Odyssey PC925 battery @ 4.9V after 1 week?!?!?! | FerrariChat

Odyssey PC925 battery @ 4.9V after 1 week?!?!?!

Discussion in '360/430' started by RedNeck, Nov 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I went out of town on business, just 1 week. I charged the battery 100% and then left it off the charger. I didn't use the disconnect since it was only a week. I expected it to be low when I got back and maybe take a day or 2 to charge back up, but when I plugged it in I got an error, and then I measure the voltage at 4.9?!?!? I don;t think it's any kind of parasitic drain with the car itself, as I did not have any problems with my previous battery other than some error light temper tantrums and this Odyssey is only 4 months old.

I have an email into Odyssey, but more importantly, can a battery that low on voltage cause any issues with the car itself? I turned off the switch and wont be turning it back on until I can either recharge the battery or get Odyssey to send me a new one.

2. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Sadly I believe the PC925 is just too small capacity to run the electronics that are constantly draining power on the 360 with the engine off which are;
    1. Bosch Immobilizer Unit (which also listens for Remote Control keyfob blips
    2. Bosch Ignition ECU's powering the left and right banks (pair of)
    3. You may also have a tracking system draining current too...

Before I moved onto Lithium batteries I found the PC1100 much more suitable and it could last much longer despite only being 1.5 pounds heavier (i.e. virtually nothing) it boasts 48Ah @ vs 28Ah's of the 925 which made all the difference. I never reached more than 2 or 3 days with the 925 which was just useless to me...

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Agree with 360 trev above. Though, I'd still check for a drain somewhere. I've left mine alone unplugged for 2, almost 3 weeks and she starts right up. Stereo amps or other electronics draining it?

4. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I bought into that Odyssey battery too based on all the posts here on Fchat. It doesn't work. Just go get a big battery.

5. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I put the 1500 in mine and it holds up very well if I forget to put the charger on it.

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    So I had a long conversation with Bruce from Odyssey, it seems like the PC925 is the absolute wrong battery for our cars, and he was very surprised to hear it was a popular model among Ferrari owners. So basically using a tender on these batteries is just barely keeping the thing alive while the standby current is sucking the life out of them. It's rated Ah is about of third of what our cars require. How in the world did this particular battery get popular with 360's? If I had been a little more educated on batteries I would have never chosen this particular model. He did say that the battery is most likely recoverable since it's only been a week.

I won't be putting this battery back in, but I'm just hoping that there was no damage caused to the electrical system in the car.

whatheheck likes this.
  7. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I used one for a battery cycle (3.5 years) to test it out and it worked great for me. I left my car off a charger for a couple weeks each year while being serviced. I have a gated so there is no pump system priming my hydraulics when I open the door and I had it on a Granite Digital charger 100% of the time, still do now! I did change back over to a full size after reading that lot's of folks were having issues. I am using the big fat super heavy Odyssey now just to be in compliance. Plus one fine day I am going to install a bad ass stereo and don't want any unknowns going forward.

8. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    I have a pc1200 odessey i will use [​IMG]

9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Mine is also gated, no amp or other electronics...BUT Bruce also said that the Deltran charger I use is not recommended for their brand and the fact that I left it connected to the charger, just unplugged probably played more of a part in draining the battery than the car..

10. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I double checked my records for this battery and I installed on 2/3/14 and replaced it on 3/19/17. It worked well for me with the stock standard stereo and gated car with 100% connection to the Save a Battery maintainer. I am running the Odyssey 34R-PC1500 now and like any of the full size AGM batteries it is a very tight fit. and I have an improvised battery hold down due to space constraints. I am running a tie down strap around the battery and lower plate. I wish Shorai would make a battery for us.

11. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    My results have been better. I replaced a 9 year old PC925 just because I thought I should. It never failed to start the car. That was 2 years ago.

I plug it in after a couple days of non-use though and I don't lock the car in my garage. I use a non-approved Shumacher maintainer. I think it may undercharge it slightly. Resting voltage on the Odyssey batteries is 12.85 vs 12.9 (I think) for lead acid.

12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Just an update...I just ordered a 34R-PC1500T, which is the correct spec battery for our car, it was $300, but Odyssey provided me with a decent discount. I guess I will keep the 925 in my frunk for a spare.

Kevin Rev'n and cpep like this.
  13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I used the PC1500 in my F355 spider, it is a brute at 800CCA. Great battery, had it for years, and sold the car with it

14. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Let us know how you get on with mounting it. I see some guys report that they just bought longer J hooks and problem solved but I do not recall this being an option for me. Any longer was an interference with the cover installation. I am curious.

15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I had a 96R before this and I used that standard J hooks but had to fabricate a hold down for it. For the PC925 I had to cut the J hooks and run a tap down them further. Will let you know, probably wont be here till late next week.

16. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I didn't modify or change anything to install it on the 430. It fit just fine. Is the 360 battery compartment that different.