Non working fuel lid and trunk buttons fixed | FerrariChat

Non working fuel lid and trunk buttons fixed

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by colamclean, May 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    Bored enough with the Coronavirus shelter-in-place situation that I, after dealing with fuel and trunk lid buttons not working for a long time, finally got to work. As an FYI for other 575m owners that have the same issue, thought I should post this. Reading the few posts on FChat I could find on the common problem, I checked the relay, the fuse and both were fine. Then, pulling the switches from the mounting points next to the handbrake, I thought they looked fine - but, after cleaning the connector blades with some fine sandpaper - presto! Both switches and the buttons are working perfectly.

It is very easy to remove these switches. Many of us have done so to deal with the sticky issue. Simply pry each button out carefully using a small flat screwdriver. Pull the switch from the wiring loom and clean - maybe, just possibly it will solve your issue. I dealt with this for the past few years and solved it in less than an hour. Can’t wait to head to the gas station and pop the fuel lid without first pulling the emergency cable on the rear deck to get to the trunk to access the cable to the fuel lid... you get the point.

Simple pleasures can be so wonderful.

Stay safe!

Konadog06, NE550 and Qavion like this.
  2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Probably a cleaning product such as DeoxIT would be better than fine sandpaper. You don't want to remove the plating from the contacts.

Figuring out which product to use is the hard part (and the price)

https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/

colamclean and 308 GTB like this.
  3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    colamclean and NE550 like this.
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Good way to check those switches is to swap them out with a working one, but if there is not a working one.....

5. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    Thanks for the tips on cleaning the contacts - it occurred to me (afterwards) that sandpaper was probably not the best choice.

6. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Deoxit is a great product. I use it on connectors before snapping them back together on a regular basis.