Nose Badge mounting question | FerrariChat

Nose Badge mounting question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by velocetwo, Feb 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    I read somewhere that there should be wax placed under the nose badge before mounting. Is this true? Does it apply only to certain era cars? And what is the proper procedure and why is it done?

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I have never heard of that before mate. :):)

I would just make sure the surfaces are clean, then glue the badge on. :):)

3. RossoGTS

RossoGTS Karting

Oct 21, 2007
    Berks UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    GLUE ...? I thought they all had two pins with nuts etc to install? looks like there is some kinda rubber gasket on my 328 nose badge.
    cheers
    Mark

4. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    If I recall correctly, the nose badge on my old '85 308 was bolted on. I was able to get at the nuts ( 7mm or 8mm , I think) after removing the spoiler grill.

5. BobH

BobH F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Morristown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Robert H
    When I removed the badge about a year ago on my 77 GTB there didn't appear to be anything other than a modest dusting of dirt on the paint. When I replaced the badge I just gave the paint a good coat of wax and assumed it would be good for another 30 years.

I think the nuts were 7mm and I would recommend puting a cloth or some other catch basin in the grill area when you got o reinstall the badge. I managed to drop one of the nuts when attampting to refasten the badge and having a cloth to catch the errant nut was a big help.

A good inventory of 7mm nuts seems to be agood thing to have on hand for these cars regardless.

6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Well, he actually doesnt mention which model of Ferrari he owns. :):)

But if I recall correctly, I saw a Ferrari nose badge for the front of my 348 and it had two locating dowels, but they were not studs with threads and nuts. So, I can safely assume that that badge was glued down. :):)

I cant verify if it was a genuine Ferrari badge or not, as I have never had to remove mine ect.....:):)

So I could be wrong?? Would be nice to know which model Ferrari he drives as it may be easier to help him. :):)

7. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Yes, I should have stated that it is a sixties vintage . The car is being restored and I heard this story about the wax and thought OK that makes sense. If water got under the badge it would leak through the stud holes, plus it would help the paint take the stress of the badge being clamped down. But it may just be another false tale.

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................ok. :):)

I still cant help you sorry mate. :p:p

Best of luck with it. :):)

9. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Sounds like resonable common-sense, to me....you're dealing with a car that does not have rust protection for the coachwork anywhere. Keeping moisture away from under emblems/badges/light fixtures/reflectors is a good way to keep rust from re-occurring. For this application, I wouldn't use wax - I'd use RTV sealant, just around the holes so moisture can't penetrate the surrounding metal but not too much that it oozes around the badge when you press it down.

10. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Most that I have had any experience with, were bolted on