Nice work Joolia Gillard..... | Page 40 | FerrariChat

Nice work Joolia Gillard.....

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Scaramouche, Jun 23, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    In every 1st world country, the costs of politician's promises plus the expectations of welfare recipients exceed existing tax revenue, so new taxes are needed and a "carbon tax" is easier to sell because who doesn't want to save the planet?

Of course, no amount of carbon tax will reduce emissions from China, India and other emerging countries, so the outcome for human civilisation remains the same, regardless of where you are on the doom & gloom scale.

As someone wrote the other day, to hold atmospheric CO2 where it is now, 80% of the world's currently identified fossil fuel resources would have to stay in the ground - and that is simply not going to happen.

2. kongman

kongman F1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006
    brisvegas south
    Full Name:
    mr p
    bit sad she has to resort to this to get us to like her ....

3. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Its not working for me or anyone I know.

4. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
  5. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    correct, but who is listening ?

6. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  7. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    #982 Dazzling, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
    Well John you are certainly entitled to that opinion, but it isnt supported by the majority of scientific evidence, hence the link above.

8. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    gee I'm glad I don't have kids....I can drive my cars and die without having a guilty conscience!

9. FazzerPorscheman

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    So are we. :)

10. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Why?? Just because you know they'd have to live off welfare like I do??

11. FazzerPorscheman

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Child Endowment?

12. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Don't be disgusting!

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This is 100% my view also, and what I was taught at school, ie. cyclic temperature changes of our planet.

BUT I can see no wrong in us chasing more self sufficient energy sources. This can only be a good thing. I just wish it was not sold on media hype and panic.

What this panic does is actually cause the opposite and I can already see this with my kids (some in their twentys) and with all the rubbish that other kids drop around where we live. Basically they are so sick and tired of hearing about environmental issues they are rebelling against it. For example: My elder son had a problem with his car and I was able to solve it by bypassing the fuel tank fume extraction device (not sure of the correct name) and he was more than happy because he could not give a ***** about the environment. This is from a person that 8 or so years ago used to argue against me that motorracing is disgusting and ruining the planet. Thus the media and panic brigade and turned many of Gen Y into "I don't care anymore, just please stop talking about it" generation. Just like we grew up blasé about a potential nuclear war.
    Pete

14. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    George Carlin on global warming, puts a perspective on it. The planet is fine.

Note NSFW - contains swearing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0aFPXr4n4[/ame]

M

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I would like us to stop reducing the number of trees though. IMO every year there should be more trees planted than felled ...
    Pete

16. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    What a joke Fairfax and ABC are - hopelessly biased to Labor party.

New Newspoll out today, a poor result for Gillard & Labor. Covered in most media outlets, EXCEPT Fairfax and the ABC. Primary vote back to 32%.

No mention at all on Fairfax website, ABC radio news only started running it this afternoon after Gillard made a statement responding to the poll.

Fairfax can be as twisted as they like - they're a commercial operation and know how to appeal to their target market.

But the 78% of the population who don't vote Labor pay for the ABC, yet don't receive an impartial, honest news service.

17. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Don't worry Ian, they won't get in again.

Bad part is we have to wait another year. :(

18. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    How to start each day with a positive outlook

Open a new file in your computer.
    Name it "Julia Gillard".
    Send it to the Recycle Bin.
    Empty the Recycle Bin.
    Your PC will ask you. "Do you really want to get rid of Julia Gillard?"
    Firmly Click "Yes."
    Feel better?

Tomorrow we'll do Wayne Swan!

19. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    When do they go?

20. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    The world's greatest treasurer!!!........??
    So how did he win this crown,and the competiton was.............
    The treasurer of Greece,Spain,italy?
    That"s like saying "I'm a good fighter" because you just rolled a drunk in an ally!
    The "Cream of the crap"

Imagine him running his own business!
    He'd last as long as fart in a fan factory.

21. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    #996 Dazzling, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012

Is climate change real or not?....who cares? This is actually a risk managment exercise

http://www.youtube.com.au/watch?v=zORv8wwiadQ

22. 916senna

916senna Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I felt better just reading that. It gave me hope. I can have a file for Julia, 1 for swannie, 1 for shorten, 1 for Wong, 1 for Rudd & 1 for each and everyone of the useless, dishonest, wealth destroying bastards called greens. But I'll do each of them every day thanks!

23. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    His argument is fundamentally flawed... he missed the outcome option of "all efforts expended but the climate still changed" and the input option of "couldn't get China, India, and the US to participate".

In the output case that climate change cannot be stopped the funds would have been better spend preparing for that change rather than trying to prevent it...

In the case of the failed input the countries that did spend all their money lose whether anything happens or not... so they are wasting their money - which could be put to much better use preparing for change...

:)

24. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Just because China doesn't sign up to 'feel good' forums doesn't mean they're not doing anything - in fact they're miles ahead of everyone else. Do some research and you'll find they already have 12% of electricity from renewables, a huge wholesale carbon tax (levied differentially on local and foreign producers), low carbon footprint per person and nation-wide, and more solar panles than you thought existed! Like many matters - others talk, China just 'does'.

25. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve

You have some good points so take China out of my comment... the rest of it still stands :)

As for China they are building lots of things... they also burn truck loads of coal (which is good because I mine coal from time to time ;))... they are building nuclear power stations (which I also thinkg is very good), in most things they have a long term view - a very good thing.

On the other hand a low carbon footprint per person is easy when you have 1.3b... with half of them living in the country with virtually no carbon footprint...