OFFICIAL 1970-1989 RACING PHOTO THREAD | Page 4 | FerrariChat

OFFICIAL 1970-1989 RACING PHOTO THREAD

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RP, Jan 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I raise my glass of 'Johnnie Walker' in memory of Francois and Ken and think of the good time's.

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    To memories!

3. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    You got that right, here here!!!

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I have a bunch on my computer at work from a mid seventies trip to Watkins Glen and some Can Am stuff at Pocono. I'll see what I can dig up tomorrow.

Clay Regazzoni at the wheel of the Ferrari and Mario Andretti driving the John Player Special, as I recall.

5. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

That would be great. I will have time to post more by the end of the week.

6. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    A more recent of Cevert in the 2001 Robbie Williams (who else could he be trying to portray) music video Love Supreme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHC7YIwnyQs

A bit tongue in cheek, but it was fun to watch and brought back memories of this great period in F1 racing!

7. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

For me, very strange as I never heard of Robbie "Bob" Williams. If he was portraying Cevert, I wish all that happened to Francois was to be locked in his motor home.

8. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    He has been popular in England for a while, I know his video is a far more pleasant than reality. I recently watched the 1970s documentary "the Quick and the Dead" which had some great interviews with Cevert, as well as Revson and others, painful to watch how dangerous the racing was and how poor the quality of the safety teams were back then (Williamson's accident in particular). I started following F1 in 1972 and probably have fonder memories of the 1970s racing than I should, but I have been a passionate fan ever since. It was tough being a fan of a particular driver during the 70s, my favorites were Revson, Lauda, Peterson and Villenueve. I stopped picking favorite drivers after 1982 until the late 80s and became a Senna fan... Great cars, great personalities during this period, but thank god it is not as dangerous now.

9. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    When racing was dangerous, and sex was safe. Now sex is dangerous, and racing is safe. I have a copy of "The Quick And The Dead" (not the western), very shocking film.

Revson was the first driver that I took a portrait of and never had the chance to get autographed. Then Francois and Gilles. From then on, I had the enlarged print by the next race.

Racing was tough in those days. But somehow, you must respect those drivers more than today's woosies. My first heros were Lorenzo Bandini and Fireball Roberts. Then I lost Sachs, Clark, Rindt, Weatherly, Cevert, Donohue, Tom Pryce, Bruce McLaren not to forget those that died in other types of accidents like Graham Hill, Curtis Turner, Al Holbert. Watching them on TV was one thing, you can't really get close. Getting to meet them time and time again, take their photos, and then they went missing, that really sucked.

10. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Thanks for adding, great photos.

11. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #87 RP, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just had some prints scanned, couldn't find as of now the internegs. Scans are just OK, plan to have them color corrected tomorrow. For now, I will post one of my favorite non-corrected photos, of one of my favorite drivers, Mark Donohue. I kept this photo, got it autographed by Mark, gave a copy to Penske.

The setting is Daytona, the first ever IROC race, when it really was an international race of champions. The cars were identical of course Porsches. Mark won. He was just so great.

Photo will be color corrected and enhanced this week.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Wasn't the first ever IROC race at Riverside?

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #89 Gatorrari, Jan 29, 2008
    I finally got around to scanning some of the photos I took at the 1976 U.S. Grand Prix at Watkins Glen. This was only the second race I had ever attended ('75 being the first), but it was the first where I had competent equipment, in the form of a brand-new Canon FTb SLR. It was the only year I shot prints; afterwards I stuck to slides, so I will have to get a slide scanner before I can post later pics.

These photos were taken on Sunday morning as the teams pushed (or drove) the cars from the Kendall garage down to the pits. I think newcomers will be shocked at how accessible the cars and drivers were those days. All this was with an ordinary paddock pass which anyone could buy for $10!

It's obviously Ronnie Peterson driving the March, and I do believe that it is Patrick Depailler driving the Tyrrell six-wheeler. My apologies for the faded color and other "artifacts".

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #90 Gatorrari, Jan 29, 2008
  15. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dave-thank you for those f1 pics;they are from the 1976 season, the first full year I started following F1....

16. TooTall

TooTall Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Kurt O.
    #92 TooTall, Jan 29, 2008
    Here are a few more I happened to already have scanned. I only have about 15% of my slides at home right now, the rest are in storage. Went to every Long Beach F1 race and the first one or two CART races there. I went to all of the Riverside IMSA races, Riverside was a great track to photograph. I miss it dearly.

Cheers,
    Kurt O.

17. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    You are correct. Race 1, 2, and 3 were at Riverside in 1973, my photo was from the first year finale which took place at Daytona in February of 1974. Peter Revson was in second at that race. In this photo, Donohue was crowned the frist IROC champion.

In years later, IROC began the season at Daytona.

18. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #94 RP, Jan 30, 2008
  19. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    any F5000 shots

20. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Somewhere. I did already post the mirror shot of Brian Redman in the F5000 at Elkhart. I do remember photos of drivers like Brett Lunger, but where they are I am not sure. I will look.

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I believe that young lad in the JPS suit is Michael Andretti ?

22. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    #99 Gilles27, Jan 30, 2008
  23. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia