No PPI? | FerrariChat

No PPI?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by rongotti, Apr 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rongotti

rongotti Karting

Apr 11, 2015
    North Florida
    Thinking of buying one from Lake Forest, the salesman is telling me they don't let you do a PPI on a vehicle they are selling. Anyone else have this experience with them?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I believe they offer PPI service for outside cars, at least they did for me years back.
    What are they offering as an explanation for this?
    If simply an outright refusal for anyone to inspect the car you should have your answer already.

3. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I bought a used Aston Martin from them but didn't do a PPI. They did let me plug in my own diagnostic tools and do whatever else I wanted to do to the car in the parking lot. That satisfied me, I wouldn't have paid someone to do a PPI anyway.

4. TheNextOne

TheNextOne Rookie

Dec 16, 2011
    Hi Rongotti,

I'm with Lake Forest Sportscars and that would be very unusual for us not to offer an inspection on one of our cars. If by PPI you meant having a third-party inspector come in from somewhere else and plug into the car etc that's not typically something that we do as an authorized dealer on these cars for over 30 years; we know them well and we stand by how we represent our cars.

Feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] or 847-295-6560 x 258 if you'd like to discuss further. Otherwise we look forward to helping you out on another car down the road!

Thanks,
    Nick

5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    One of the most honest dealers in business, you can absolutely trust their description of the car they are selling.
    They would never hide any faults if they know about any.
    Old (no offense) and trustworthy crew there.....

6. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I second this. Stand-up group.

7. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I bought my 360 from LFSC two years ago and didn't even ask to do a PPI. I believe they represented the car accurately and would do it again without worry. Even if they allowed it, I wouldn't waste my time and money on a PPI. Any specific questions about the buying experience please feel free to PM me.

8. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Why adverse to a third party inspection?

9. TheNextOne

TheNextOne Rookie

Dec 16, 2011
    Hi It'sRoss not adverse just depends on the situation. If they want to bring some of their own diagnostic equipment and plug into the car it could potentially harm some of the electronics unless they really know what they're doing. It's a case by case basis but we are generally pretty accommodating.

Thanks,
    Nick

10. purexotic

purexotic Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 18, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Andrew J.
    100% agree.
    Not only would they never hide any known faults.
    But they would know about faults others would not know about it.
    That is truly priceless...
    So basically you are leveraging not only their integrity but their expertise.
    Rare to find this in day & age of lies and strong-arm tactics...

11. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I wish I had the specific link as it was in Ferrari Market Letter or Forza magazine a while back. An attorney had a Ferrari dealer do a PPI on a 275 GTB it passed with flying colors. Years later the same attorney had it sent for a "Classiche" certification and it was discovered that a tie rod had blown and the crank case had been repaired.

The Ferrari dealer who did the PPI missed this and according to the owner/attorney, greatly reduced the value of the Ferrari.

I'm going off memory on this.

Joe

12. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Not for nothing, if it wasn't noticed until years later maybe it wasn't missed when they purchased the car? Also if the events were related it may have been a connecting rod that failed?

13. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Do a search on Fchat. There is a very long thread about this. It was a 365 c/4. I won't say the name of the dealer, because I'm not sure guilt was ever determined. I will say that the dealer admitted missing the patch because it was in a hard to see location. Also, the dealer stated that it was not due to the then owner's fault.

14. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F