News

Nutrition for lifting thread

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Chupacabra, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    As requested in my pistol squat thread, here we are!

I have some things to contribute, but no time at the moment. Everyone else, have at it! I'm sure we will all love to see what you're doing that is working for you.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well I’ve been blessed with a great metabolism, so my weight gain or even body fat has always been pretty good.

Where I’ve had issues is crazy heartburn, a result of my eating habits (I was eating every 2 hours to keep my weight up).

I was successful in cutting that out - no more heartburn and I’m now getting pretty cut.

Skidkid likes this.
  4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I have always been pretty simple. I eat pretty well overall but as I got older we modified our diet some. Generally dinner is 2 vegetables and a protein. We have potatoes, rice, bread, etc but not every night. I don't generally drink during the week but I do appreciate a cocktail on the weekend. I control total intake to stay in a calorie range to maintain weight. Lately, I have added protein (using Isopure) and raised my calorie intake a bit. That has helped me push through the prior plateau.

I am definitely gaining strength but weight is only up about 2 lb. It appears that I have driven general body fat lower and my weight belt goes one notch tighter. BUT I still have a bit around the middle. If I want to get rid of the bit around the middle I think I am going to have to get serious about a controlled diet.

I can tell you a bit of age does impact your weight gain and recovery. What worked easily at 40 doesn't work as well as I close on 60 in a few more months.

Obviously I am not very strict. How strict are you guys? Do you focus on macro nutrient mix or do you also detail micronutrients?

rdefabri likes this.
  5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Eat Clen, Tren hard, Anavar give up. lol jk

I've gotten out of shape the last year and need to go back on my old diet which was pretty strict with the calorie source breakdown: 40% from protein, 40% from carbs, and 20% from fat. That worked for me, but I had access to a good gym back then...not anymore. Would probably be a waste to do that and not have my old workout routine.

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Gyms are open here and I would expect them to open in most places over the next month or so. Get a trainer and go for it. I just finished a deload and Friday I hit a new PR on bench.

My trainer keeps telling me to eat more. I am 6'6" 205lb. Overall my body fat is low and muscles are ripped but I could drop a little around the middle. I really need to clean up my diet to get that into shape. I tend toward macros like you but am wondering if there is benefit in considering a bit more detail.

7. To remove this ad click here.