Now you all go buy a Tesla! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Now you all go buy a Tesla!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by kevin1244, Apr 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    According to the balance sheet's I'm looking at, Goodwill is only $70M and their assets are $29B vs $23B in liabilities. Whether you agree with those values is another matter.

Keep in mind that GM's Cruise Automation venture saw post-money valuation at $15B in back in Oct 2018. They don't even have a commercial product yet. Google's Waymo is suggested to be worth many billions as well.

I don't know whose technology wins the autonomous race (and maybe several succeed and compete), but I believe it's safe to say that Tesla's autonomous technology IP alone is in fact worth billions, and their power electronics and battery IP ain't to shabby either as evident by even their old cars being better than everyone's new cars.

2. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    You guys are clearly on the wrong forum. :)

Here, I'll make it easy for you, here's a link to your bold new world:

https://forums.tesla.com/

Have fun over there, and enjoy the electrolytic passion! :)

Arrivederci! Ciao!

Texasrecurve, Shadowfax and Surfah like this.
  3. bearmdjd

bearmdjd Karting

Jul 10, 2017
    Seriously, why all the Tesla hate on this thread? My garage is currently a 488 spider and a Model 3 performance. Could not ask for a better complement of cars. I’m on my second Tesla and second Ferrari and will be buying number 3 of both by the end of the year. I have two other friends also with the Tesla/Ferrari combo.

I’ve never been a Tesla fanboy but there’s no reason to hate on the thing as an appliance either. For comfort, tech, autopilot, and range - Tesla is still way ahead of everyone else. My first Tesla was a Model S P90D — it shaked and rattled everywhere and I would be the first person to point out all the flaws. My Model 3 is light years ahead of where the S was in terms of build quality. I keep looking for a better daily driver to eat up the 40-60k miles I drive a year but can’t come up with one. The iPace and upcoming E-Tron aren’t close. I would kill for an Audi interior on the Tesla though.

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    So perfectly worded by one with experience.

bearmdjd likes this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #55 Shadowfax, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Yes I also fail see the relevance of discussing such a hideous appliance on a Ferrari forum....it's a total affront!!!! Not as if a Tesla could ever be seen as any alternative to owning a Ferrari as it sits at the complete opposite end of the spectrum and flies completely in the face against everything Ferrari stands for!! This thread should be at moved off and into the garbage section without any further ado! This thread sits as a blight on the pages of the 458 488 F8 section....ugh! Awful!!

Bas, Texasrecurve and Eilig like this.
  6. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    Second. The notion of complementary cars makes sense. I hate tesla styling though... makes me think of a cross between 90's japanese cheap sports cars and the most conservative audi on the outside at least. Elon is pushing the industry in the right direction though. As much as i love ferrari and what the cars offer, there is a need for energy versatility of a battery powered car. Our species simply needs this in the long run. TSLA technology is special. The Economist highlighted some study that (if i heard correct- it was end of my commute) disected a few e-cars and basically found teslas to be overall comparatively lower quality in most areas with a critical exception: battery technology. I would add a tesla in my garage but i hate the way they look. Plus we burn alot of coal out here negating the eco benefit part. Might just be a hybrid til then.

Sent from my SM-N920V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

bearmdjd, kevin1244 and Shadowfax like this.
  7. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    This is a big deal. Mobileye was the provider for Tesla's first AP system, and they were bought for $15 billion. Tesla's technology has now significantly eclipsed them. $15B is a third of Tesla's market cap just for a single feature on their cars. And while there have been a few high profile crashes, what doesn't make the headlines are all the times it prevents a crash. The accident rate for Tesla drivers using AutoPilot is half that of Tesla drivers without AP engaged.

Then why do you keep posting in it? Like half the posts in this thread are from folks like you who claim you don't even want it here. If you were to just ignore it this thread would die.

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #58 Shadowfax, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    I post because I don't come to Ferrarichat to read things like this and, because this thread really has no place here - it not only has nothing to do with Ferraris" but worse still insults the ethos of Ferraris' and what they stand for. It is also not a matter of letting it die as it should never have been here in the first place. So please show some respect to some of the few last standing car enthusiasts on this planet and talk about this crap elsewhere! Please! With any luck the mods will dispatch this thread to the trash. PS Teslas are also one of THE most unstylish cars on the planet if not THE most. And I make no apology for saying that...because it is the truth....plus it's electric which only makes matters even worse....if that's possible. Basically a Tesla is a very ugly dishwasher with 4 wheels and a steering wheel that can't even wash the dishes!

Texasrecurve and Eilig like this.
  9. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    An electric, plug in device, devoid of style, designed only to accomplish a simple task = APPLIANCE :)

Bas, Texasrecurve and Shadowfax like this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Furthermore - rather than wasting money buying a Tesla just ride the bus and do the world a favor instead of choking the road up with a very ugly clumsy brick which relies on huge amounts of carbon to feed it.

Texasrecurve likes this.
  11. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Fixed that for ya :p

Personally I think the Model S is one of the best looking 4-door cars on the market, certainly more stylish and better looking that the generic German sedans.

Wade likes this.
  12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    pdxjim488 and Texasrecurve like this.
  13. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    For a bunch of guys who think this thread belongs elsewhere, you sure do post a lot about Teslas LOL

Model X P100D >> Lusso T, just sayin... It's faster in the real world too...

stardoc likes this.
  14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    https://thenextweb.com/cars/2017/01/23/tesla-vp-wants-accelerate-path-cars-appliances/

Tesla VP wants to ‘accelerate the path to cars being appliances’

by BRYAN CLARK — Jan 23, 2017 in CARS

Chris Lattner isn’t a car guy. In fact, Tesla’s new VP of Autopilot software wants cars to be a little more like your refrigerator.
    “I want to accelerate the path to cars being appliances that solve people’s problems,” he told Accidental Tech Podcast, an Apple-centric tech show.

Before coming to Tesla, Lattner spent 11 years heading software projects at Apple — like Swift, Apple’s built-from-the-ground-up programming language. Now, he’s tasked with improving Tesla’s self-driving technology by thinking outside the (gear) box and coming up with practical ways to solve new problems. The key, in Lattner’s mind, is to look at the challenges through the perspective of an ‘un-car person.’

Lattner says:
    I’m personally not the kind of guy who loves doing oil changes and fiddling around with them. I just want something that is reliable, that works, ideally drives me everywhere I want to go, and I don’t have to think about it. It’s solving my problems, it’s not something I have to care for, feed and maintain. That’s the way I look at cars.

And maybe we should too. After all, the concept of owning a car could change drastically in the near future. As automakers push toward autonomy, it opens up a world of possibilities and many of these don’t require actually owning the car. Instead, you’d treat it as a form of public transportation, or an on-demand rental like Zipcar or Car2Go.

A decade ago none of this would have seemed likely. Upper echelon software developers went to work for the likes of Google, Microsoft, and Apple. They planted roots in the Silicon Valley, not America’s heartland.

Today, though, things have changed. Automakers worldwide are moving toward autonomy — whether complete or assistive — and seeking top tier talent to get them there. Lattner’s ‘un-car person’ approach could just become the rule, not the exception.

15. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Lol some people take things too personally. I think when you are confident you are calm and relaxed knowing what you bring to the table. EVs are coming, even Ferrari is starting to hybridize their lineup

And if Tesla is somehow allowing Ferrari to make more ICE cars by less regulatory fines/burden, I wouldn’t necessarily be complaining but thank them for that

Don’t knock it till you try it, for DD stuff the cars are good and just completely opposite to Ferrari which is ok IMO. Don’t expect a Tesla, even a roadster, to compete but instead I agree they can be very complementary

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    For an only car I would take the Lusso (gotta have at least one ICE car), otherwise I would take the P100D (have the older P90D X and it’s great) assuming another sports car around

Same thing with the bashing against McLaren, don’t really get it. I would argue competition and others doing well helps us as consumers and even tifosi to encourage Ferrari to stay on top or ahead of the game. Rather then just make them a taboo subject. Focus was is and always will be related to Ferrari of course, that’s why we are all here

Jaguar36 likes this.
  17. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    This mentality is good for those who hate driving and car ownership, those people out there exist and my desire to own drive and enjoy my cars does not outweigh their perspective either. I just hope a fair balance can be struck down the road where the people who don’t want to drive don’t have to. so they command their EV to safely take them where they want to go, while the enthusiasts who get a lot of pleasure out of enjoying the open roads can continue to do so in their ICE car like the motorcycle guys

More people off the roads or driving safely (I trust technology actually more than most drivers at least here in LA) and hopefully helping the environment is great. Then I can enjoy my 488 and ideally in less traffic :)

18. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    You people are funny. If a FedEx truck is electric, we would not complain. But Tesla all of a sudden is the most horrific thing because it has no internal combustion engine and the associated sound?
    ICE: Engine, clutch/transmission, differential, 4 wheels, steering wheel, two pedals, fuel, passenger compartment with some amenities.
    Tesla /electric car: Motor, clutch/transmission, differential, 4 wheels, steering wheel, two pedals, batteries, passenger compartment with some amenities.
    Looks/aesthetics are totally subjective, so no point to even bother discussing.

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    To each their own.

I own exotics and Tesla’s so I find the above to be just misinformed noise. But I respect your right to an opinion.

20. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    I don't own a Tesla; I don't mind getting a Taycan though; just a matter of taste. Tesla is a car like any other, ICE/gasoline replaced by motor/batteries. May be most people who are not car enthusiasts consider all cars to be appliances - regardless. Compared to an exotic, a Toyota Camry may be considered an appliance too; it takes you from point A to point B; just like a Tesla would do!

21. tryii

tryii Rookie

Feb 13, 2018
    South Barrington, IL
    Full Name:
    Terry R. Yormark II
    For what it is worth, I used to make fun of electric cars. Then one day I read owners of Tesla said their next car would be a Tesla at a rate of over 90%. This broke all survey records. Skeptical, I went and test drove one (first time I ever test drive anything). Instantly I was blown away and ended up ordering one that same week. My S75D Tesla is Fast, smooth, all wheel drive, amazing in the snow, and can comfortably fit my 2 kids in the back. Of course I aspire to own a Ferrari (God willing) this or next year but the Tesla isn’t going anywhere. Amazing automobile.
    Ps. Love the forum, thanks guys!

v35 and kevin1244 like this.
  22. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Nothing wrong with having the best of both worlds... and I'm sure you all know 1) which one pushes my eyeballs back in their sockets and 2) which one screams under WOT.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wade, Jaguar36, v35 and 1 other person like this.
  23. Texasrecurve

Texasrecurve Karting

Oct 15, 2006
    Graham, Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney D. Mitchell
    #73 Texasrecurve, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    It’s simple really.....if your car is a tool simply to get from point A to point B then a Tesla is for you.
    If your car is a living, breathing creature that you wish you could keep inside your house, a la Ferris Bueller’s Day Off......then a Ferrari is for you. The first group will NEVER understand the second group. I’ve been in the second group all my life and that’s why I’m on my third Ferrari.
    If I could afford a Tesla AND a Ferrari that would be great, but I can only have one. It’s an easy choice for me.

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    #74 dustman, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Sigh. Don’t get it clearly.

25. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    #75 stardoc, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    So true. My X P100 has easily out accelerated a Lambo Urus which is supposedly the ultimate SUV. And for the haters out there, spare me the "oh but it's better in the twisties bit" because they are competing in the SUVs market, not exactly a bastion of performance types (although it helps that the batteries are low to the ground). If I want to have fun I'll drive my Ferrari or Quadrifoglio, if I want to drive around town in comfort , unparalleled technology in a car and with instant torque to pass whatever and whomever I choose, there is NOTHING else out there. Add to that the ability to charge off solar panels, it's American made but doesn't look like a poorly constructed barge like some of it's three row competitors, and you understand why Tesla owners are so brand loyal.