OEM vs after market exhausts | FerrariChat

OEM vs after market exhausts

Discussion in '360/430' started by Dave355, Oct 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave355

Dave355 Rookie

Oct 4, 2004
    Hi guys

This is not a question about which aftermarket exhausts are "best" as that topic seems to have been debated to death.
    A lot people seem to claim that aftermkt exhaust improve the performance of the car.
    My question is what makes people think that aftermarket manufacturers can produce a better exhaust system than Ferrari themselves, with all their manufacturing experience and world leading R&D expertise.

I appreicate that all Ferrari road cars are developed these days with various legislative constraints such as noise and emissions, and also durability/ reliability being traded off against pure performance criteria.

But are owners who buy these products really getting something subjectively better for their cars without loosing something which ferrari deemed to be perfectly designed for that specific engine.

Tho my personal view on the best sound is irrelevant to this discussion i actually find the tubis and capristos of this world irritatingly loud and intrusive on my 360 at low rpm, and at high rpm the OEM exhausts sounds potently "ferrari" and intoxicating.

2. bbrooking

bbrooking Rookie

Sep 30, 2005
    Quite. I doubt you'd get any figures out of an after-market manufacturer pointing to any serious improvement in bhp/torque

3. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    Ferrari must design their cars for the "least common demoninator" of legislative requiriements around the world. As to exhausts, this probably means reducing the noise level at certain rpms to levels that they would not ordinarily do. To the extent that the additional noise supression affects performance, that performance, if any, would be reclaimed with an aftermarket exhaust. With a 375 hp car like an F355, I doubt if any performance gain could be felt. However, I have heard of an individual who claims to have witnessed a 15 to 18 hp increase in hp over stock (verified via Dyno) by switching an F355 to a Tubi. The Tubi also is lighter than the stock system and runs cooler.

I have recently put a Tubi on my 1995 F355. I love the sound. I cannot verify any performance increase but I can state that the engine compartment feels noticeably less hot immediatley after being driven.