO)....
    Speaking of sound comparison as someone who owns a 458, Pista, 812, TdF, and have my F8 spider here next week (test drove it for 30 minutes) and heard an SF90 yesterday with an SF90 inbound, I would say the SF90 has the excitement range of sound that the Pista has. The F8 does not. But the SF90 is in the Pista zone. It is not “no” sound.

Perhaps the factory didn’t want or just didn’t get to bump the F8 sound into the Pista sound envelope as an explicit model differentiator. A great driver who is a pro racer had the F8 at Daytona a month ago at 190mph on the bank and said it was rock solid.

By far, my TdF has the best sound. It is like the untamed beast meets incredible engineering. I posted a review comparing both the 812 and the TDF. The highpoint for sound in my F cars.

The 812 sound....more harmonized and more refined. Just sounds. Amazing. But it doesn’t make all cells in your body vibrate like the TdF. Even though it’s a large displacement, high rev, high horsepower engine like the TDF, once I heard the TdF, all memories F1 flooded my brain. The 812 sounds great. You can hear the precision engineering. Inside the car, it’s actually fairly quiet in the car in 7th gear for a phone call. The TDF....not as much. Just much lighter and has much less material that is sound deadening that is in the 812. I believe that is why the 812 sounds way better to me with the windows down. I am curious to know if the sound is different hearing the SF90 from inside versus outside.

When I test drove the F8 spider for 30 minutes, it felt like the design/brand point was meant to be separate than the Pista. Almost seemed like a place to stop exhaust development to not push sound quality to keep the difference between the Pista as well as not push emissions.

The SF90......same type and volume of sound like the Pista. I was positively surprised. It is not TdF sound and I think those sound days are over. It is not the F8. It is pretty cool and surprised me as much in sound as the Pista.

Now...I am not going to get into the 458 sound saga. The 458 is not in the hypercar performance like these cars now. I still like the total Pista experience more. And yes, I still have my 458 because it is fun.

If the SF90 shows what a first hybrid car can sound like, it’s a very good sign for future Ferrari hybrids. At the same time, enjoy the. 812 sound. It’s great. Pick the SF90 if you want the newest driving experience ever. Pick the 812 if you want the best implementation of V12 production of the existing driving experience . Curiosity about the new or loving the current.

All IMO

RoadRonin, GT2goneF, IloveGT and 2 others like this.
  15. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    If he buys a 5k mile TDF and puts 10k miles on it... probably not a wise move. 812 already depreciated decently at this point.

GT2goneF and Gh21631 like this.
  16. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I was able to get 3.2 but I think I could get 3 if I practiced. That was on a 75F day with properly warm tires and not too hot weather. I made 3 1/4 mile runs back to back to back. I haven't practiced that much but I am sure that if I adjust the air in the tires that will help too.

Art138 likes this.
  17. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Fastest depreciating Ferrari? Faster depreciation than a Lusso?

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Basically this. I want to drive the car. Not be worried about mileage, depreciation, door dings etc.

GT2goneF likes this.
  19. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Going back to your original question, and also Post#65, if you don't want to be worried about mileage, door dings, depreciation etc. 812 is the better option.

The SF-90 is going to be a nightmare to get. It may be a phenomenal car but you probably don't want to be in the lead group of guys getting it. Besides, you already have and keeping the Pista.

GT2goneF likes this.
  20. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Had an 812, TDF and Lusso and had to make room in the garage.
    I sold the 812. The TDF is more of a collection Ferrari. The Lusso is so practical it’s my daily driver. The 812 was a great Ferrari but it fell in the middle of the other two V12’s and I couldn’t part with the TDF and I actually need the Lusso so the 812 lost out.

I would advise buying a TDF with some mileage if you intend to drive it, as I do. It’s a keeper!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Yes. Someone here posted his new purchase of an 812 yesterday. If that sticker was over $425k then there's a potential loss of 75k in one day. When the 812 VS and 812 VS Aperta come out soon the other shoe drops. Its a great car in many respects but the OP was looking for the 'best buy' and it ain't it IMO. Did not really consider a Lusso but it has probably already taken a bigger plunge. You must buy these cars for the enjoyment and not concern yourself with cost.

22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Curious how the advice always reverts back to depreciation inspite of the fact that you have been consistent in expressing that depreciation is not a significant concern. With the stellar cars you already own, why would you add another based on valuation.

23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Appreciate your post. The OP was comparing the 812 to the SF90. Compared to my F12 and your V12s IMO its fair (but not really kind) to say the SF90 has no sound. I have no interest in the car personally so have not sought company with the car. My references are the posted videos to date including the release behind the scenes video where the tires made more sound than the turbo electric engine. I'm sure the SF90 will look and sound much better than pictures or video but so do the NA V12s who capture the best production Ferrari sound IMO.

gzachary likes this.
  24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I agree, and would submit the following: the 812 is so spectacular, and otherworldly, that the deprecation, whether it continues at a high rate or slows down, is largely irrelevant. I waited almost two years for my relatively high spec $470,367MSRP 812, and I have had it now for over 18 months. Even though I understand that I have “lost” at least $100,000+ during my ownership period, I have not given a moments thought to that reality. I treat it like a fairly expensive vacation, which every time I am behind the wheel, I feel transported to a different place and time.

Great examples of the 812 can be had in the mid-$350 or less. Whether during the next three years, that value goes does down $50,000 or $150,000, it won’t matter, as the owner will have received tremendous joy and enjoyment along the way.

RoadRonin, Adamas, Napoli and 3 others like this.
  25. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Agreed, though I guess if you bought a TDF at 750 maybe it’s not worth less than 550 if you have 15-20k miles on it? Perhaps similar hit, though I hadn’t been thinking about it that way. I haven’t seen any high mileage TDF for sale to confirm.

To the original question: 812 is incredible and you will not be disappointed. It complements the Pista quite well as compared to SF90

Thecadster likes this.