OFFICIAL 1970-1989 RACING PHOTO THREAD | Page 3 | FerrariChat

OFFICIAL 1970-1989 RACING PHOTO THREAD

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RP, Jan 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    There has to be a good story behind this :D
    Ron Paul '08

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Just remembered the story and added it to the post. As you get older, memory fails. Add to that two incredible rear end collisions I have dealt with in 4 years, and one's thoughts get jumbled up.

Now, none of my friends will ride with me in my car. :{

3. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #53 RP, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, last photo for tonight.

In earlier years when more manufacturers were involved in NASCAR than just Chevy, Ford, Toyota, and Dodge; like Buick, Pontiac, Plymouth, even American Motors, these manufactureres would rent Daytona in January for a period before the 500 for testing.

So I was asked to go to go during the week that Buick had the track, something about a new race magazine, get a cover shot of Bobby Allison. In his car. OK.

Allison's crew chief for the Miller Beer Buick was the best cheater at that time in NASCAR, Gary Nelson. So good that NASCAR made him VP in charge of tech. I mean fuel supply in the roll bar, body formed to be aerodynamic but still meet the templates. Only Smokey Yunick was better, and if you do not know who Smokey Yunick is, you are missing the best race car builder bar none in all of racing history. If he built F1's, they would destroy the competition. He was the ultimate in reading rule books. Used to say, "says you can't do this, but it doesn't say you can't do that". His coup was a Chevelle that was 3/4 the size of the actual Chevelle yet still met the templates, and when it flipped over at Charlotte with Curtiss Turner driving, the bottom was flatter than a current F1 car. NASCAR changed the rules immediately.

Back to Allison at Daytona. I asked Gary if I could get into Bobby's car and go up pit lane. There was enough contrast in the sky that no one could tell we were on pit lane and not on the track. He said he would ask Bobby.

Bobby agreed. The start of my skid mark underwear day.

So I climb into the Miller Buick passenger side, no seat of course, no seat belts. Remember the earlier story in thei post about the young dumb asses on turn one of Michigan International? I am one of them. Here I go again. I sit on the floor pan, three cameras each with different lenses. So Bobby starts up pit lane, I am happily shooting away, then he looks at me with an SEG (s*** eating grin), and suddenly, I hear a loud bang, and the car feels like we are gong upside down.

He decides to scare the bejesus out of me and go for a spin around Daytona. Up those 31 degree banks. The g forces keep me from looking out the windshield, but I can see out the back window. Now I am getting nervous, really nervous, I fidget with my cameras, and oh crap, I knock the lenses off of two of them. So with the one camera I am shooting photos of Bobby Allison while I am pressed on the floor of the Miller Buick going around Daytona at speed. The shot below is the one I kept. Vertical because it was intended to be the cover shot of what ever magazine for which I was shooting.

As we left the back straight, which for me that day was way too long and never ending, I looked at Bobby, motioned for him to give the thumbs sign which he did, thinking afterwards we were somewhere between turns 3 and 4 and he is driving with one hand? Later I was told we were doing well over 160mph.

So Allison is laughing at this time, at my expense. We pull into the pits, Nelson walks up to the car laughing to help me out and asks if I am OK. I tried to be cool and told him yes but I did not bring a change of underwear. Again laughter at my expense. The NASCAR officials at that time of the series were usually old guys, friends of Bill France. They came over and started a lecture about how what Bobby did was against the rules, and how I was not strapped in, and all they got in return was a big smile from Allison and Nelson. Seeing that was worth the experience.

There are great race driver personalities, Bobby Allison is one of them. He lost two sons to the sport.

Two years ago, I finally told this story publically to Bobby's brother Donnie at a book signing. More laughter. At the story or at me?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I'm not sure what are better, the pictures or the stories that go along with them.
    Ron Paul '08

5. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I am feeling a little alone here. Or is it I am a bit old here and no one else remembers? There has got to more of you with photos from this wonderful period of motorsports?

Please, start posting, would love to see more photos.

6. jd121

jd121 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jasen
    Ron's stories are always great in my opinion, I wish could have had these cool experiences like you, but there aren't hiring any 14 year old Formula 1 photographers at the moment.

7. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #57 RP, Jan 23, 2008
    Jasen, you are quite good at photography, in a few years, they will be hiring you. All I can tell you is that you do not become a race photog for the money, it is absolutely for the love of the sport. To be able to be in the pits and stand next to a Stewart (Jackie not Tony), a Revson, a real Bruce McLaren, a Jim Hall, a Fireball Roberts (I was only 2), and an AJ Foyt, even a complete jerk like Salt Walther, was worth every aching muscle and 12 hour drive.

I hope for you someday you will show us your photos of the next few WDC's (Massa of course) and currently young drivers like Piquet, Senna, etc. Your reward will not be money, but to be so fortunate to be able to tell stories like I can.

Geez, just being able to remember is a good thing. Thank God I can still get erections. I mean like in those building sets, of course.

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #58 RP, Jan 24, 2008
  9. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Ron if you have any of these pics in high resolution (I know they are coming from a scanner) I would love them for my desktop background.
    Thanks once again for a great thead. Ron Paul 08

10. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.

The great Gilles Villeneuve.

11. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Totally in awe of the photos and stories in this thread and I'll be first in line to buy the hardcover edition of the compilation. Just incredible.

Due to the stories and photos I remember from my brothers' collection of old MT, C/D,R/T,SCG, HR and Circle Track magazines, every time I peruse this thread, something jumps out at me. The Giacobazzi on GV'S suit, the Matador in Nascar, Smokey's Gold and Black 3/4 66 #13 Turner Chevelle, the Chrysler Pentastar on Amon's Matra? (..thought the Star was only seen on two teams from the 90's..). Somewhere, I have terrible photos of barely recognizable EuroBruns, Zakspeeds, the Life, AGS, Onyx and other mid/back of the pack cars from the late 80's and 90's, all from CGV. I will post if I can find them (might have lost them in between far too many moves...;-(

One photo I know that one of my siblings has still haunts me. My father took us all to the CGP (can't remember the year) and I asked my brother if he knew who one of ,perhaps, three drivers was, to drive on the back of a convertible during the parade lap. He said he didn't know but because there were so few drivers riding around, he took a pic of the young, bespectacled man waving sheepishly to the crowd. About half an hour later, we saw a horrific accident occur at the start with tragic consequences for the unknown driver, Riccardo Paletti.

12. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    If it was a Can-Am race after he retired, it was probably in a Carl Haas Lola, I think the vacuum cleaner was gone by then...

13. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    No, they are more in-tune with hiring drivers that look like 14 yr old photographers...

14. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #64 RP, Jan 24, 2008
    Yes, he drove the Lola for some time, but anyone out there with a better memory help me. I know Jackie drove Jim Hall's car in one or two races, I thought the one at Mid-Ohio was with the Chaparral. The photo below is not mine, but it is Jackie in the vacuum cleaner, aka sucker car, at Watkins Glen in 1970:

15. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #65 RP, Jan 24, 2008
    Michael, thank for pointing out that photo was of Giles. I have to get that printed and framed. We were each assigned certain drivers to be sure there photgraphs of all of them. I usually got Andretti, Lauda, Hunt, and Jackie Stewart. I wish I had asked for GV.

The only Long Beach stories I can remember tonight concern a young lady in one of those black jump suits and that is personal. I do remember that I never liked the setting.

OK, all the Long Beach I can find for now together (is #11 Reuteman?):

16. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    its a good thread

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes #11 is Carlos Reuteman. Great photos!

18. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #68 RP, Jan 25, 2008
    I was at Watkins Glen the year the "boggies" hijacked a double decker bus full of Brazilian tourist's luggage, and drove the bus into The Bog. At that point, since the bus was stuck in the mud, it was torched, as those were the rules of The Bog.

If you do not know what "The Bog" is, let me explain. It was an area in the infield that perpetually was a muddy bog. The tradition was if a drunken Glen camper ("boggie" - pronounced boh ghee) drove their car into the bog an they could not get out, the car was destroyed in a heathen ceremony on Saturday night.

So this one year , they decided hijacking a tour bus was a good idea. When they were done, the next morning the bus was on its top, but no, about 36" tall. Glen management ended The Bog tradition the following year.

A Watkins Glen rainy start (James Hunt leading):

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Let me add to the chores of thanks for this thread. It does take you back. Just seeing all those people in the stands is a hoot compared to today's races.

Dale

PS How are you doing? I hope everything is mending well.

20. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Thanks for asking Dale. Doing OK, can play the key boards, a little tough to write, but everything happens for a reason. Just can't figure this one out yet. ;}

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well just remember to keep the rubber side down and the shinny side up, or it is the rubber side up, or, huh, whut was that? No, no, no, it went a-wop bop a-loo bop a-lop bam boom, not a-wop-pappa-do-lop...

Glad you're doing better.

Dale

22. TooTall

TooTall Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Kurt O.
    #72 TooTall, Jan 26, 2008
    Great thread. I'll throw some into the mix. I never ventured very far out of So Cal. but I think I may have rubbed elbows with Tifosiron a few times. All photos are copyright Kurt Oblinger and may not be used without permission.

Cheers,
    Kurt O.

23. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Kurt, beautiful photos. The only California races I attended was Long Beach when it was F1, and Ontario when they had the F1/Indy car event, I forgot the name, something like Quest GP?? I wasn't old enough to drive when I got my first assignment, sort of faked the age, it was a TransAm race at MidOhio where this silly silver Pontiac GTO taught the factory teams a few lessons.

Some kids wanted alcohol, I wanted the smell of gasoline! I was just out of high school when I started this full time in the summers, so not really getting paid to stand next to my favorite drivers was absolutely OK.

More photos please.

24. Lindsay_Ross

Lindsay_Ross Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    Holy hell, I love this thread. I always knew I was born in the wrong decade, and hearing Ron's stories especially make us young folks yearn for a return to the most glorious time of motorsports. With Max's butchering of F1 being what I've spent most of my life witnessing, it saddens me to think about how exciting the world can possibly be (and was!). Here's to Sir Jackie and the duly necessary safety enhancements, but scorn for creative stifling and performance hindering, as has become the modern era.

25. Lindsay_Ross

Lindsay_Ross Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    I would just like to take this opportunity to pay respect to a hero of mine, and although I was not alive early enough to contribute to this thread strictly adhering to the rules, I will encourage this to all:

"The Destiny of a Prince"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XVycgoT7JA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT3OjHI8hho&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjgorfhjslE&feature=related