OBD port on 599 a bit too tight | FerrariChat

OBD port on 599 a bit too tight

Discussion in '612/599' started by Skidkid, Sep 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This is basically a rant so I don't expect anything in the way of answers. That said, I tried to plug my code reader into my 599 and it wouldn't go. After some inspection and a lot of fiddling, I decided that the gap between the pins and the outside of the plug doesn't match my standard reader. I got out a razor knife an trimmed at my connector (the one on my code reader), it got better. I went through a few iterations and it got better each time but still not a full connect. I ran out of patience so I stopped for the day but I can see where others have struggled with the connection. It isn't quite as standard as it is supposed to be.

2. Chagrin

Chagrin Rookie

Mar 30, 2022
    Chester County, PA
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I've had no issues with multiple devices, and when the shop plugs in to do emissions testing, their equipment doesn't have an issue plugging in either. ‍♂️

3. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
    You might need to get an OBD extinsion cable that is small enough to fit in the OBD port.

Attached Files:

Skidkid likes this.
  4. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I hadn't any problems too.

Like AJ said, the connection is sitting very deep, so a lean extension could help.

Daniel

5. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Same here, never had any issues …

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    My connector is slightly smaller inside than the OBD port. And I mean slightly, like maybe .005 smaller. It fits on the outside so the depth isn't an issue. I used a razor knife to skim off a tiny amount on the inside of my readers plug. That got me 90% of the way there; I just need to make sure my trimming is cleaned up all the way down to the bottom and I should be GTG.

I used this reader with my 360 and it worked fine so I am not saying the port is wrong. I am just noting that I now understand why some people have had issues. And yes, my mechanic has no issues with his. I suspect it is just a casting difference on the reader.

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    it is a tight fit and hard to see. but patients is the key.