NSX's new engine annouced today | Page 6 | FerrariChat

NSX's new engine annouced today

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by nsxnick, Jul 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    The GT-Rs actively distribute torque side-to-side? Learn something new every day.

2. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    You're off your rocker if you think a 500HP V-10 is exotic.

Umm ... this is wrong on so many points its obnoxious. First, there are already a few cars on the market with 500HP V-10s. BMW M5, Viper SRT-10, Lamborghini Gallardo. The M5 and Viper are both less than $100K. The Viper's motor can be had from Chrysler as a crate motor for less than $15K. It's not made up of anything exotic .. its just called good old fashion displacment. Who here said the V-10 in the NSX had to be 3 liters? Why couldn't it be 5 or 6 liters? To get 650HP out of 3 liters you need extremely high revs, which would indicate the need the for your expensive lightweight high-tech parts ... but with more diplacement the need the high-revs diminishes.

I hate this crap ... a transmission doesn't give a rats arse about horsepower, it cares only about torque. Torque is the twisting force the engine makes, horsepower is a factor of torque and RPM that helps you determine the efficiency of gearing as its affected by RPM. The 500HP V10 in the Viper needs a MUCH strong transmission than an 800HP V10 of only 3 liters and the reason is torque, horsepower is a magical number that has no real affect on thrust.

Bill in Brooklyn

3. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Actually, Porsche's are extremely competant daily drivers and the standard Porsche's (not the CGT, GT2, or GT3) are fairly soft and compromised well to do daily activities.

Most Honda's are appliances, you're absolutely correct. But have you driven an NSR or an S2000? On the track? Didn't think so. I have.

First off, you're stock '89 Turbo S cannot run with an NSX. Period, you can spout crap out your arse for weeks if you want, but your 100% stock 944 Turbo S won't touch a 100% stock NSX. A modded 944 will, but given the fact that your 944 is already forced induced and is now modded, how abouts we give those same advantages over to the NSX and play ... how's about it?

Here's what you do, go to Japan, look at the multitude of race series' that the NSX competes in, and tell the Japanese that the NSX's racing history is for nothing. Go ahead.

For once you're right, I too doubt that Porsche is worried, but the fact remains that when Honda sets out to build something, anything ... they do it in an absolutely phenomenal way. When the NSX debuted it was faster around pretty much any track than any other "sports-car" of that time. The same holds true for the S2000 ... have you ever seen what an S2000 will do in the hands of someone who knows what to do with it? I'm not saying that it will beat up on a GT2 or a GT3 ... but don't discount Honda's engineering abilities in the sports-car sense because they don't have much racing history here in the US. Honda does fantastic with whatever it builds.

Bill in Brooklyn

4. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    ZR-1. :)

5. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    This last quote from you shows just how little you actually know about the NSX.

Japan in the 3rd largest motor racing country in the world. They have some of the most coveted race tracks in the world. They turn out some of the best drivers in the world .. the NSX has PLENTY of track test time. You know little to nothing about the NSX and every time you post it amplifies that fact 3-fold.

JGTC (Japan GT CUP), go look it up. As far as the NSX being built for executives .. the NSX-R is lighter than your GT3. Just because it retains a few comfort features while being lighter isn't Honda's problem .. it's Porsche's. And for the record, I'm not knocking Porsche, I love them, but lets give credit where credit is due shall we?

And every magazine editor who stepped in an NSX when they came out and said it was the best driver's car in the world was wrong and you are right? That must be it.

Again, never driven an NSX ... this if nothing else, is obvious.

You are absolutely correct. Turbo cars do not have the throttle response normally aspirated cars like the NSX do and just don't have provide the same connection and feedback to the driver. You really don't have the same experience in a 911 turbo that you have in an NSX. Thanks for pointing that out.

The only thing the NSX proved was that the typical buyer in the US is uneducated as to what makes a sports-car. It proved that no-one seemed to care about weight, feedback, or finesse, we as Americans just cared about gobs and gobs of horsepower and flashy looks. People like you pushed, and continue to push, that point home.

Ford has a great racing history, but builds the worst cars in the world. Honda has consistantly built extraordinary cars every time they've tried. This is why their resale value and customer satisfaction ratings are as good as they are. The S2000 is one of the most fun cars you buy today and is wickedly quick around a track. Just because the doctor has 50 years of experience doesn't mean he's the only one who's good.

Simple, because the NSX was a car built for the purist ... something the US has so very little of. We're a land of overweight, overpowered, underhandling vehicles and no one seems to give a crap. Put a 6000 pound Escalade with 400HP and a 2500 pound NSX with 280HP in front of a lineup of 10 typical Americans and ask them which is the quicker vehicle and I guarantee you they will answer the Escalade. The NSX's failure in America was caused by American vehiclular stupidity. Even with every magazine editory in the world praising the NSX in every way possible, it still didn't sell. I love my country, I surely do, but my people are pretty dumb when it comes to automobiles.

Bill in Brooklyn

6. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    If you think, for even a split second, that an SRT-8 can out run an NSX in anything but a straight line ... you're farther off the deep end that I originally thought.

Bill in Brooklyn

7. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    Isn't that the same car Motor Trend called COTY then admitted to having trouble keeping up with a (not racing) local cement truck when the roads turned twisty?

8. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Exactly why I said "pretty much". =)

Bill in Brooklyn

9. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Bill, this one's dead, I think. ;) ;)

Sunny

10. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Motor Trend's COTY award always goes to new cars that break the mold. The SRT-8 packages great looks with a monster V8, a smooth shifting automatic, and a fantastic price. The average buyer of an SRT-8 doesn't care about the track, or feedback, or high-rpm shreiking. They care about a rumbling V8 with enough torque to jerk the left-front corner up a foot when blipping the throttle in idle. They care about planting their right foot and liquifying rubber. They care about carry 5 people comfortably from point A to point B with a ton of thrust on tap and they take the interstate, not the backroads.

In that market, and for that buyer, the SRT-8 is a great car. But its definately no sports car. I had a 300C for a few weeks in Vegas, and while I do not consider it a sports car, it was pretty fun, practical, and had great looks.

Bill in Brooklyn

11. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    You just don't get it Bill,

A 1973 Porsche 917/30 can eat a 2005 NSX-R for breakfast. Especially on the track.
    32 years later and Honda still can't catch up. Bah :p

12. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Then a 1973 917/30 can eat EVERY porsche besides a 911 Turbo, GT2, GT3 for lunch also. Looks like porsche can't catch up to themselves by your brilliant example. :rolleyes:

13. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Umm .. he was being sarcastic.

Bill in Brooklyn

14. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine