Official 308 GT4 Market Thread | Page 116 | FerrariChat

Official 308 GT4 Market Thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by guygowrie, May 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    That buyer has owned some really cool cars too. I spoke to him a few years ago. Is he on FChat? He had 2 330GTC's, and at some point a Frua bodied Maser A6G.

2. username1

username1 Rookie

Dec 17, 2017
    I saw the car in person. That wasn't a very good deal.

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Care to elaborate?

4. username1

username1 Rookie

Dec 17, 2017
    Sure..
    I am specifically looking for a driver condition, non-concours car, to actually drive regularly, park in parking lots, etc. But this one fell short.
    The car is in a "no man's land" kind of condition.
    It looks good in pictures, but isn't in the kind of condition most would want to own and drive "as is."
    The price paid was IMO an ok price for a "nice driver," but to me it didn't meet that standard. And to get it to acceptable driver condition will cost a lot of money and aggravation.
    To get it to "really nice" condition would cost a fortune, but even getting to nice driver will not be too far off.
    Examples:
    This car is from an era when they weren't worth much. So the last repaint was mediocre.
    There's a decent sized rust bubble forming on the roof between the roof and the chrome trim. Possibly other places (car is from Europe, then NY and has definitely been driven) but I didn't go that deep.
    There's plenty of creases, scratches, some paint cracking etc. and the body is fairly "lumpy," either from bad body prep, or just dings etc. over the years.
    The panel fit isn't great in a lot of places.
    Someone drilled 16 jagged holes on the sail panels, weird and hard to live with.

Bottom line on body/paint: It needs to be stripped down and repainted. Even for a "driver" it's just too tired.

Another example: The chrome trim is in bad shape. It looks good in the pictures, but in a lot of places is very badly scratched up, like someone took sandpaper to it. It's not just normal wear, I'd put it the category of damaged. I'd have to get it rechromed.

Interior: Lots of issues. For example, almost every piece, other than the front seats (which seem to be recovered in some non-OEM material), has rips or tears. People have used it with dangling keys on keychains and it wore a hole in that vinyl area, which is now covered with a glued on, peeling square of vinyl. To fix that is going to require replacing a large part of the dash. Door cards have rips or tears. The pass door pocket is cracked off. The headliner is stained and discolored. The choke lever is broken off and the system doesn't work. Many of the things don't work (AC, radio, clock, choke, at a minimum). Lots of other little things, but even little things need to be addressed and can be very costly on that car. I start adding the cost numbers up in my head and it's just too much.

Bottom line on interior: Unless you can live with random tears, holes, cracked pieces etc. it needs a lot of replacement.

Engine bay: Oil leaks on the bottom. Some questionable craftsmanship on installing things like a fuel cooling system. Plenty of zip ties. Broken pieces, like the air tube that connects the oil cooler to the body opening is completely sheared in half.

Tool kit gone.

IMO one would be better off buying a project for less money, or a good driver's condition car for the same or a little more money.

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Can't wait to read your post on my pc tonight

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
  7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I saw that but didn't post. I remember treading an article years back about a 200k car. and I think this is it

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    btw met a guy today thathas your fuse boxes. we're all waiting!

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yup that's it

10. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Would someone seriously pay that for a car with over 200k miles?

11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    iirc wasn't everything rebuilt/ if so it doesn't have 22k

12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    but yeah seems like a high ask. though the most interesting history for a gt4 ever!

13. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Yea it’s really cool and great story but miles have to count for something, they do on all other cars.

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    yes. I pmd u. btw

15. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Is that what the little green dot on my name means? Was wondering about that.

16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    the green triangle means you are visible that you are online

17. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Replied to your pm. Thanks

18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    guys I'm seeing a email alert that JLF posted on my phone email. but I m not seeing it on my computer . He posted a link about a 83K car at RPM Vermont. are you guys seeing this post?

19. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mike,

Hopefully they liked them :)

Sadly things are getting worse for me time-wise (just did an 80 hour week) and so I can guarantee that I will not be making any more anytime soon... my apologies!

Cheers,

Sam

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    sorry to hear that, at least you are busy in your work. But Fchat needs you!:(:)

21. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    thank you for the reply

22. Ian Bishop

Ian Bishop Karting

Dec 3, 2017
  23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Do they actually have the car. I thought I remember seeing that a while back. But I could be wrong

24. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Comforting to see that the sky hasn't fallen for non concourse / driver market for Gt4's - it was all a bit slow last year but the interest seems to be back. All going well mine will be for sale early summer with the original engine rebuilt - engine rebuild underway with with Vinny @ Auto-Elite in NJ now.