Now issues.. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Now issues..

Discussion in '308/328' started by jonesdds, Jul 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Basically. Ones at 8 clock position and one at 7. That's ok?

2. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    After install of Dave Helms rebuilt ignition I'm running good again. Also had timing belts, last coolant hoses and engine mounts replaced. Slightly rough when cold initially, unlike before spark plug change. Wondering if the change from the iridium to regular NGK plugs is the difference......was the same before belts changed.

3. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    It shouldn't run rough when cold. Have you verified the protection relay is working? Another possibility would be the auxiliary air valve.

When you say rough what are you experiencing?

4. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks for your reply. Just a bit of a misfire with acceleration after a few minutes of a cold restart(60 degree ambient). Once it warms up for 10 min or so no issues and no warm issues at all. Unfortunately not run too much last three months so I'm wondering with more frequent use......

5. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Also after install of "new" ignition, started in morning and stalled rolling out of driveway after a few min warmup. Had a hard time restarting but finally did.

6. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Protection relay? Not familiar.

7. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Accumulator going bad and not holding pressure? Have you only driven it once since installing the new ignition components?

8. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    3 times including from the shop after belts etc.

9. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    The protection relay is located under the carpet on the passenger side of the luggage compartment. It has a fuse embedded in the relay.

Has the car been difficult to start every time you have to restart it after being warm? Is it cranking but won't turn over? What are the symptoms of the difficult start?

10. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Only difficult to start if stalled when cold. Otherwise no cold or warm start problems. Only one occurrence, stalled about two minutes after starting and difficulty restarting, by difficult mean 20 sec turnover time. Reason for stalling is miss fire reving to get revs up to start up a incline in my driveway.

11. Ivan Castro

Ivan Castro Rookie

May 27, 2020
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    Ivan Castro
    I am trying to replace the ignition wires/ 1989 328. I see a post about a "tech section" where is that? How do I replace the coil wire?

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
  13. Ivan Castro

Ivan Castro Rookie

May 27, 2020
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    Ivan Castro
    Yes, I knew this was an old thread but I am new to this Ferrari world (and this chat site) and although in the beginning I was able to post a general question, I cannot figure out how to do that now and thus I found a thread closest to what I needed and as usual.............got a response! One thing I was able to simply google was how to remove the coil wire from the distributor.............duh, pull the spring loaded pin and the screw is underneath. As always, I thank you for the reply. I have worked on 3 Mustangs, 1 Spitfire and 1 Delorean that I own but didn't think I could work on a Ferrari. And now have the expansion tank off, the spark plug wires and distributor off and will be replacing several of the dirty and dingy smog/air hoses. How to work on the other side of the engine............I guess you either drop the engine or train a few squirrels............! Let me know how to generate a question and throw it out to the Ferrari Chat world.

14. Ivan Castro

Ivan Castro Rookie

May 27, 2020
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    Ivan Castro
    Never mind, I figured it out (how to post a question)! Thanks. This is such a gorgeous car. I love working on it.