Northrop N9M crash. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Northrop N9M crash.

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by GIOTTO, Apr 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    They saved the nose of one, which is mounted in the museum in Ottawa like a hunting trophy!

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It certainly did. One of those major deficiencies was the estimated turn around time between flights.

It was horrendous and basicly unacceptable. With no real way to change how certain items could be changed out quicker without a redesign of major components, it was doomed to fail from the start. I think the big two were the aileron control ram and the vertical stabilizer. Each required a huge amount of hours to change out.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Initial engineering is never perfect on new projects and there has to be time to iron out the misses. Every new program on which I worked had these issues but they were worked out, given time to address them. The 707 program was full of engineering wrong turns but they were corrected quickly and the program was successful. Basically, though, the program was based on solid engineering integrity foremost and initial expense was tolerated then. The excellence of the product was the driving force and that prevailed throughout the series up to and including the 777. I'll quit at this point.

Rifledriver likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Cars go through that too. Given time most gets solved. AVRO wasn't given the time.

Humans are pretty ingenious. Get enough eyes on a problem and solutions are found. Sometimes it needs to go out in the field where the hands on guys say "Hey, this is dumb".

tbakowsky likes this.