Now Available! New transmission switches to replace rubber buttons | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Now Available! New transmission switches to replace rubber buttons

Discussion in '360/430' started by Dave rocks, Sep 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Here is a brief video illustrating the differences between the rubber and hard plastic buttons. Please pardon the crappy cell phone video - it's hard to get it to focus and to see what is in focus or not in the preview. We will follow this up with a better version down the road. Thanks.

Tackleberry likes this.
  2. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    So, here is a video of the completed, retrofitted Afla 8C switch assemblies :) These came to us with the coating cracking on the rubber buttons. We have retrofitted the rubber buttons with our new hard plastic button switch assemblies and our hard touch coating which will never get sticky and of course are laser etched graphics :cool:

Tackleberry likes this.
  3. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Our electronics vendor has been selected and we are awarding the purchase order within the next day or two. They are telling us 4 weeks for the first batch of production. :)

Note, our production injected molded buttons will be here prior to that so if anyone is in a hurry, we can retrofit yours but that requires sending us your switches.

Contact me if you wish to discuss in more detail.

Thanks.

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    So today we retrofitted a 430 SCUD set of switches for a car that we just refinished all the interior parts. Take a look at this photo and how good these look when done properly. Best of all, they won't fail like the rubber buttons and the coating will never get sticky. I'd say "win-win" :cool:

We also created a video demonstrating how to remove and install our new switch assemblies and harness. That will be posted soon :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Here is a video demonstrating the installation. Please pardon the resolution - we did not have the camera set to hi-def when creating the video.

ar4me likes this.
  6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Here is a night time illuminated photo :)

Attached Files:

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Michael B likes this.
  8. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Brilliant work guys! You should really consider doing bespoke interiors for custom shops and restorers, if you haven't already.

Dave rocks likes this.
  9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you, John. We've done a few custom projects and will entertain others although our main focus is restoration to the highest quality and workmanship in the world.

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    1st batch of housing has arrived and 2nd batch due tomorrow :)

We are able to retrofit your rubber button switches to our new hard button switches right now. Our electronics will be available in a few weeks for the turn key solution. For those that need a fix "now", contact me an we can retrofit yours within a day or two and they will never fail or get sticky again ;)

sakodik and Michael B like this.
  12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  14. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Cannot believe the original quality is so poor on switches.

Well done Dave and all your team on this vast improvement!

Dave rocks likes this.
  15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Today we received our first article harness assemblies from our electronics supplier along with our custom test fixture. Each and every harness will be tested.

We expect to have production units for sale within a couple weeks.

Enjoy :)

DefunctNeurons and Tackleberry like this.
  16. james manis

james manis Rookie

Mar 20, 2013
    Today I installed a harness that Dave sent me to test in my F430 which has the L.C. button included. I am pleased to say that all 3 functions worked perfectly and the harness looks amazing. It literally took less than 10 minutes to install and the results are impressive. Firstly, the new switches work smoothly and engage with ease. I found the factory switches needed to be depressed firmly to engage, which probably contributed to their failure. Secondly, the new switches are really clear and illuminate beautifully at night. I have created a video of the installation using my iPhone but need to work out how to upload (any help would be appreciated). In the mean time, I have included a couple of photo's of the newly installed harness. Dave, you have done an awesome job! Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

John_K_348, whatheheck and Dave rocks like this.
  17. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Santa came early this year, or late, depending on how you look at it. I have been waiting for a good solution to the sticky reverse button on my Scuderia for a few years, not wanting to replace with ($$$) oem for the same to just happen again. So, when Dave announced he was working on a solution I was excited, having great experience with his work on my 612 parts. After chasing the USPS for a few days I had the new switch assembly in my hands - looks and feels awesome! I am hoping to install within the next few days - gotta finish a lamp hanging project for the wife first... until then, a few pics of the goodies.

18. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    How much are these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    We will publicly announce the cost as soon as units are available for purchase on or before January 7th.

20. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Finished the lamp hanging project and got time to play :) It probably took longer to take the car down and clean the goo from the old switches off my hands :)

The offending buttons as they have been for the past few years

Undo 4 allen bolts (with protection on tip to prevent marring the surfaces or bolts) :)

Only catch was a zip-tie under the right corner towards rear of car, holding the cable up under the console. Simply slide the square threaded receiver toward the center, do the same with the zip tie, and it is easy to cut.

I took the panel to the dining table to replace the switches in order to avoid dropping any of the little screws or star washers into the abyss. Before and after of panel out of car :)

A picture speaks a thousand words :) and finally, panel back in car. Reverse of taken out, including zip tie, etc.

This set of buttons have been bugging me for years. Finally, a good solution! Thanks Dave. Functional test in next post.

whatheheck and Dave rocks like this.
  21. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #46 ar4me, Dec 25, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Car starts in Neutral, Auto mode. I switched it to Manual -> Reverse -> Neutral -> Auto. Everything worked as stock, and at the pictures below you can see the corresponding indications in the cluster.

and, finally, a picture of the switch illuminations. Everything exactly like stock, EXECPT, no more stickiness... :)

f355spider, whatheheck and Dave rocks like this.
  22. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    After posting the illumination picture I realize that it doesn’t show great in that picture - it is perfect in person, though. I was going to take another but the car is back on the top of the lift... will take another next time it is down.

f355spider, whatheheck and Dave rocks like this.
  23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    That looks great!

Thanks for sharing Jes.

Dan

Dave rocks likes this.
  24. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    My R button is starting to sticky...how much is the kit?

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    So, please allow me to clarify any confusion should there be any:

- The primary reason for these reproduction switch assemblies is to replace the rubber buttons that disintegrate.

- Yes, our new switches will never get sticky or disintegrate as they are injection molded, hard plastic with a hard touch coating, not the soft touch that gets sticky.

If your switch assemblies are already the hard plastic type, we can refinish those and the cost is less than the new switches. So, we first need to determine what you have so we can recommend the best course of action.

Regarding cost, as I posted above, once these are in stock we will publicly post the cost. We expect that date to be approximately January 7, 2019.