Not crappy replicas!!!! | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Not crappy replicas!!!!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by redhammer, May 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Since it's being presented as a Ferrari I'd say the former.

2. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Most likely based on a Datsun, and there never was a GTO ragtop. No me gusta. :(

3. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Yep. Definitely Crappy.

Hand build me a GTO-looking body by beating the panels out of sheet aluminum, machine and cast a recreation of a GTO engine from raw materials, put it all together into a working automobile, and I will consider calling it not crappy.

Vomit up some fiberglass on a 280ZX, slather it in Ferrari badges, and that's gonna get called crappy!

4. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Here are a couple of Jay Leno's Garage episodes about the Pur Sang Bugatti Type 35 and a replica Alfa Romeo Monza. Love them or hate them, to me there is no way these can be called "crappy"!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIxlql0Ebnc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Yik1G4tr8[/ame]

5. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Well said.

I have a somewhat different feeling about these, as they are re-creations of antiques that no longer exist in roadworthy condition, or exist in very small numbers.

It's a little like a re-creation of a an historically significant sailing ship, an antique firearm, or a casting of a dinosaur bone to complete a skeleton in a museum. Re-created with reasonable accuracy for historical purposes.

I know that some will disagree with me on this point, but I think there's a huge difference between presenting a Datsun 240 as a convertible GTO - which never existed in the first place - and a one-off or very limited edition re-creation of an historically significant car.

6. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
  7. richard k

richard k Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Irricana Alberta
    The AOL diablo is one very well put together car. There are a few really nice diablo replicas and lots of not so nice ones.

8. VF1Skullangel

VF1Skullangel Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2008
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    That's an easy fix.

A simple F40 or Getrag swap from the junkyard swapped for under a G.

Now if I bought it you know what should go in there.... a 3800 Supercharged motor. ;)

9. Racer27

Racer27 Rookie

Sep 27, 2012
    Northern NJ
    I am looking for a car to be a good daily driver during Spring, Summer, Fall. Car is never going to see track, so saftey, reliability, drivability, comfort are more inportant then performance. I am not looking to build this car to fool anyone, just love that classic style (Owned FIATs and Alfas). I woud be happy with a Modern 6 cyl or a Turbo 4, at about 200 HP mated to a nice 5 or 6 speed manual.

My maxiumn point is similar to what one would pay for a Cobra Replica, about $60K. I know that is limited, but I have to be realistic.
    My options in order of priority are:
    - Spyder 250 GT Replica
    - Late 50's Vette Replica
    - Simpson Italia (Italian Inspired, Miata Based)
    - Dino Replica

The Simpson Italia (Washington State) is intresting for several reasons. First it is based on a Miata, one of the most reliable fun cars out there. A turnkey car can be had for $25K, even with a MadzaSpeed Turbo and 6 speed. For that price, I have ABS Brakes, AirBags and all modern Conviences. Only issue is Jims designs keep getting better and better, but can't match the classics. He is working on 3rd Gen Mita based car, intresting to see what that would look like, I have only seen rough sketches.

Please keep in touch. My email is abuldo at aol.com

Do you know of anyone who has one of the car built by the NJ company Calspyder Co or by Rennucci in AZ?

10. richard k

richard k Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Irricana Alberta
    We had a diablo up here with a 3800 supercharged motor out of a grand national. It went up for sale and ended up being sold to a production company and was used in the A Team movie. Nice combo 3800 with a 5 speed.

11. redhammer

redhammer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2011
  12. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

13. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    I am almost positive that Diablo is the real deal.

14. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    So, is that the point - fooling people?

I wonder if his wife was fooled by the fake diamond on her wedding ring, or if his friends and acquaintances are fooled by his fake gold Rolex, or maybe his investors are fooled by the fake prospectus from his investment company promising impossible high returns.

Point is, nearly all of these replicas are crappy - looking. But even in the very, very rare cases when a replica is of high quality, the intent is deception. It speaks poorly of the character of the person who owns it. It is indicative of a deceptive nature and makes me wonder what else such an individual might do to try to "fool" me.

15. richard k

richard k Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Irricana Alberta
    I think the diablo is real and the countash is real yea real nice. Just the workmanship that went into that car almost makes it artwork. I think 99.9 percent of car guys would like to have a car that nice in there garage. Just me but i would feel a range of emotions driving that car and embarressed would not be one of them.

16. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    What would you say if someone called you out in public and a few friends. Your girl friend then gives you the evil eye.
    Hey your car is a fake.!! Hah hah, its not even real. Then what.
    Your girls friend will then say, "what else about you is not real. Why would you lead people on like that." Are you a fake too?

17. richard k

richard k Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Irricana Alberta
    I don't think there is a woman out there that could tell that car is a replica and very few guys. Most guys would be so impressed by the car that it would not matter that it is a replica. I bet you could take that countash to a cars and coffee and most of the guys would like it. There are always a few that will bash it but i know it would be a fun car to own and drive.

18. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    This is where I find my project and have doubts as to it's catagorization since it contains remnants of Genuine Mercedes Benz W194 components as well as all vintage Genuine Mercedes parts. www.w194.com

19. richard k

richard k Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Irricana Alberta
    #170 richard k, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The old bugatti guys have been dealing with reacreations etc for decades, esp as very few Bugatti T35's survived the thirties let alone ww2 intact. Pretty much every T35 bugatti these days is some type of Bitsa incorporating old parts new build and pieces from several cars. There are also a signiuficant number of these cars that were recreated in the 70's 80's and 90's but may carry the all important fronmt axle or some brake bits from the 20's.

The way the Bugatti people put it is like this. Its not where aor when the Bugatti was built. Its a function of what went into it, and how it was built.

Under this criteria a Kirkham conra is a cobra and even a SPF GT40 is a GT40. An allegreti GTO is a GTO.

The countach is definatly not a countach. A chevy V8 will never a countach make. The fame and suspension on the car are completly different and it built from fiberglass. Adding abunch of decals and door jambs indicates this person want to fool others. Also while the build may look Ok, you can clearly see shutline and panel join issues not present in the real thing.

Now if somebody took say a wrecked diablo redid it with a countach body, then we would have lambo motor suspension etc, even if the body were fiberglass at least oit would eb alambo.

Dont forget the heart and soul of an italian car is the motor. If you build something fiberglass with a different type motor you have a kit car fake.

21. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I think that brings us quite a bit closer to reason - and a reasonable criteria by which to judge which is a "re-creation" and which is a "fake."

VF1Skullangel is a user here who loves kit cars, and regularly puts down genuine Ferraris, especially the 308. Well, he can have his opinions. But his argument that some Fieros may be faster than some Ferraris is a red herring. While arguably true in some cases, top speed is not the only point of having a Ferrari, especially a classic one. (And if Fieros are somehow "better" than genuine Ferraris by some measure, why isn't anybody replicating them?) ;)

Here is a list of a few modern cars that have the same or better horsepower than a 250 GTO. So, obviously, we should just replicate GTO body panels in fiberglass, tack them onto the chassis of one of these fabulous gems, and have a "better" car than a genuine GTO:

2013 Caddy ATS 3.4
    2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse
    Chrysler 300 SRT8
    Challenger SRT8 392
    Mitsubishi Lancer Evo
    Subi Impreza
    WRX STI
    Nissan GT/R

In addition, there are some cars I wouldn't mind having, like the Audi TT, Porsche 911T, and Mustang Boss 302.

But when will any of these be worth $30M? I'm betting never.

22. richard k

richard k Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Irricana Alberta
  23. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Best replica in my book:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRLQo7WTWJo]Lancia Stratos Replica - Hawk HF3000 - Test Driven - YouTube[/ame]

JD

24. richard k

richard k Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Irricana Alberta
    #175 richard k, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017