Novitec Nf2 for a 456 gt | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Novitec Nf2 for a 456 gt

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by abilliet, Oct 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Antony- Those F430 wheels look great, but are way too narrow for a Maranello. She would understeer like all get out. Even the rears are 1/2" narrower and we have enough traction problems as it is.

I knew I should have picked up all those 360 NF2s I saw for $2000-2500. No place to store them, though. 360 and 575M wheels are identical, even if the boxes were marked differently.

2. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    #77 abilliet, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Antony- Glad you finally found a set. I would recommend Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 255/35 19 F and 345/30 19 R. Unfortunately, all the P Zeros in 355/25 19 are 2008 castings. Nobody has had ABS issues with that combination of MPSS tires and the MPSS tires are far superior to the old P Zero Rossos.

4. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    Thanks for your advice taz!

5. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    Taz. I wrote to novitec and suggested they do another production run ! Their reply was fairly standard but perhaps they have been alerted they are still in demand '

6. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed

Here's those michelins that Taz mentions on 19" novitecs on an 01 M 6 speed.

I did have to adjust her rake a bit, raising the rear end slightly and you I'll definitely need good 25mm spacers. Also, if your rear shocks need rebuilt get them done before the wheels or you'll get some nice grinds on hard turns. Ask me how I know. Goes away with the delta Vee talents. Enjoy!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    Wow. They really look nice. They are really made for the 456 !

8. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    #83 abilliet, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ecarca likes this.
  9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Antony- Looks great. Well worth the hunt.

10. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    Thanks Taz. Unfortunately can't bring them in as hand luggage !

11. Tifoso

Tifoso Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2005
    Concord, NH
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Looks terrific, Tony -- nicely done!

12. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Are those standard issue Ferrari logo center cap covers?

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Standard Ferrari wheel centers of any type you like fit the NF2s. The wheels were designed for Ferraris.

14. whammy

whammy Rookie

Feb 15, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Glenn Cox
    Taz,
    Thanks for all your 'spot on' commentary and knowledge. Taking delivery of my 456 next month (Corsa Rosso with Crema) and have tracked down NF2s with Michelins. Will get the Hill 25mm spacers. Can you explain 'ABS window' which you have referred to several times.
    Also should I expect any negative issues with dash lights, self-levelling suspension, 3-way ride adjustment etc. Also the rear wheel and tyre seems very heavy! IS the 456 rear hub and suspension design able to cope with this extra unsprung weight?
    All help greatfully accepted.
    whammy

15. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Don't know why the Hill bolts don't work with their own spacers, but get these and save yourself some headache: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10PC-LOW-PROFILE-LUG-BOLTS-14x1-5-17MM-HEX-CHROME-CONICAL-WHEEL-STUD-25MM/162301873741

16. whammy

whammy Rookie

Feb 15, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Glenn Cox
    I understood from Taz that the Hill spacers bolt directly to the 456 hub. Are you saying that their bolts bottom out in the thread? If so thanks for the tip and I will get the different bolts.
    w

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The ABS window is that the front to rear tire diameter differential must be below 5% difference from OEM. Those MPSS tires are 4.1% and have worked on multiple 456s and Maranellos. Our V12s have massive suspension and rear axle parts compared to the 360, which uses the same wheels, so no sweat there. As long as your self-leveling and shocks are in good shape, as mentioned above, no issue with rubbing with 25 mm Hill Engineering Type 2 spacers. The spacer bolt heads are just slightly too big for the NF2s (do not seat completely against the hub) and need to be turned down slightly or replaced. Work fine on OEM Ferrari wheels. Steven Hill has said he only worries that his spacers fit OEM wheels, and he cannot accommodate all aftermarket wheels.

Rear wheels are 12.5" wide and that is a lot of aluminum, so they are heavy, just like the Enzo wheels from which they were copied. You might notice a slight degradation in ride quality, especially compared to a 10Jx17 wheel with much taller sidewalls. Nothing else will be affected. Handling and ultimate cornering power are much improved with this combination.

18. whammy

whammy Rookie

Feb 15, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Glenn Cox
    That's really interesting as I had imagined that tyre companies made the diameters as consistently as possible so that speedo error is reduced. How is the ABS ratio monitored or sensed by the car?
    My 456 had the Bilstein shocks rebuilt in last few years and the SL accumulators have been renewed. Although my PPI revealed some slight seepage from the rear shocks (strange after such recent rebuild).
    Thanks for the comments.
    w

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Paul Hill, not Steven. Not sure where that came from.

Glenn- The wheel sensors send info to the ABS ECU for braking and traction control, so they know when things are out of whack.

If Bilstein rebuilt your shocks, they used the same crummy parts that failed. If need be, have Delta Vee rebuild them. I think they have a pretty good warranty, too.

20. whammy

whammy Rookie

Feb 15, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Glenn Cox
    Thanks Terry I will check it out when have the car. Delta Vee website has good tech explanation of the unique rear suspension on the 456 - appreciate you pointing me there.

21. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The Hill bolts protrude beyond the spacer, which looks like it would be a problem even with factory wheels (but I haven't tried.) It seems an easy fix for Hill to make a universal product, but I guess they don't sell enough that they're interested.
    FWIW, I tried turning the Hill bolts down in a press with various files... if you go that route, send them to a machine shop, trust me.

22. nygts

nygts Rookie

Sep 26, 2011
    Anyone know of any other NF2s available? Been searching and haven't found any

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #98 tazandjan, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Chris- No problem with factory 18 or 19 inch wheels and the HE spacers. I had them on with the 18" OEM 575M wheels, swapped to NF2s and had to use a different set of spacer bolts, and then the original spacer bolts worked fine with the 19" modulars I currently have fitted.

nygts- NF2s show up infrequently, so make sure you are looking for either 360 or 575 wheels. They are identical. There was also a set for the F430 that uses the same front wheels, but has 12Jx20 rear wheels are a bit too tall for our V12s. 612 NF2s will not fit. Different bolt pattern.

24. whammy

whammy Rookie

Feb 15, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Glenn Cox
    Taz, Any suggestions for optimum tyre pressures for my 456GT with NF2s and Michelin Pilot Sport 345/30/19 x 255/35/19?
    w

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I would start with 32 psi front and rear and see how she handles.