NPT pipe plug size versus hole size...? | FerrariChat

NPT pipe plug size versus hole size...?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by fastradio, Jul 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Why must this be so confusing?

I have several non-tapped holes in an intake manifold that I'd like to plug using threaded NPT plugs.

The hole size is 6mm (.23622").

Despite reading the various charts online, do I need an 1/8" NPT plug, or a 1/16" NPT plug. I don't quite understand the relationship between the 1/8" and 1/16" nomimal sizes of the plug versus what size hole they'll actually fit.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Thanks,
    David

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    You should be able to tap that hole for 1/16" pipe.

Here's a link to a page with Tap Drill sizes that include 1/16". The size you mention looks perfect already.

http://academic.evergreen.edu/projects/biophysics/technotes/fabric/pipe.htm

The tricky part might be finding a tap. I have a very extensive assortment of threading tools (including a set purchased from Ferrari in the 60's) but no 1/16" pipe.

I need to get one. :D

3. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Thanks Tim for the clarification...
    FYI: McMaster Carr has the 1/16" NPT 27 tap PN: 2525A171

David

4. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #4 finnerty, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
    DAVID ---

Why do you want to use NPT plugs over straight-threaded plugs? You can get the same degree of sealing performance with straight threads if you use a proper thread sealant.

The reason I question the NPT approach is this ---

I assume the manifold is a cast Aluminum piece?

When tapping an internal NPT thread in soft / brittle materials, it is preferred to drill a tapered pilot hole before tapping. This is very difficult to do accurately by hand --- milling equipment and depth monitoring methods are generally used to accomplish this.

Attempting to force a tapered NPT plug tap into a straight-walled pilot hole can crack the piece --- if it is sufficiently thin and / or composed of weaker materials (e.g., cast Al).

BE CAREFUL :) :)

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    In more than 30 years of drilling and tapping holes in all types of materials, I've never seen a tapered tap drill bit. A decent chamfer usually gets the tap started. Use a good lubricant and be careful and you're good to go.

I've broken a few taps (usually in stainless or hard steel) over the years but I doubt there's much chance of breakage in an aluminum manifold.

A straight-threaded plug like you recommend would need an o-ring or metal sealing washer against a precisely machined surface to seal properly. I don't think this was what David was looking for.

6. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
  7. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Since he's talking about an intake manifold, I'm assuming the goal is only to seal air at low pressure (positive and negative atmospheric)?

Take a look at any intake manifold --- nearly every piece of plumbing coming off it is attached with a straight thread fitting (if it uses threads) and a sealant.

Yes, using an NPT plug is the "better way" to go --- it's just not always required.

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Tapered end-mills. Not really a drill bit and overkill for this application. controlling the drilling depth is pretty critical. Go a little deep and you're oversize.

I'll stick with conventional tap-drills.

Since you sourced McMaster Carr, here's one of their famous diagrams showing the difference between tapered and straight pipe threads. Straight requires a seal (and a flat surface perpendicular to the hole to seal against).

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.aspx?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=2&RelatedCtlgPgs=3,2&CtlgEdition=115&ScreenWidth=1280&McMMainWidth=1062&sesnextrep=807257435329948

Without a proper seal the plug is merely a bolt in a threaded hole. When tightened, there is a clear path for leakage around the "back" side of the thread. Using some type of sealant might prevent leakage in a low pressure application but I've seen it fail (oil sump studs are a typical example).

I've looked at "any intake manifold" (I've got a few from different cars) typically they have straight thread fittings that use a sealing washer (typically copper or fiber or rubber o-ring) no sealant required, or they use NPT or BSPT tapered pipe fittings with "dope" or teflon tape on the threads.

David was looking for drill size information and I think he's got what he needs. It doesn't sound like a big engineering project, just a few holes need filling.

9. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    I had considered a straight-threaded plug, but felt a bit more comfortable using a tapered plug, in that I'll end up with both a mechanical and chemical bond. The "boss" surround the holes I'm going to plug area considerable in diameter, so I have little fear (although always very cautious) that I'll be able to correctly taper and tap these holes.

Thanks for your thoughful input.

Best,
    David