Nuts - I’ve looked all over and... nothing. Germany? | FerrariChat

Nuts - I’ve looked all over and... nothing. Germany?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vincenzo, Dec 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    looking for:

PN: 163534

M12x1.25 DIN982 Class 8 Nylon Locking Hex Nut - preferably in a yellow cad finish

This is the tall nylon lock nut that secures the rear subframe to the chassis. Newco products carries it in a Class 10, but a Class 8 is needed for this application.

Perhaps a German Supplier?

Any help appreciated.

2. haudimal

haudimal Rookie

Dec 10, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ralph Bauer
    superformance offers this:

19mm Spanner Size Nut
    M12 x 1.25mm nyloc nut
    High quality yellow nyloc nut, made to replace original OEM parts fitted in period.

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    As a side note... if folks have interest, here is why these nuts should be replaced at each service and why a Class 10 (harder) nut from Newco cannot be substituted for a Class 8. This also demonstrates why the ‘tall’ DIN 982 nut is required.

Check out the last few paragraphs.

Attached Files:

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    BTW:
    These vital chassis nuts are rarely if ever replaced during a typical engine out service. Note the second to last paragraph and ask yourself... “do I really want to go 180mph in this 30 year old car.”:

It reads:

On a demonstration with a ½-13 zinc plated SAE J429 Grade 5 hex cap screw and zinc plated SAE J995 Grade 5 hex nut with an installation torque of 70 ft-lbs to obtain a clamp load of 9000 lbs (without any added lubrication). On the second installation, this torque had increased to 95 ft-lbs to obtain 9000 lbs. By the fourth installation, we required 145 ft-lbs to reach a clamp load of 9000 lbs.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    here in europe we don´t know the class 10 or class 8. it says for example 10/9 or 12/9. but those numbers are only stamped on the screws, not on the nuts. but both nuts are available here in germany at my supplier. problem is: 12/9 only not plated, 10/9 plated in silver/chrome

so class 10 is better/stronger than class 8?

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    The guys at Superformance answered my email.... based on their info, the nuts they sell are DIN 985 Class 8. The OEM nut is DIN 982. Below is the dimensional info.

Their M12 nut is 2mm too short. I’ll need to do more research to see if it is an adequate substitution.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    EU DIN nuts are marked with their grade number stamped on their bottom mating surface. The most typical values you’ll find on a TR are 8 (mild steel) and 10 (hardened steel). Here are the specifics.

9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Here is a stress strain curve to illustrate Proof Load. In essence, it is the maximum safe load to ensure that the fastener does not permanently deform

10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Over torque is worse than under torque?

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Anybody here ever had their engine fall out of the car after 30 years using the same bolts and nuts?

JLF, brian.s and turbo-joe like this.
  12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Both Imperial and Metric bolts have classes. I believe an Imperial/SAE Class 8 = Metric 8.8.
    Depends on the application. A higher class bolt is stronger than a 8, but it will also bend less then the 8. And, there are times you prefer a slight "give" vs a hard break... Which is will you'll see class 5 bolts used sometimes, instead of all 8.

Another tip: torquing a nylock nut distorts the thread locks...that's how it locks. Reusing them means the nut is already compromised.

turbo-joe likes this.
  13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    That sounds like a good PhD thesis subject. I suspect the short answer is ‘it depends’.

turbo-joe likes this.
  14. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    With some 28 or so main bolts securing the subframe it is an attestation to Ferrari’s robust engineering. That said however, it is well documented how nuts loose more of their ability to properly secure a joint with each reuse.

I hear your point however - it is a trade off. How much $ does the new hardware cost compared to the cost of failure. If it is a critical joint on the space shuttle - use new hardware each time. If it is a Ferrari structural component.... perhaps every 30 years (7 to 10 or so remakes) makes sense.

The need and timing for replacement is arguable... even amoung experts.

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    So...you bring your car in for an engine out service. It's already expensive. Now let's add all new correct hardware to the bill..say it's an extra $1000 bucks, just in case your engine decides to fall out of the car. You good with that? May be more as there are 20 bolts and 26 nuts holding that drivetrain in the chassis. Factory correct parts are not cheap.

Let's look at this from a real perspective shall we? You think that 250 gt swb has all new hardware in a 10 million dollar car? I'll bet not..

turbo-joe likes this.
  16. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Exactly right. I got a chuckle seeing the timing belt cover nuts (M10) being a Class 10 and the chassis nuts (M12) being a Class 8. No doubt it is because of the very reason you cite. Ferrari definately overdesigns!

Just to be clear.... I am using the DIN version of ‘Class’ and not the SAE version of ‘Grade’. Regardless, your point is equally valid.

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I get your point..but let's not over think this.

18. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #18 vincenzo, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    For the most part, just the nuts ‘may’ merit replacement. The trick is knowing exactly what you need and then finding a supplier. If it adds $100 to the price of a major, I’d be surprised. Even less if a plain silver cad is acceptable rather than the Ferrari yellow.

Example - these M6 Class 10 nuts are commonly used on the Testarossa and they cost only 17 cents each.
    Yup, I have more than I need! Every shop should have these on hand as well.

Besides... fresh yellow cad hardware makes the engine compartment turn into eye candy when compared to 30 year old, corroded nuts that have lost most of their cad plating over time.

Attached Files:

thorn likes this.
  19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Agree..fresh hardware looks awsome, and takes the car to the next level.

However, let's not put fear into people about the age of their nuts and bolts. Most competent techs will know if peice of hardware needs to be replaced. You can actually feel it when torquing a fastener down that it is not doing its job. Ferrari uses extremely high quality fasteners.

turbo-joe and vincenzo like this.
  20. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  21. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Sometimes a Grade 5 in suspension bolts will bend, when a Grade 8 will snap!

turbo-joe and vincenzo like this.
  22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    suspensions bolts always have stress because of parts moving. the frame bolts or the parts those bolts keep together are not moving

thorn likes this.
  23. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Nuts and bolts normally don't wear out unless they get abused when they are broken out or made up (I admit that some suspension bolts can wear out). I think that changing out nuts or bolts (Or any other stuff) that are undamaged on a classic Ferrari to hardware that are not original is bad business for many reasons. First of all, the cost to buy the new hardware is high, secondly the car will drop in value in the eyes of any buyer that are used to operate within the classic Ferrari segment.

24. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Please read the enclosed pdf shown in post #4.

There are many other sources on the internet that document how nuts lose their effective fastening strength with each re-use.

Here is a quote from the pdf:
    “On a demonstration with a ½-13 zinc plated SAE J429 Grade 5 hex cap screw and zinc plated SAE J995 Grade 5 hex nut with an installation torque of 70 ft-lbs to obtain a clamp load of 9000 lbs (without any added lubrication). On the second installation, this torque had increased to 95 ft-lbs to obtain 9000 lbs. By the fourth installation, we required 145 ft-lbs to reach a clamp load of 9000 lbs.”

Let me rephrase that quote:
    1st torque - 70 ft-lbs to reach the designed 9000lbs of clamping force
    2nd torque - 95 ft-lbs to reach design
    4th torque - 145 ft-lbs to reach design - MORE THAN TWICE THE ORIGINAL TORQUE

Unfortunately, a tech can’t just keep upping the torque levels to get the designed clamping force. He cannot typically even measure the clamping force! He has no idea how many times the fastener has been retorqued. He has no idea on how much torque he needs to apply. If he always applies the workshop manual’s specified torque.... the CLAMPING FORCE is reduced with each re-torque of the fastener.

Effectively, the joint remains ‘loose’ even if it is torqued to spec.

Connecting rod assemblies routinely fail in this manner. This is why engineers have developed new techniques to more accurately measure “clamping force”:
    http://www.performanceenginetech.com/connecting-rod-bolts-stretch-vs-torque/

Remember:
    The engineers calculate their “designed clamping force” and then cite the ORIGINAL fastener and torque levels to achieve the required clamping force.

So, in layman’s terms - nuts DO IN FACT ‘wear out’. It is a proven engineering fact.

BTW:
    Please do not misunderstand my intent. I do not in any way suggest that fasteners be changed out with something ‘different’.... but rather, just ‘new’ versions of the identical OEM fastener.

I hope that helps.....

thorn likes this.
  25. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    So how does this apply to our wheel bolts which are probably the most reused of all along with the plates they mount to?

turbo-joe likes this.