For Sale - Numbers Matching 1968 Pontiac GTO | FerrariChat

For Sale Numbers Matching 1968 Pontiac GTO

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by StanT, Oct 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    1968 Pontiac GTO Hardtop VIN 242378G133949 Asking $45,000
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rare, beautiful Mayfair Maize with Ivory Vinyl Top and Parchment Interior

Completely repainted in 2016, and significant deferred mechanical repairs performed throughout the car over the last two years. Details provided below.

400/350 4BBL with His and Hers Turbo Hydra-matic Transmission.

Numbers matching car. Full PHS documentation including reproduction window sticker.

Factory build sheet included, found above gas tank in September 2019.

It starts, runs, drives and stops great. Sounds great too. Garaged since 2002, at least.

November 2020 compression shows all cylinders 180, 190 and 200.

Everything works - all gauges, power accessories and options. Cold A/C. The radio powers on but reception is iffy.

The interior is virtually original and in very good condition. It shows the patina of cared-for usage of 50 plus years – some wear, some dirt, some scratches. Most notable are dirty spots on top driver's door panel from hanging one's arm out the window.All genuine. Only the driver’s door pull handle, vanity mirror, and the carpeting have been replaced.

Have ownership records back to 1972, a few service records to 1984.

Factory Installed Options:
    351 Turbo Hydra-Matic Transmission w/Hurst His and Hers Shifter
    384 AM/FM radio
    391 Rear seat speaker
    412 Door Edge guards
    422 Visor vanity mirrors - RH & LH
    461 Wheel disks - Deluxe
    472 Console
    484 Cluster and clock - Rally gauge
    501 Power steering – Wonder Touch
    502 Power brakes – Wonder Touch
    521 Disk brakes - front
    531 Soft ray tinted glass – all windows
    551 Power windows
    571 Head restraints – LH & RH
    582 Air conditioning

Added since:
    - Tachometer, hood-mounted
    - Safe-T-Track differential
    - 3.36 performance differential
    - Flowmaster full dual exhaust system with H pipe. Car currently has Flowmaster curved exhaust tips. The chromed straight exhaust tips that were on the car when I bought it go with the car.
    - 14” Rally II wheels
    - Diamondback LS5 225/70-14 redline radial tires. Less than 500 miles on them.
    - Reverb amplifier with hook-up instructions, though not hooked up.
    - Dealer trunk tag from nearby dealer PA that I for shows with leather covered magnets.

After seven years of enjoying this GTO and getting it back to much of its original glory it’s time for someone else to enjoy it. I’ve been a Pontiac guy for decades. My first car, which I bought while in college in 1969, was a red 1963 LeMans convertible with the 326 V8. At the same time my parents had their 2nd Pontiac, a Mayfair Maize LeMans 4 door hardtop with a black vinyl roof and interior.

This car won 3rd place in class at the AACA Sully Plantation Show June 2018, and has won several Peoples’ Choice Awards at local charity car shows.

It comes with many repair and restoration manuals, and period articles and ads, including the 1968 Motor Trend Car of the Year Issue

I and the car are located near Washington Dulles Airport in Virginia.

I have been an avid Car Guy since I was a kid. Not only do I collect and drive fun cars, I collect things that go with them. Here are pictures of models, shirts and advertising items I’ve gotten over the last 6 years. They will be available for whomever buys my GTO at reasonable prices.

All of my receipts add up to almost $60,000. We all know that classic car collecting is usually a money-losing hobby. We fix and improve these cars because they deserve and we enjoy seeing the results. I believe my asking price is reasonable, and I'm open to offers. Of course i can provide many more photos upon request.

Maintenance and upgrades since I bought the car. All work professionally done by vetted, expert technicians.

Date Mileage

May 2014 89,587 Bought Car

July 2014 89,925
    - Driver’s power window motor replaced.
    - Two flexible brake hoses replaced.
    - A/C system leak checked, purged and recharged.
    - Cooling fan rewired.

June 2015 90,208
    - Flowmaster exhaust system installed.
    - Alternator and all 4 rear link bushings replaced.

June - December 2016 90,620
    - Complete repaint, original color, with 7 layers of primer, paint and clear coat after being taken down to bare metal. Surface work done as needed.
    - Rear bumper rechromed.
    - Rust holes in lower front windshield frame and cowl repaired.
    - All 5 wheels painted.
    - Hood tachometer installed and painted.
    - Carpets, door and trunk weather-stripping and window felts replaced.

I have more than 200 photos of this 6 month process. The shop took about 150, and they allowed me to stop by and take photos any time I wanted. I took about 60.

May 2018 90,781
    - Five Diamondback LS5 225/70-14 Red stripe tires installed, including spare on used Rally II wheel
    April 2019 90,906
    - Heater core replaced.

September 2019 90,944
    - Exhaust manifolds removed, refinished, metalized and replaced, using all new gaskets and bolts.
    - Carburetor rebuilt.
    - All rubber fuel lines in engine compartment and at gas tank, and fuel filter replaced.
    - Front calipers, rear wheel cylinders and master brake cylinder replaced. Brake system flushed and bled.
    - Idler arm replaced.
    - Car aligned.
    - Original 2.93 open rear-end replaced with 3.36 posi rear end, using all new rear axle bearings and seals
    - Spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, points and condenser replaced, and timing reset.
    - A/C compressor and belt replaced. System converted to R-134A.
    - Clock sent out for repair and re-installed.
    - Fuel gauge sending unit replaced.
    - Oil pressure sending unit replaced.
    - Left horn button repaired

May 2020 91,050
    - Battery replaced.
    - Heater fan switch replaced
    - Surface rust on trunk floor removed, treated with POR-15, and repainted with correct speckle paint.
    - Speedometer conversion box installed and calibrated;

August 2020 91,158
    - HVAC system switch wiring repaired, including replacing blower motor resistor.
    - Windshield washer pump and wiper blades replaced.
    - Trunk floor refinishing completed.
    - Trunk weatherstripping replaced.

March 2021 91,256
    - Transmission pan gasket, oil filter base gasket and right side valve cover gasket replaced.
    - Power steering high pressure hose replaced.
    - Transmission tailshaft seal replaced.

Ownership History
    1. Manufactured in Framingham, MA, 4th week of May, 1968.
    2. Delivered to Marsh Pontiac, Ardmore, PA, June, 1968.
    3. Pennsylvania title issued June 24, 1968.
    4. Pennsylvania title issued Feb. 11, 1972 to Mr. Turner, Clifton Heights, PA.
    5. Mr. Turner’s widow authorizes Philadelphia Independent Dealer to sell car, April 22, 2002.
    6. Mr. Inverso, West Chester, PA, purchases car from Independent Dealer, May 24, 2002. Mr. Inverso co-owned a small auto restoration shop with his brother. Car always garaged.
    7. Pennsylvania title issued June 6, 2002 to Mr. Inverso.
    8. Current owner inspects and puts deposit on purchase of car from Mr. Inverso, March 31, 2014.
    9. Current owner takes delivery of car and drives it to Vienna, VA, May 22, 2014.
    10. Virginia title issued May 23, 2014.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A really fine example...GLWS!

I had the hood tach on my 1967 Firebird convertible and it was almost the coolest part of the car!

Babes jumping in at the beach, might have out ranked the tach...LOL!

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I had a 1968 Firebird and lusted for one with a hood tac. Agree, that was one of the coolest features . Didn't care for my car being referred as "Firechicken" by jealous Camaro owners :)

one4torque likes this.
  4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    My first car. 68 GTO.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. cobmw

cobmw Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 22, 2006
    Rocky Mountain area
    Me too. My first new car bought when I was 22. My dad thought I was nuts. Mine was that sort of military-looking green with a vinyl top. It was on the showroom floor with a three-speed and I insisted on getting a four-speed which the dealer installed. But the stinkin dealer on Van Nuys Blvd failed to match the rear end ratio with the four speed. So it never performed well from a standing start. It had disc brakes in front with drums in back. You could get the car backwards if you stopped too fast.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    PRICE REDUCED -- ASKING $42,000 -- BELOW PROFESSIONAL APPRAISAL

Cotton likes this.
  7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I just popped back in, to look at the dash gauges and go down memory lane....

For those looking on these cars with enough room would go well past that 120MPH mark, in fact I was (admittedly downhill) on the Galveston Causeway when i looked and realized I was at "about 132MPH" and realized the front end was lifting from the pavement.

(Firebirds had no factory Nose Lip spoiler, but any race mods realized they needed it, especially the Drag Strip.)

I know you can go "the Auction Route" but IMO this car parked with normal FOR SALE signs and a telephone number would get your ask.

There's a famous South Austin drummer that rocks a Pontiac Tempest of similar vintage.
    Hot Rods and Hatters would be the big Spring Show.

one4torque likes this.