obfuscating number plates: why? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

obfuscating number plates: why?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ashsimmonds, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    gesundheit!

2. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    "i don't know, it just seems there's greater things to worry about than some mega-nerd coveting your car on a web page... but i understand of course, even small measures are better than none."

That's a good point, and I changed an ad to reflect these sentiments. You really can't be too careful these days. Thanks for the helpful thread.

3. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    The California DMV will and *must* release the info unless you have a good reason to stop them. They will notify the person that their info was released though. From the horses mouth:

"California Vehicle Code (CVC) section 1810 allows the public to obtain your DMV information by filling out the Request for Driver License/Identification Card Information or the Request for Vehicle/Vessel Registration Information form (INF 70D/70R) and submitting a $5 fee for each request. These forms can be obtained at any DMV field office or by calling 1 (800) 777-0133.

"CVC section 1810 (b) requires the department to notify you of the request and give you the opportunity to object to the release of your information. DMV will delay the release of your information for 10 days to provide you with the opportunity to object. Your objection is reviewed to determine whether to release the information depending on what is stated in your objection."

I don't know whether saying "my car is very valuable and they are probably trying to find out where I park it so they can take it" is a good enough objection or not. Of course the person asking for the info has to give their personal info to the DMV but that could be fake.

4. g60racer

g60racer Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brendan Prout
    Dr S!!!!! How many other RPFers are here on the F-car boards? :)

5. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Only one I think! But you know, this might not really be me!!!

DrS