O/T - Would anyone consider buying an XJ220 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

O/T - Would anyone consider buying an XJ220

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by EK3R, Mar 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. D11VE:J

D11VE:J Formula 3

Nov 9, 2004
    Too late mate that was 4th March, I could not wait a whole year, not even for a XK220 as a gift. What was the other sports GT racer Jaguar brought out around that time, they raced it at Le Mans I think? I'd have one of those if you can find one.

D11VE:J

2. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    XJR15

and you won't get 1 of those as a freebie, you ungrateful s*d !

3. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Thats right Davy - thanks for reminding me - it handed the Zondas its own ass I seeem to recall.

Couldn't understand on the basis of that performance why everyone here is slagging the XJ220 so badly.

4. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    The Zonda is a f-ing quick car, the 220 trounced it.
    That makes the XJ220 one very handy piece of kit.
    The most amazing thing is, the XJ220 it is what, 10 years old?

5. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    It could be that the 220 is the size of a small bungalow, and costs about the same to service! I think most of us would feel a little let down to order a 4 wheel drive V12 supercar and find a rear drive V6 waiting in the showroom a couple of years later! And no interest on your 50 grand deposit while you waited, either!

6. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    Back in its day the car suffered with its problems, but in this day and age, it's not like it's now a slow car. I was amazed at how well the car done compared to the Zonda.

7. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    And the point is it was only £66k - not £150k or whatever Granges wanted.

8. D11VE:J

D11VE:J Formula 3

Nov 9, 2004
    The Jaguar XJR15 is a super looking car I recall, I would buy one if it had no engine.

M8 the only reason I rejected your XJ220 was that you said it would be for my birthday, that is 12 months away. I could not stand having to drive the bloody Ford Anglia for 12 more months waiting for your freebie.

Ungrateful = never,
    Desperate for a good motor = always.

Come to the meet on Sunday and I'll let you drive me Anglia and then you will see what I am talking about.

D11VE:J

9. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    And sit in the outside lane of the motorway.

10. Ferrari Mackintosh

Ferrari Mackintosh Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    XJ220 is a gorgeous looking beast but the only thing that would stop me owning one if i had the money, is the dreadful sound it makes or the lack of it. It sounds very tame to my ears. i wonder if there is an aftermarket sports exhaust available for it? If yes what does it sound like?

11. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    You could always have one made.

Or follow the of advise SteveF and have a big hole drilled in the front section.

12. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Would love to, but I fear I may be overwhelmed by the power! I only drive a pathetic little V8 car, AND it's bog-standard! No Tubi (I honestly thought all modern tyres were tubeless) and certainly no Capristo (I gave up cigars years ago anyway), and the only diners who would eat off my engine are bag ladies!
    So as you can see, I'd be a bit out of my depth and about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit!

13. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Havnt bought the car but have bought a rear wheel for £100 on e-bay. For the games room, with a bit of glass etc and presto, a table. Use to be used in Jag factory as an umbrella stand, madness! I like it anyway!!!

Tried to post pics but bmp files dont work!

14. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
  15. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    If I had the money, an XJ220 would be sitting in my garage. Service, Schmervice. The thing has a built, twin-turbo V6. Advances in turbo tech over the past 15 years have been huge and it would not be hard to reduce the maintenance required and increase power at the same time. The dynamics of the car would not be hard to fix either and the XJ220 has been used to good effect in races in the past. I can't believe all of you guys whining about the problems it has. You act like once you buy a car, it is impossible to change anything about it. At the current price, this is a true supercar that I wouldn't mind modding.

16. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Now's your chance then ;)

17. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
  18. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    How Does Robert get hold of these cars is what I want to know? Although JD Classics is not too far from where he is located, so I guess that's the connection in this case...

The XJR15 is by all accounts a ***** to drive, hence the reason they all sustained damage and why I believe at least one was written off by a magazine

19. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Is he the guy on Pheads, Poorcardealer?

20. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    Nope Tony - that's Matt. As it happens, whilst I've always known ELMS as Robert - I cannot now be sure that they are one and the same...he does look in on FChat so may reveal his identity to us...

21. elms

elms Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    DCS
    Hello..........and who the hell is Robert? ;)

22. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    Hello Dion ;-)