No Caffeine & Carburetors in 2017 | FerrariChat

No Caffeine & Carburetors in 2017

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by abster, Jan 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abster

abster Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    NJ
    #1 abster, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    That was an exceptional event. I'm sorry to see it close down for now.

3. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It seemed that they were on borrowed time after the city wanted them out of downtown. This was truly one of the great events I looked forward to every year and I applaud the organizers for their efforts over the years. Hopefully they will return in some form down the road.

4. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Sad news indeed. It was an amazing event. Let's hope it restarts in the future.
    It sounds like Doug has just had enough. The two town shows large year were huge... the townparking lots were full by 8AM - the supoosed start time of the event. I said to people then it had got too big for the town.

5. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm glad I got the December blipshift C&C shirt when I did.

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    As one who attended from the revived beginning, I am the proud owner of an original C&C hat with the misspelled "Carbaretors". In the early days there were 75-100 cars and always an interesting 45 minute tour through some beautiful roads in Westchester and upper Fairfield Counties.

I watched it mushroom from a good sized car show to one that was more than 1,000 cars. New Canaan is a small, leafy suburb and the influx of cars and people simply overwhelmed the town.

The beauty of it was its low key nature, the wide diversity of motorized vehicles, the people and the opportunity to see some absolutely stunning and rare vehicles on the road. I think it truly was probably the best C&C in the nation even though I have never been to the legendary one in Orange County, CA.

Kudos to Doug, Todd, Peter and all of the volunteers who worked so hard to keep the town happy while managing to accommodate an ever growing avalanche of people and cars. A breather is probably a good idea although it is difficult to see how it can resume on the scale that it had become. One proposal was to limit the cars in some way, by age, by type, by marque or whatever but there never seemed to be a solution that would adhere to the original principle of the meet, which was for true car enthusiasts of wide ranging interests to get together and enjoy their cars together.

Anyone in the New Canaan or Ridgefield areas should make it a point to stop by Zumbach's or 109 Cheese and Wine to keep in touch with Doug and Todd respectively. You never know what interesting cars you might see out front of Zumbach's on a weekend morning or in the parking lot at 109 Cheese and Wine!

7. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Its understandable that his event grew out of control. I was at the last one in October and it was simply the largest gathering of the rarest street cars I have ever been to. It sounds like there is an opportunity in here somewhere for a Cars & Carburetors event that uses an admission fee to cover the costs and as a limiting factor. I am sure not all 1300 attendees in October would have paid ten bucks to get in. I would have paid $20.

8. KBS1965

KBS1965 Karting

Sep 8, 2014
    Westchester County,
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Sad news indeed, but certainly understandable given the size to which it grew. The collection of cars was unmatched.

9. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    What a great event. So well run. Great cars and friendly gearheads. An early and fun ride up on a Sunday morning and back before chores.

10. MitchellC

MitchellC Rookie

Mar 31, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell
    I'm proud to say that I've experienced both the Irvine C&C and the New Canaan C&C; sad that both have been shut down in my short stint in each region. Irvine had some amazing, beautiful machinery, but it took place in a corporate parking lot. Because the New Canaan show took place all throughout downtown, it fulfilled the dream of, "What if every car in town had prominence?"

11. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That was the first and apparently the last one I attended!

I'd heard about it for years but I was flabbergasted by the size once I got there! It just got too big I guess. I prefer smaller events but what can you do about that? Well I guess they did!

I thought there were a lot more than 1,300 though? The organizers were yelling 4,000 weren't they? Maybe that was people?

There were a lot of cars I didn't need to see but that's nature of these sort of shows.

A year or two hiatus may help.

12. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I remember a couple years ago at the New Canaan C&C walking to meet a couple buddies after parking and seeing a red F40 driving down the street going north and a pack of vintage Porsches going south. I rarely take pictures with my phone but I was snapping pics on my iPhone like a giddy 16 year old with a DSLR. Sadly those pictures are gone with the iPhone 5s that I had at that time.