Niki Lauda had a lung transplant . . . | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Niki Lauda had a lung transplant . . .

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Aug 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Sympathy for the Devil...

;)

NEP and G. Pepper like this.
  2. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Recovering Lauda a lot better now

SEPTEMBER 16, 2018

Niki Lauda's brother says the F1 legend is "a lot better" as he recovers from a lung transplant.

The F1 paddock has worried about the condition of the Mercedes team chairman, amid reports he will miss the rest of the season in intensive care.

"Thank God, he's a lot better now," Florian Lauda, who at 68 is a year younger than the former Ferrari and McLaren driver, told Austria's ORF broadcaster.

"He's on the phone, he's watching the races on television," he revealed.

"Of course he will need to do rehabilitation, as he will not get back to how he was too quickly," Florian Lauda added.

"But he is a tough man, which is what made him famous," he said. "He is very focused in difficult situations."

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good news, get well soon.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  4. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Lauda still old self after Wolff hospital visit

SEPTEMBER 19, 2018

According to Toto Wolff, F1 legend Niki Lauda is still his old self as he recovers from life-saving lung transplant surgery in Vienna.

Lauda, the triple world champion and Mercedes team chairman, is not likely to be seen in the paddock for the rest of 2018, but his friend and colleague Toto Wolff says Lauda is at least on the road to recovery.

Wolff, the Mercedes boss, said 69-year-old Lauda was even in a joking mood when he visited him in hospital.

"I was very worried to see him after his gigantic operation," Wolff told RTL.

"I went in and the first thing he did was smile. I thought I should continue where we left off and I said 'You've looked better'.

"He mouthed '*******' to me and I knew then that Niki is on the right path," Wolff added.

subirg, G. Pepper and 635CSI like this.
  5. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Lauda could leave intensive care soon

OCTOBER 16, 2018

Niki Lauda could finally be preparing to leave intensive care, following a lung transplant more than two months ago.

Osterreich newspaper quoted a friend as saying: "Niki is already making great progress."

The report said that following a long period of uncertainty, the 69-year-old F1 legend's body has "accepted the new lung".

"In one sense, Lauda can already leave the hospital," Osterreich explained. "But because of the long layoff, the musculature is so weakened that he currently finds it difficult to stand unaided."

So the report said the triple world champion and Mercedes team chairman will set about strengthening his body with the help of three physiotherapists.

"Once the muscles are again in good shape, Lauda may soon leave the hospital in Vienna and move to a rehab clinic," Osterreich said.

"His wife Birgit hopes this could happen in late October or early November."

A return to the F1 paddock could then possibly take place "early next season".

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That is a long time in intensive care, his recovery may take awhile.

Respect the Rat

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    This is great news, yes the physiotherapy will be tough and a bit painful,but nothing compared to what he has been through.:)

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  8. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I'd buy a tee shirt that said "Respect the Rat." Anyone out there making them?

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Brett Lunger perhaps?

Respect the Rat

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  10. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    This is good news. He may be a part of our greatest current rivals, but he is an ex-ferrari driver, and a great champion in his day. Get well soon, Forza Niki.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jeronimo GTO and NEP like this.