Official 308 GT4 Market Thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Official 308 GT4 Market Thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by guygowrie, May 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
    #126 Lorzen, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    No I don't know it, but I've seen the add before.
    Looks like a US conversion to euro bumpers. At least the side markers look that way.

I'll ask around. Pm me

3. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Raising my hand as a non red Ferrari guy. I may be in a quandrY at some point though as my cars original colour was a crimson red - suspect Rosso Bordeaux. I may be tempted to return it to original given that it's not Rosso Corsa, but not sure that red is the best colour for these cars. The blues are certainly favorites, as are some of the funkier 70's ones. But not racing red....

4. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #129 robertgarven, Sep 20, 2012
    My Friends,

I guess it depends on where you are in life and how you got there. I love all Ferraris and many cars look great in the other colors and thats is fine. The first Ferrari I saw was red and on a racetrack, and this is what sticks in my mind. I never watched Magnum, I never watched Miami Vice, except maybe to see the Ferrari scene, but I read every R&T article and watched every race I could. I find Fly Yellow my other favorite, but when I drive my Ferrari or work on it, the red is what gets my blood racing through my veins!

There is a reason it is called the Red Religion in Italy. I for one appreciate that everyone has an opinion and different point of view but for me German cars should be Silver, French cars Blue, English cars BRG, Japanese cars White etc. I worship Ferrari and Enzo Ferrari is like a god to me. There is a reason a GTO sold for 37M, these are works of art on a scale of the Pieta. The passion runs deep in me. I was born on the same day Dino Ferrari died, and my first memories are of Ferrari and his cars. I wrote him as a child and he wrote me back and sent an autographed photo. I guess for me the red symbolizes everything Ferrari stands for and a tribute to everything Italian. I also think the GT4 is on of the great Ferraris, many may disagree with me and thats OK too. I love my GT4 and I'll still take red! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. stefnews

stefnews Karting

Nov 23, 2010
    EU-Hungary, Budapest
    You see, all the peoples, who visiting the show turned 180 degrees from the GT4-s ?
    I'm forever young

6. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I am glad Jims car found a new owner and hope he joins our group. I also feel sad Jim had to sell his car and hope he got what he was asking as it looks to be worth that and more!
    AT CI in 2004 there was tribute to Dino I got a silver and there was about 50 GT4's Peter even drove from BC. There was lots of interest and many would be owners. The car that came in first was a Transplant DR from UCLA who also had a TDF.

7. Wonderbrad

Wonderbrad Karting

May 21, 2012
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Bradley Price
    Robert, nevermind that the record setting sale of GTO recently was a bright green car...in my opinion the best color scheme of all the GTOs. Just saw it this weekend at Goodwood in fact. But then again I am not a real tifoso like you so what do I know.

8. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Wonderbrad and all other GT4philes,

I don't come here to start flame wars and consider all true Ferrari lovers my brothers. Sometimes my passion gets me carried away and obviously I offended some of you which was not my intent. If I wanted to argue with others I would hang out in P&R. As you see I use my real name here and my comments are never meant to insult or otherwise cause discomfort. I am happy many of you like the wide variety of Ferrari colors and that's fine. If I had 10 Ferrari I would still get Red/Black as that is my color scheme of choice.

I am just glad many more people are starting to see the significance of the GT4. When I decided that was the model I aspired to obtain in the 80's, and purchased mine in 1994 they were very misunderstood. I have spent the last 18 years way before Fchat was even thought of trying to promote, and encourage GT4 ownership and knowledge. I am proud of the fact that even as a non mechanic, I have done all my work on the car and have tried to assist others GT4 owners and prospective ownership as best I can. I am not an expert, but have picked up allot of GT4 knowledge over the years and have shared most of it with all here and on the original Ferrari List the first online Ferrari community and I will continue to do so. I was the first to post the factory upgrade bulletin online and if you or any other others need or want I have almost all the GT4 manuals, etc. in PDF format and will send them to anyone who requests them.

[email protected]

Sincerely,

Rob

9. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Rob, I love your passion for Ferrari and dont think I am alone there, and I think you are leading the Gt4 brethren from the front. The longer I have the car the more right it becomes, and guys like you with cars like yours set the benchmarks of what we can aim for, that is, this is a car that deserves to be done well. Regarding red, well, there is no colour more associate with the mark and, truth be known, when/if I repaint the GT4 I will probably repaint it in its original shade (dark/maroon/bordeaux) of red!!! Very best regards/Guy

10. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Spell check..

11. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #136 full_garage, Sep 20, 2012
    I painted my yellow GT4 Rosso Chiarro, but I love the GT4 in Silver and in the lighter metallic blues as well. Frankly the boxer yellow scheme looked great but to my eyes did the GT4s angular shape no favors.

Red...yes please...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    If any of you want the 1976 GT4 Parts manual I scanned page by page, cleaned up and OCRed so you can search the document for parts numbers or names of parts e-mail me.

13. 7veloce

7veloce Karting

Aug 19, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Tom
  14. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
  15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  16. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
    #141 Lorzen, Oct 14, 2012
  17. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Just wondering what u guys think of this gold gt4 after I provide a little more info. I went to look at this car about 3 weeks ago, and I also talked to someone at apex performance (local Raleigh vintage race shop which has worked on several f cars) who also went to see the car to give the owner an estimate of repairs. The owner and the mechanic who inspected the car both said the car was ran without oil. Apparently, the owners friend was driving and did not realize what was going on! Nevertheless, I was told the engine "seized up". I was also told by the mechanic that the owner put 8 quarts of oil in the engine afterwards and when the dip stick was pulled, nothing registered. The owner said no oil was on the floor, so at least no whole in the block, etc, but where did the oil go? Perhaps transmission housing? Any ideas here? Anyway, the shop told me the engine was useless and they recommended to the owner to buy a used long block and use existing intake, exhaust etc. they quoted 10k for a used long block and install. Personally I had my reservations about proceeding down that route because I still would not know what the internals of the used engine were like, still would have the issue of sodium valves to deal with, etc. apex performance said the last 3 308 engines they rebuilt ran about 25k each ---- but of course that was probably a Carobu or Norwood type rebuild with all issues taken care of.

Anyway, bottom line is I made an offer on the car but owner decided to hold out for a little more. The other issue is leather is starting to get tired, so car would be fine driving now, but I would also have eventually needed to redo interior, which was starting to get dirty and sticky in some areas. The whole reason I made the offer was the body was in really good shape. I saw NO rust at all, which on these cars I feel is rather unusual. Anyway, after my initial offer I remained in touch with owner and eventually I decided to call back and increase my offer, but I found out he just accepted a deposit on the car the previous day.

Sorry for the long, rambling post, just curious what everyone thinks of this car, especially since if his current deal falls thru owner told me I am next in line at my recently raised offer.

18. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I think you should forget this car and find another one.
    Plan on the worst, full engine rebuild. Gearbox who knows. What else could be wrong, everything and anything. Unless your getting this car for 7k its not worth it, and I still wouldn't touch it for that money.
    There are plenty of good GT4's that don't need work, at least nothing compared to a new engine, that you can pick up for 30k.

19. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
    Glenn based on your comments this type of scenario is perfect for you. You get a solid body with lots of bits and then you build a car to your taste.

Forget the fear mongering; a fat wallet and Rocco can resolve everything except rust!

20. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Buy it and fix it.

21. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    my car holds around 11 quarts. I recently had a oil cooler failure. I can see how if this happened it could cause a problem. I was lucky to catch it.....

The sticky seats can be fixed with leatherique. Does he have the OEM wheels and steering wheel??

22. 7veloce

7veloce Karting

Aug 19, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I do not think it is a good deal. You can find and buy an excellent gt4 around 28K-32K or 20K for an average one. The best part is you can get in and drive it right away and work on it as needed. My suggestion is start looking.....

23. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Car does come with original wheels and steering wheel. As it stands now, I will find out early next week wether the existing deal goes thru or not. If not, then I am next in line for the car and all associated parts, manuals, etc.

24. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Wow. I wish I had an extra engine to be building while Im driving looks like you might have the chance to have an extra car!!!

25. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
    #150 Lorzen, Oct 29, 2012