Nice ride, so this may cause considerable offence... Stanceworks 308 GTBi (Honda K24 Swap) | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Nice ride, so this may cause considerable offence... Stanceworks 308 GTBi (Honda K24 Swap)

Discussion in '308/328' started by JC Andruet, Jan 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    Thanks for watching and for the kind words.

Perhaps, from my end, it's hard to see my content the same way you guys do. Only I am privy to the thoughts in my head, and it's hard to keep track of what gets said on camera, off camera, what makes the cut, what doesn't.
    I have plenty to admire about the 308. After all, I spent my hard earned money on one, and have, as you pointed out, wanted one for many, many years (with respect to how many I've been around, at least.)
    I tried to touch upon, in an early post, that we all share a love for these cars. That love may be founded on different things, and as a result I may be open to criticizing things others would not, but just because more of the criticisms are vocalized than the praises doesn't mean the praises aren't there.

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying and watching.

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I think too the problem you are experiencing here is how many of us are frustrated by the bad rap these wonderful cars perpetually get. They really are unfairly stigmatized in terms of their upkeep cost, reliability etc., when if fact their pistons go up and down and their wheels go 'round and 'round just like any other car. The folks here who have worked on their cars know that they are no different, heck much better quality, than many other antique cars. Yeah, we all moan about the weight and the '70s level horsepower, but people just accept these things in other marques. A Ferrari has a mystique surrounding it which raises expectations.

The 308 is in a awkward place in the Ferrari pantheon too. For the monied Ferrari owners, they are yesterday's boring news. For ordinary car hobbyists, they are too expensive to mess with. You are unique in your skill and ability to buy and modify a 308.

M.Burroughs likes this.
  3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #328 Meister, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    I started to read this thread, then started to skim, then jumped to the end....;) After being here 21 years threads and or projects about taking the engine out of a "ferrari" are usually met with disdain, disregard and similar negative thoughts. As long time owner (308 for 15 years) its a cool car but at the end of the day its just a car. Is not made of gold or Enzo's ashes and while pretty sporty at the time its still 1970's/80's technology. The 308 is one of the most beautiful cars ever (not just ferraris) and if money were no object I'd still have one in the garage. 308's have been subjected to Chevy engine conversion, pontiac v6 conversions, I think I've seen an electric one too, hell Bob Norwood stretched a 308, slammed a 454 in it and ran in at Bonneville. That being said when a thread comes up about someone shoehorning/hacking up a 308 to install a 400i V12 its Enzos second coming....
    At the end of the day your builds look extremely well done, well thought out, well engineered and as someone who builds things myself I love to see someone doing something most others cant either do (physically) or even mentally comprehend. Yeah its a ferrari, yeah its a slightly rare model/version of what many non owners and half educated outsiders consider a low point in performance, but its also just a car thats now a fun out of the box project...kudos and good luck

Schultz, spirot and M.Burroughs like this.
  4. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    The series is pretty good. I have been watching since it popped up in my YouTube steam. I have enjoyed listening to your anticipation that certain things on the 308 will be challenging only to realize that for the most part the car is easy to work on. Sure I would have loved a modern Fcar engine be dropped in but at least it isn’t another LS swap. More importantly thanks for taking the time in the disassembly to show how things work on the 308, rather than just tearing them out and tossing. Also, the focus on weight reduction is very interesting to those of us that mod our 308s. I think there is value here for any 308 owner at least from a disassembly perspective. I expect to cringe a bit as this car goes back together but you gave fair warning... Shashi

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    There is a book about the Ferrari factory in pictures that shows a bunch of disgarded Ferrari 308 shells and BB shells behind one of the buildings. they show one prototype with Dino 246 /. Dino 308 wheels, and horizontal badge indents... clearly showing dino bading on the 308 ... however I think the time frame is in the early 70's - like 72-73. By that time Fiat was firmly in control of the factory road car production and they did not want the Dino brand ... at the time thougth was to keep it a Fiat brand for higher end Fiats to fight Alfa .... but that went away as well. Franco Gozzi talks about that in his book. Mr. Ferrari was happy that his sons name was no longer being used .... typicaly and un like many want to think of Mr. Ferrari ... he was happy with more money in the bank thinking he had got one over on the Turiniese Fiat - Angelli's.

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

You are right. the car is very heavy for the HP it produces. and the weight is also a handling issue considering the age / time frame of the vehicle. those who have driving a stock 308 on track or aggressively on mountain / country roads will know all of which you are talking about. The first US injected cars were even more slow due to emissions regs. finally by the 308 QV and 328 the cars were a bit faster but still not screamers. and they were still heavy. even the 288 GTO is heavish... and when you push that car it exhibits the same roll issues a regular 308 does.... only the thresholds are much higher. However there are few if any other cars that are as iconic as the 308 shape. there are probably only 20 other cars that are so recognizable with no badging like the 308. you always know its a Ferrari.

7. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Good work, and as others have said, it's good to see you removing the various parts and explaining how they came out.
    Once again, many thanks for listing the weight of everything you've removed Mike, it's greatly appreciated, but not only that, it's good to see real weights, rather than internet guesstimates.

I was hoping/thinking the OE seats would be heavier and thus be an easy chunk of weight for you to lose, but unlike modern cars laden with multiple motors, heating elements and airbags, they 308 items are pretty lightweight to start off with.

If I can ask another weight related favour ? When you remove the front and rear suspension wishbones and uprights, can you weigh them along with the hubs/rotors and calipers ?

8. Mike Burroughs

Jul 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael Burroughs
    I'm glad you're enjoying it!

I'll definitely weigh those parts for you. I'll update the thread soon with some more weights.

9. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Good work Mike, but 30lbs for that loom !! Man alive, that's some heavy Italian wiring !! Blower assembly not too heavy, but 40lbs combined with the loom. It all adds up.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well speaking only for me....

The early cars were different.

Yours is/was a 1979, and even at that point, after 1977 "the sun was setting, quickly like a winter day.

When I run my car a few blocks up and down the parkway, for fuel and to loosen it up, there's NO Porsche short of a race variant, that turns heads, and ears and makes it into a cell phone or two. So, very much like you hear the 246 enshrined for "driving balance" whatever the fu ck that is, the 308GTB NON CAT cabred version has it, in spades..

The rest, sure "more or less mainly less" carry the majic, but the huge loyalty you see to the Ferrari brand was "we drove the same thing the F1 drivers did" when they left to go home.

As to Honda, those of us the know the Origin Story of the brand, respect it, a F1 rival and a worthy opponent even now.

Back to the panhandlers, young boys and the rare lady that notices, sure, the respect comes from the horse on the hood.
    For me it's the engine, the sound....it's well a foot lower than a rival Corvette, as a Pontiac guy I'm rather glad to think about the steel.
    You could easily die in this car, losing control on the streets...

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  12. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Hi Mike, good to see you're making progress with the motor install now.
    I don't think you reported the weight of these items ? If you have, my apologies, if not, could you let us have the weights of the following components you've removed please ? :

Front brake calipers.
    Front brake rotors (17lbs each I think)
    Front hubs.
    Front upper wishbone,
    Front lower wishbone
    Front suspension upright with steering arm (both parts forged or cast steel)

Rear brake calipers
    Rear brake rotors
    Rear hubs
    Rear upper wishbone
    Rear lower wishbone
    Rear suspension upright (aluminium alloy ?)

Many thanks.

13. siegrisd

siegrisd Rookie

Nov 22, 2006
    Castle Pines, CO
    Full Name:
    Dan Siegrist
    Hi, Mike! I apologize if this has already been brought up, but, please look up the user "matumorales" here on F-Chat. He's resurrecting a 308 that is in really, really poor shape and I'm sure he'd be incredibly grateful for anything you could send him to help. 'Looking forward to seeing your progress on YT.

Cheers.

BigTex and Brian A like this.
  14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    That is a GREAT idea. Hopefully there is some synergy.

Here is a link to Daniel's thread:
    Chassis 37313 Resurrection - 308 GTBi

siegrisd likes this.
  15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey Mike, are you going to be at your shop tomorrow Monday?

16. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    I have these weights written down, I'll find my paper and post the ones I have so far!

17. dhalter

dhalter Karting

Aug 2, 2009
    New York
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    It's HIS car. I don't care if he turns it into a daybed for his kid!!!!

18. newto308

newto308 Karting

Mar 20, 2007
    McLean, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I really like that channel early on when he was cutting and welding the new frame supports and fitting the K24. It appears the channel has gotten more popular and the flagrant advertisements of tools and sponsors have drifted in. At the same time, each episode has progressively less content and is getting focused on paint color, body flare kit ($17K worth) and wheels. I don't care for the discussion on eye candy. I'm hoping he gets back to hard engineering aspects with the suspension and custom control arm fabrication.

Du_Man likes this.
  19. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Although I don't agree with everything he does, I am in awe of his technical mechanical abilities. I wish I could do stuff like that ... and with such self-confidence.

M.Burroughs likes this.
  20. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    $17k for flares?!?! What kind?

21. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Browsed this thread a little, as well as took a peek at the youtube channel. It's all clickbait.

I mean - sure, it was a GTBi, and sure, the power plant is 70's technology. But - if you wanted to turn a Ferrari 308 into a reliable go fast machine - then sell it and buy a reliable go fast machine. Too late now - it's hacked up and the engine is gone.

The more fun to watch build is the guys at Bad Obsession Motorsports "Project Binky" - making the 4WD Mini with the turbocharged Celica drivetrain.

ForzaV12 and MFlanagan like this.
  22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

I would argue that the 308/ 328 is quickly becoming the Porsche 356 of the Ferrari world. it has its own cult following, and they are plentiful, and easy to live with and just cool cars to drive and own. No 356 Owner bemoans that they cant keep up with a new 911... and the new Porsche Owners look at 356's now as a part of Porsche history and art. which drives up prices collectability and desireablity. the 308 in 20 years will be well over $100k for a beater version ...

BJK, Nuvolari, FrannyB and 3 others like this.
  23. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Nailed it!!!

Du_Man likes this.
  24. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    ........but there will be a kid's daybed for 30K in twenty years

25. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Is it really needed to pee on his thread? and talk about some other youtube guys? He's not exactly cutting up a 62 GTO, or making a fiero into a 308... From what i have seen he's done some really cool work, its interesting and I like when people get into the cars and show you what is really there. As I'd never have the balls or skill to do this. Truth be told I'd keep a Ferrari engine and go the NFF route.

BJK likes this.