News

NHL 2019-20 season

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TheMayor, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I just don't think the playoffs will happen this season. With the chance looking more and more doubtful, are we ready to proclaim the Boston Bruins as the NHL champs for 2019-2020? They have a 6-point lead over the next best team (the Blues) and were the only team that had lost 15 or fewer games.

2. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC and Hershey PA
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Jim. I don't see any names getting etched onto the Cup for 2019-2020.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The playoff will happen. The NHL cannot survive without the TV revenue. This is their biggest draw of the year. Also the fans are demanding it.

They will work it out. But my feeling is both seasons will run into one another probably in November and next season will finish in mid summer.

4. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC and Hershey PA
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Bob. Bet you a dollar they just give up on 2019-20 season. I hope you are right, though.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #180 TheMayor, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
    I saw an interview today with an ex-player and he said the players want to come back because they need the money and they know the league needs the money. To some degree, the players feel they need to support the league's survival for their own benefit long term.

If the players and the management are in the same direction it will happen somehow. Even if they have to play and live in a hotel in another city for 2 months he said. Its not unusual for an NHL player to do that if they are traded in a season. If they can play through the Stanley Cup they know the league will get the biggest chunk of their TV money even if fan attendance is zero. Luckily they played most of the season already. So its just the playoffs needed to complete almost a full season. But they need The Cup and all the players want to win the Cup.

The NBA is in a similar situation. If they can make the playoffs this year it wasn't such a big loss in revenue.

The problem with Baseball is trying to get the players to agree with the shortened season and salary cut because its only 80 games and there will be no fans. Baseball players have to take a major cut and they won't like it one bit. So I expect MLB to be the hardest to restart because the players and management don't agree. And they might play an entire season without one fan in the stadium. The Dodgers draw over 3 million each year. That's a huge chunk of missing change for a team with the largest salary in the game.

The NFL is really about TV revenue so they don't mind playing without fans. And starting in September isn't as big a deal. For some teams, they are already "socially distancing" with few fans attending anyway with or without restrictions

College ball though is going to take a huge hit if there are no fans in the stands for the entire season. That is how they make their money.

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    NHL closing in on plan to resume season in July

https://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey/story/2020-05-21/nhl-closing-in-on-plan-to-resume-season-in-july-kings-ducks-out

The NHL is zeroing in on a return-to-play plan that would skip the remainder of the regular season and open with a 24-team playoff format played out in two hub cities without fans in the stands. That would freeze out the Ducks and the Kings, who ranked 27th and 28th, respectively, among the league’s 31 teams when Commissioner Gary Bettman paused the season on March 12.

The top four teams in the West and the East based on points percentage would play three games against each other within their respective conferences to recalculate each team’s playoff seeding. Teams ranked fifth through 12th would play a best-of-five playoff round, with 5 vs. 12, 6 vs. 11, 7 vs. 10 and 8 vs. 9 within each conference.

Details of the probable plan were disclosed by people familiar with the discussions but not authorized to speak publicly about them.

The four winners would face the top four teams in a best-of-seven round. All subsequent rounds would be best-of-seven. The Stanley Cup Final would take place in early to mid-September, delaying the start of the 2020-21 season.

The hub cities have not been announced, and as many as six or seven sites are believed to still be under consideration. Vancouver, Toronto and Edmonton have made bids to be host cities in Canada; it’s expected the NHL will have one Canadian hub in deference to its Canadian heritage and because those cities have a large number of rinks available for games and practices as well as enough hotel rooms to house everyone.

Las Vegas has been mentioned as a front-runner to host games in the U.S., but Columbus, Ohio, and St. Paul, Minn., also offer rinks and amenities that would be suitable.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If they're going to play in July, they need to find rinks that have real good air-conditioning!

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think this is one of the reasons they are looking at Vegas. It has the most modern ice making and AC system in the league. And there are plenty of hotels to put up the teams. And T- mobile is only used for Hockey so its easy to dedicate 100% of the time between July and September to the NHL.

I think the one problem may be practice ICE but there, aside from the VGK practice facility in Summerlin. There are 2 other Ice rinks around town but you won't have the facilities. They may all have to share one practice arena.

But you have to wonder if Vegas was chosen that the Golden Knights players might have an advantage living in their own homes vs other players living in Hotels in a place like Vegas where it can be pretty distracting.

In any event, I'm sure NHL will play for the cup this year one way or the other. Given the break, any team who gets hot can win it.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Frankly, I think that 24 teams is too many; 12 or 16 would make more sense with a tight schedule. I think a team lower than that is highly unlikely to win, anyway.

10. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 13, 2009
    Bat Country
    Full Name:
    Central Scrutinizer

TheMayor likes this.
  11. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 13, 2009
    Bat Country
    Full Name:
    Central Scrutinizer

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    JV's89 likes this.
  13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If they start a junior team, will it be called the Bronze Knights? :D

TheMayor likes this.
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    One person on Social media said they should be the Battle Axes! LOL!!

Also the Silver Squires