Official 308 GTB/GTS Market Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Official 308 GTB/GTS Market Thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by vaccarella, Jan 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    Are you also keeping tabs on the "private" sales?..or only the results from auction houses? BTW, there are 2 cars coming up at the Auctions America ( a RM company) Spring sale in Auburn, Indiana. One is a 308 and the other a 328.

2. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    And ebay displays final price.

3. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think we're just tracking real world auctions here. If you want to add anything, by all means contribute if there is some verifiable published sale price. But let's rather avoid the anecdotal stuff. When someone sells privately we never really know what happened.

4. ColoradoTiger

ColoradoTiger Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What about Ferraripilot's car:
    1976 steel 308 GTB 86,xxx miles 3.4L Engine (less than 2,000 miles on the engine)
    $69,000 - sold in 15 hours.
    Isn't that sale worthy of this thread?

5. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    I was just curious what everyone thinks a fair price is for an up to date, serviced driver condition 308 GTB PRE-CAT car - just interested in 76 & 77 cars as I think these will command a premium in the future. Also, what is everyone's opinion on the value of a dry sump car versus a wet sump car --- all things being equal. I realize a dry sump car is Euro-spec only and would have been converted to US/EPA specs if it is here in the US, but does the market place a premium on the dry sump car versus wet sump?

6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Whoever had a great car won't sell cheap because they can't replace it with much else.

People will say dry sump is more, and maybe so, but it's all based on condition. Do you you buy a better conditioned wet sump over a dry sump if the same price ? Issue is, you won't find both of these cars in exact condition for sale at the same time, as they say, no two used cars are ever the same.

You won't find a decent car go for cheap, not enough cars to begin with , and many more buyers now than 5 yrs ago.

Buy the best one you can find, and pull the trigger....life's to short if you want a ferrari that's almost 40 yrs old.

7. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

A Euro car this old might get grandfathered in, but I don't know about NC.

8. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Since these cars are now all older than 25 years, I think EPA atleast is exempt, not sure about DOT. Anyway, real question I had was for a comparable condition car, does anybody have an idea what if any premium the market would place on a dry versus wet sump? I realize what I am really asking is if the Euro spec is more valuable than the US spec since dry sumps only came on original Euro delivery cars. Normally I would always value a Euro spec car lower than a comparable US spec car, but this is one scenario that Euro spec may be more desirable given the dry sump. Also, I am very familar with the Euro spec versus US spec issue as I have a Boxer and all of these cars were originally Euro spec.

9. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    As far as I know, the 100 US glass cars have all the same goods inside the engine as the euro's even though they are wet. Do not know about the steel cars. Good luck finding one. :)

10. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    Yes, I think there is a premium. The dry sump has a bragging rights advantage. The other angle is that most people prefer the looks of the euro. If you want to compete in concours, US cars need keep the OEM bumpers and emissions equipment, which can be a drawback depending on how you feel about the appearance of the US cars.

If you are buying to drive, the US car is the better value and can easily be made to look and perform like a euro car if that is your preference. If you care about showing, or future appreciation, the dry sump car is the better bet.

11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Everything about a euro carb GTB is better. Over 25 years old, so no DOT/EPA issues. The only weird issue I had was financing. My first bank would not finance a euro car because the loan officers are jack-tards and think it can't be registered/meet EPA in the US without modification, which we all know is BS and goes back to the 80s and 90s when the cars actually were different...call it the Rainman scenario.

12. MikeRSR

MikeRSR Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Surrey, England
    #37 MikeRSR, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just as a point of reference as there are no photos on this thread so far, here is my UK dry sump engine bay, with the oil tank in the foreground.
    Perhaps someone could post the equivalent wet sump picture from an early car as a comparison.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    This is really a Euro v US car question. Euro cars command a small premium over their US counterparts, especially the glass cars obviously. Steel dry sump cars don't have such a large premium really, the issue is really nice cars just aren't coming to market so it's difficult to say, I just know in the EU they are more, but then again everything is more haha.

14. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    This. Until a couple of cars change hand's its hard to know. In the 5 years I've being paying attention, there haven't been many euro dry sump cars for sale in the US. My recollection may be poor, but I can only think of a handful. I've seen more euro GTB QV cars for sale in the US (one of which I bought) than euro GTB carbs.

Given the current pricing gap, I think many of the euro cars will find their way back to europe come sale time unless the US market catches up.

15. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    A few months ago a euro carb GTB sold in the US for about $35K in what appeared to be moderately decent shape. Just a month or so ago a Koenig GTB euro carb car was listed around $36K but failed to meet reserve at $26K on Fleabay and was then relisted but the auction was closed early with bids around $22K presumably sold outside auction. Compared to some pretty nice US GTBs, these were a little shabbier. It looks like not much of a premium on steel dry sumps but their condition was not as good, so hard to say where they really sit.

16. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    in europe 308 dry sump GTB in great conditions is 50.000 euro to 60.000 euro plus
    there are not many nice ones to choose from...
    they command a premium over wet sump GTS or GTB (they are usually US GTB that were imported to our market)

17. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #42 st@ven, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    I do think this is indeed the case. In Europe there's a considerable price gap between US cars and Euro models. Just for fun I spent some hours on statistics, looking at the single biggest online marketplace in Europe. Autoscout.
    Some figures:
    Cars for sale ( except 4pcs of gt4’s) 57
    US models : 13 Euro models: 44

On average pricing the first two figures: first is for all cars, the second is for all cars with exception of the cheapest and most expensive one. After that is the range. All pricing in Euro
    Average US models: 36600 36220 Range 28900 - 48500
    Average Euro models: 47400 46200 Range 31000 - 112000
    Average all GTS: 44000 43700 Range 28900 - 70000
    Average all GTB: 47600 45000 Range 29800 - 112000
    Average all GTS/GTB i models: 37000 37000 Range 28900 - 50000
    Average all QV models: 51000 50000 Range 38000 - 70000
    Average All carbed models: 48500 45400 range 31000 - 112000
    Cheapest available: 28900 ( a Us model GTSi of 1980)
    Most expensive one: 112000 (a glass dry sump of 1976)
    FYI: Average advertised mileage: 63000 ( highest 150000, a 1976 eu gt4)

To go back to the OP: average for a dry sump: 78000 72600 range 48800 - 11200
    Currently there's not a single US carburetor GTB car for sale in Europe

Just based on this:
    Indeed there’s a considerable price gap between US and Euro models based on average but both series have a huge overlap.
    QV cars are more expensive, closely followed by carburettor ones. Dry sumped cars have by far the highest average (although only 3 for sale currently)
    The i models are almost 10K behind.
    There's no real difference between GTB vs GTS although the GTB comes at a little premium

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    here in Europe the carbed GTB were all dry sump. So it's just GTB Vs. GTS.
    Old seventies cars are very hard to find in good contitions, so i think price it's just how the car contitions are. i saw the carbed GTB have more or less the same price than the carbed GTS.
    Here an USA car is very low price and hard to sell.
    So the problem it's not because it's a wet sump GTB: the problem is that a wet sump GTB means USA car, that here nobody wants unless it's very cheap.

ciao

19. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    For those of you that don't have one.

Forget the price of this or that.

Go find your own :D

20. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The cams and pistons of all markets were the same until 1978. Early US GTBs through 77 had Euro spec cams. When US spec carb cars required cats the cams changed, less lift and duration, different carb jets too.

21. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    from a "collector" point of view the best 308 is the early RARE glass car
    of course the top is the original dry sump european glass car. that is what it was intended to be and dry sump engine was a thought to go "racing" whith the 308 model

the 308 GTB steel (in its euro dry sump version) is the second collector car because it is 90% the same car: same engine, carbed, dry sump, same look etc...

do not get me wrong! i like 308s, all of them
    but knowing a bit of how values go for collectables cars i am betting the 308 GTB dry sump will do it well for value in the near future
    this thread is for value only

this said i have no idea of how the later cars perform better or are more reliable etc...all these factors are less important for value when cars become old and collectable
    look at countach values: the LP400 is by far the most expensive but hardly the best running and more reliable of the series
    it is the original, pure, carbed version built in few numbers...

22. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Received a PM last week from someone in the UK, wanting to know if I would sell me car. So much for US glass cars not having value. My car is not for sale. :)

23. jessup

jessup Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2014
    Santa Clara CA USA
    Full Name:
    Jessup
    From what I have found during my hunt, I would say $45-55k. + $10k for euro

24. MikeRSR

MikeRSR Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Surrey, England
    So that will be a no then.....

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My new price after dealing with a bunch of low ball tire kickers is $70K each.

Leave a number, I'll call you.....

Go buy a rusted out 246, have fun!