Next week in Vegas? | FerrariChat

Next week in Vegas?

Discussion in 'Las Vegas' started by dstacy, Mar 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I know my questions are kind of vague but I'm hoping someone local will understand.

I'm flying in next week to meet my son who will fly in from the west coast. We'll spend 2 nights. I booked a 2 bedroom suite (1,650 square feet) at the Mirage so we could have separate bedrooms & bathrooms yet have a common area (living room) and a place for a private meal (dining room). Our objective is to spend some quiet time together so we can talk uninterrupted and not in public, hence the room choice. We're not going to have bad or heated conversations, in fact just the opposite. We just don't get a chance to be together alone without the wives very often and are looking forward to "men talk" if that makes sense.

So my questions are..is there something wrong with my hotel choice? Something happening next week we should go do or see if we need a break? What am I missing?

2. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Based on your central location you'll be just fine, lots to see and do all around you. Hopefully you'll have a strip view so you can see the volcano at night, quite nice. Enjoy your relaxed stay, the Mirage is a nice hotel too.

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    #3 joker57676, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    It's a decent hotel; nothing wrong with it. There certainly are nicer hotels, but the Mirage is fine for an older property. I work too many hours to know what's really going on it he city, but I can check around if you give me some hints about what you'd be into. What do you want to eat? Go out? In-room private chef? Shows?

IMO, the best "man's" meal in town is Jose Andres' Bazaar Meats in the SLS. I've been there a number of times, and each time is epic.

Mark

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    We have to go there sometime. I always wanted to go!

And... I can walk to it! :)

5. 488inVegas

488inVegas Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    Las Vegas / Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Edward
    The Mirage was Steve Wynn's first major resort on the Strip and really set the standard for many other luxury resorts. When it comes to suites in the larger resorts they are all pretty well kept as they want to keep their gamblers coming back. You're in a great location with lots to do (shopping, dinning and shows within walking distance). Let me know if you need any dinner recommendations....we have so many choices. Any of the Cirque shows are great and we typically have concerts almost every night of the week. Mirage has a couple of good restaurants as well as the Cirque Beatles show and Treasure Island which is located on the same property has the Cirque Show Mystere. Welcome to Las Vegas!

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thank you all for the replies. No warnings, or comments of "you screwed up" so that is good to hear.

Apparently the view from the suite is pretty good so we'll have good scenery. There is a full bar in the room with an ice maker. I think we'll likely order room service for breakfast, maybe bloody Mary's by the pool; who knows. Probably not leave the hotel for lunch, and go out to dinner each night. I'd sure take a few suggestions for a good Italian restaurant and a good steakhouse if you're willing.

It'll be good to spend some one on one time together. There will be a few interesting conversations. One of the items on my agenda is to hand him copies of our Wills which name him, and not his sisters, as executor and majority heir. THAT ought to be an interesting hour or so.

7. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    #7 joker57676, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Definitely. Let's set a date. I love that place.

If Bazaar Meats mentioned above is a no-go for steak, then STK, SW Steakhouse, Craftsteak, Stripsteak, or Old Homestead are all great. However, Bazaar Meats is a pretty special place for a memorable meal. Other than Waygu "shashimi," I've never even order a steak there. We usually order a bunch of small plates or let the waiter put a menu together (which is what I recommend).

For Italian, the best place in town, IMO, in Costa Di Mare. Other great places include Lago, Scarpetta, Roa's and Sinatra's. If you want an old school Vegas feel, Ferraro's and Piero's are good. If you want, also I have a couple of good recommendations if you have any desire to travel away from the strip as well.

8. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Hi Dave. I agree with what the local friends here have posted. Weather is usually terrific in late March and April (we'll be out full first week April). The Beatle's Love show at Mirage is terrific (don't pay full price; lots of discount tickets available). When you check in just ask if your suite has a view and if it doesn't ask for one that does. Have a great time.

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Il Mulino upstairs at Caesars Forum great Italian also.

10. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I sure hope your daughters don't read Fchat :D

As for steak, Jean-George at Aria is quite good and if you want that old school Vegas vibe, Hugo's Cellar at Four Queens or Capo's on Sahara are great spots.

11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    <chuckle>

12. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott

Just tried it last weekend, definitely a place the wife and I will go back to.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I have never been there but I am told the steakhouse at Circus Circus (of all places) is first rate.

I have to get over the Lucky Dragon and check out authentic Chinese. Apparently this hotel is doing well catering only to Chinese. They are adding new high roller areas to the main floor due to demand. Most appear to be coming from the Bay area and Canada.

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I didn't know it was still there. I was there years ago, back then it was indeed very nice.

15. 488inVegas

488inVegas Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    Las Vegas / Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Edward
    The Steak House at Circus Circus is still there and rated very highly. In my opinion, there many better steakhouses to choose from. Have fun!

16. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    The Aria is gorgeous, my wife and I stayed there in December for our anniversary. I highly recommend it.

17. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I try to meet fchatters when I travel and have formed some great friendships over the years. If any of you want to meet for a martini or something around 5pm on Tuesday shoot me a PM.

18. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Dave are you there week of March 27 or April 3? We arrive April 1 for a week. You'll get 20 different answers to your query about best steak house. I used to be active on a wine and food board and several guys there loved the Circus Circus joint...you just have to close your eyes going in and out. IIRC, Hugo's downtown requires a jacket...at least it did couple of years ago last time I was in. I love the Four Queens. For an off the strip Italian experience, I like Ferraro's. Mayor, Janet and I are going to the Lucky Dragon and we'll report...did not get up there over Xmas.

19. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'll be there Tuesday the 28th.

20. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    How did your week turn out Dave. Some devilish weather in LAS yesterday

21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    We tried to fly out yesterday; no go.
    It was wicked!

22. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Man yesterday was crazy! I had a Safety Summit Meeting yesterday and I took my car, when I came out I couldn't believe the weather! My car is still sitting in Valet, I had my wife pick me up.

23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #23 dstacy, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Last time I had a steak was at Lawry's. Is it still there ?

25. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Doesn't look too good. Hopefully you didn't pay that much for it. I do know they keep their best rooms for the high rollers that bring in large markers. If you don't play and get rated it's always going to be a challenge getting the best anywhere on the strip.