Northrop Leaves Cali | FerrariChat

Northrop Leaves Cali

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by ND Flack, Jan 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    More likely escaping crazy taxes and the coming collapse of CA

DE is much friendlier to companies than CA

2. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    That is very sad to hear. Growing up in Cali I got to hear a ton of stories about them. Too bad Cali can't get past it's liberalness.

3. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    No sir - Washington, DC - will be headquartered in the District, Northern VA, or Maryland.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    This is just their headquarters. Northrop still has a huge facility on Aviation Blvd near LAX they will keep. I visited there last month for reusable launch vehicle discussions. They also have production facilities in Palmdale and Rancho Bernardo that will continue essentially unchanged. I would estimate fewer than 1% of their CA personnel will make the move. Current estimates are only 300 people will move. Will mean nicer offices for those who remain.

Remains to be seen whether it affects taxes paid to CA. Boeing moved their HQ to Chicago in a similar fashion in 2001.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

5. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Sorry to hear about the LA exodus after visiting HQ last month, meeting outgoing CEO Sugar, etc.

I'll be heading this week to a meeting at NGC near Dulles. I suspect they may be moving HQ either to or near this site or Crystal City.

From what I understand though, 20k or so jobs will remain in LA area, just the corporate jobs moving.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    They have a building at BWI that you already might be aware of. They have some hangers there and use the airport for some of their planes (not just executive, but some radar testing and stuff like that).

Nissan North America moved their HQ from Cali to Tennessee...cheaper place to be located...

7. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    I drove by that facility last week on my way to a meeting at LA AFB. It is huge!