Nice work Joolia Gillard..... | Page 51 | FerrariChat

Nice work Joolia Gillard.....

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Scaramouche, Jun 23, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Unbelievable amount of CO2 coming from China and India compared to what we pump out.

Carbon tax..........pffft!!

2. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Problem is the lack of honesty in almost all public discourse on this issue. To say that it won't make the slightest difference is certainly not true in an holistic sense, I have no doubt that our actions speak, I think we can be influential and I think our transition to a low carbon economy can be ecomically beneficial for the majority of Australian businesses (particularly the service sector, but there are opportunites in many other areas as well).

But anyone that implies that Australia's own emissions savings will make any difference in a literal sense (as opposed to a political or consulting/product/academic contribution) to the worlds CO2 levels is being disingenuous....btw I do not see that claim in the word "tackle".

3. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Quite true.

And the most dishonest claim is that global warming (or is that now climate change?) is caused by human activity.

4. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Dishonest? The evidence I am afraid doesn't agree with you and you are entitled to your opinion...but dishonesty re the claims???

Scientific opinion on climate change - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FYI.....both sides of politics believe in the science, so are they both being dishonest (re the science, not their manipulation of the climate change debate....which was my original point)?

Opposition environment spokesman Greg Hunt told ABC News Online that Mr Abbott accepts the science on climate change.

"Tony Abbott has repeatedly said he accepts the science of climate change and that humans contribute to global warming," Mr Hunt said.

Colleagues defend Abbott's climate change stance - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

5. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The only reason Abbott "accepts the evidence of global warming" is because he knows that in the current political climate he has to pretend that he does.

The issue isn't whether or not climate change is happening. It is.
    The issue is whether we are causing it, and whether we can influence it.
    We aren't, and we can't.

And there is most certainly not a universal view amongst the scientific community that the science of global warming is done and dusted. Maybe it is amongst the Tim Flannerys of the world, but even I've got more weather / climate qualifications than he has, and that's not saying much!

Having said that, I think as individuals we should be doing all we can to lead lives which are energy efficient, and place the least burden on the planet as possible. That's just common sense.

I love watching my rabid green-voting friends squirm when I point out how my impact on the planet is far less than theirs is, despite the fact I don't believe their global warming crap.

As usual with these types, it's more "do as I say" than "do as I do".

6. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    #1256 Dazzling, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
    Does he? I'm not sure he even has an opinion :confused:. In any case there is no excuse for it and supports the view I originally expressed above.

Wiki says 90% but they are being very generous, Its about as universal as you can get in the world of consensus amongst the scientific community.

Back in 2005 (which is a loooong time ago in Internet time), Naomi Oreskes published a famous paper in Science titled "Beyond the Ivory Tower: The Scientific Consensus on Climate Change". It's a meta-study that looked at 928 scientific papers between 1993 and 2003 and concluded that, despite what the media often implied, there was a very strong consensus among scientists about climate change, with none of the papers disagreeing with consensus position.

Fast-forward to the present, and James Lawrence Powell has done a similar meta-study, but including a lot more peer-reviewed papers (thousands have been published since 2003).

What did he find? Well, out of 13,950 scientific papers published between 1 January 1991 and 9 November 2012, he found 24, or 0.17%, or 1 in 581, that clearly reject global warming or endorse a cause other than CO2 emissions for observed warming. That last part is important, as CO2 is central to the mainstream scientific view on global warming.

"If one thing we can be certain: had any of these articles presented the magic bullet that falsifies human-caused global warming, that article would be on its way to becoming one of the most-cited in the history of science."

7. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    With the exception of two fundamental ones of course... coal mining and power generation ;)

Exactly. Just like the during the inquisition where disagreeing with the ruling religious zealots was counter productive to a long and peaceful life :)

When you look at the CO2 emission figures from China and India it is completely clear that believing that they can be significantly reduced is a fantasy. Money would be better spent on developing solutions to a world that has "climate change"

8. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So you agree with me. It's not a universal opinion.
    And if we then deduct the % of pseudo scientists (such as Flannery) and those whose incomes depend on scaring everyone into believing in global warming...

Righto, lets assume for a moment that this bunkum is real, and we need to reduce our CO2 emissions to save the world, you'd be in favour of nuclear power then, right?
    After all, we have the worlds largest resource of fuel and very stable geology.
    So, why aren't we investing in high-tech nuclear power instead of ridiculously expensive and inefficient wind farms and the like?

9. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Spot on.

10. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Yep never argued it was. My point has always been that it is the opinion of the overwhelming majority, the paper I quoted above suggests 99.83%

Flannery is hardly a pseudo scientist, but I'm talking about peer reviewed scientific papers and I don't know how many of those he has published on Climate Change.

I'd be in favour if the overwhelming majority of scientific evidence suggested that Nuclear is the way to go. ;)

11. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    He is when it comes to climate science. Of course that didn't stop the ALP appointing him to the role of Chief Population Scarer on Climate Change.

Haha! Nice one. :)

12. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1262 wrxmike, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
    I caught ip with a school friend of mine over christmas, who is a senior environmental advisor to one of the state governments. His own view was that the only valid objection to nuclear power was that it was expensive to commission, no country had managed to put it in without big government tax breaks. He thought that solar & wind, with gas to cover peaks was more cost effective.

He also said the existing vested interests that had invested in coal & coal fired power stations were a strong impediment to the adoption of any new technology.

M

13. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    As opposed to the huge waste of money on desalination plants that reportedly cost $1B+ to put in :confused:

14. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Coal is by a huge margin the cheapest way to make electricity and Australia has lots of it.

Interestingly, Germany has the fastest increase in coal power station in the EU now, since they shut down the soviet era nuclear plants and the politics of the Greens made it impossible to build new nuclear. They're building Lignite burning plants - worse even than our brown coal.

The world will be burning twice as much coal as today by 2030. If you think humans cause climate change then there is no way to stop it. If you think its a natural cycle, we still have to deal with the consequences.

The argument shouldn't be about what causes climate change, but how will we live with it.

15. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm moving to Tassie, that should see me out :p

16. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Half a story :rolleyes:

Is Germany switching to coal? - 100% renewable - Renewables International

Finally, it is simply not possible for Germany to increase its carbon emissions from the power sector because the country has emissions trading, which sets a limit on emissions. If anything, the phase-out of nuclear will remove a chunk of low-carbon generating capacity, thereby raising the price of carbon, which will make future investments in coal plants expensive -- but the effects will not be felt for years because it takes years to build these plants.

I can't or at least don't want to be that fatalistic.....even though my greatest fear is that you will be proved correct :(

I only half agree with this statement. The reality is that it is happening, so yes you are right that we should be planning for the consequences (something that we are not doing very well at currently).

But if the evidence suggests it is caused by humans (and it does....overwhelmingly :)) then we must try and do something about it. Some countries are BTW but the US has been particularly unhelpful in finding a global solution and the rise of China and India is more about equity than it is about climate change and thereforefore this requires global attention rather than treatment as a domestic problem.

"Work with China to deliver low-Carbon growth" urges Energy and Climate Change Committee - News from Parliament - UK Parliament

E.U. and India: Cases of low-carbon development in 2012

17. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #1267 Aircon, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks Gleggy.

19. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    I wonder if he didn't do more damage though. They were still blaming Gough and his government for the next 10 to 15 years.

20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm too young to remember this sort of thing.

21. RPN

RPN Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3M48kvJQRg&playnext=1&list=PL784FB3CEF7C2F141&feature=results-main]John Howard & Dubya: A Deep Personal Love - Buttress O'Kneel - YouTube[/ame]

22. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Go and ask your Dad then.

I remember the day in 1975 he was turfed out. I was still at school in Grade 8, first year in Senior School. Admittedly a very pro Liberal Boys Grammar school. You could hear the yells of approval and jubilation miles away.

23. RPN

RPN Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
  24. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    blah...that John Howard...he'll never amount to anything.

25. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Not half a story at all, I prefer The Economist as an accurate source of information. "Renewables International" - they wouldn't be biased to a particular viewpoint, would they?

"It is simply not possible for Germany to increase". That is LOL funny. I guess you haven't lived in Europe and discovered how things work in the EU bureaucracy.

I refer you to The Economist 5th Jan 2013
    Europe?s dirty secret: The unwelcome renaissance | The Economist

"The problem is that when the system was set up, regulators allowed companies overly generous permits to pollute, in part because of lobbying and in part because the effects of the recession were not foreseen. This oversupply has swamped the impact of emissions from coal-fired power plants."